💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's mind... *long read*

OMonster

Featured Posts

OMonster

Having reflected on Gaga's Met Gala piece, the intelligence and hidden intricacies within it have really blown my mind. 

I think Gaga knew that she *had* to do something different to a singular, outrageously-camp outfit. Whilst we were all expecting something in line with her previous style, Gaga's self-awareness allowed her to take a far more considered approach to the Met's theme. Personally, I think she knew  that she couldn't 'win' the night through fashion alone. Gaga has worn hundreds upon hundreds of camp outfits over the last decade - outfits that she knew could never be matched. 

And how could they? I mean, really? How could Gaga ever top what she has already delivered in terms of outrageous, camp fashion? She couldn't - she's done it all. And that is why, as opposed to reducing herself to self-imitation,  she opted to tackle things from a fresh perspective. "Strip me from all my clothes, right down to even my underwear... and I am *still* camp" - that's the message that Gaga was sending here. A message that extended beyond the clothes... a message that, with great irony, rejected the notion that camp = fashion. Because, to Gaga... camp = her very being. 

I also think Gaga's approach to the Met was a good example of how she defiantly, and continuously, frees herself from expectation. With the theme of Camp, everyone expected Gaga to wear something shocking. They expected her to be the star of the night - for the fashion. But Gaga isn't interested in playing other people's game - the game of the 'machine', as she has called it. And by walking the carpet first, and by doing so alone, she made it clear that she wasn't interested in 'competing' with other camp looks. She didn't want to be part of a narrative of comparison... she did her own thing, and then she left. And I think that's a really powerful reminder of how Gaga, even in contexts of great expectation, will refuse to play the role she is booked to play. 

And in her defiance, there is always great irony. She *was* the star of the night - but she was the star *she* wanted to be. She wasn't there as the 'queen of camp fashion' as she was intended to be. She was there as the 'queen of defining camp'... and she did so with great integrity, and great intelligence. 

Beyond the look itself, Gaga's performance was a true work of pop cultural commentary. In presenting herself as a pin-up model (through the fashion, the doll-like movements), Gaga ironically reduced herself to visual desire. "Look at me, I'm so pretty, take my picture, let me strip for you..." - this is a clear comment on how Gaga views the music industry and entertainment business. Through the medium of camp expression, Gaga - at an event that underpins this very culture - satirically parodied the superficiality of pop-stardom. And I think it's one of the most powerful messages of her career. "You might think I'm a pop-star for your consumption, but the joke is on you" - take her photo, make her money, make her a star... but 'you' (the industry) will never have her soul. It's very DWUW. 

And then, coupled with the performance, came the prop of the makeup wagon. To me, in addition to the obvious exposure for Brandon's brand, I think this told the story of how pop-stars (and indeed pin-up models, too) are reduced to mediums of consumerism and capitalism. "Look at how pretty I am... buy these products" - Gaga, again, reduces herself, and her image, to a money-making promoter. Stripped down to her raunchy underwear, pulling along a wagon filled with beauty products, Gaga was the epitome of 'promo-girl' - the very thing she has always refused to be.  She will never sell her soul to make other people money. *She* is in charge of what she promotes, and how she promotes it - not the industry. 

Finally, I think the enclosed 'Joanne' hats within the wagon really tied everything together. In the world of show-business, Gaga's truth has continuously been locked away. Fame, industry executives and - unfortunately - even fans themselves, have tried to define *who* 'Lady Gaga' is. And through locking away those Joanne hats, I think Gaga is commenting on how she will never again lose sight of who she truly is (as she did during 2012-13). She may always return to her performative self, and she will always be the girl in ten inch heels... but no matter  how much the industry / fans will try to deny this fact -  she is not her image; she is not who anyone says 'Lady Gaga' is - she is Joanne.

If you've read this far, then thanks for giving me the time to present my understanding of the #MetGaga. I never intended to type down this much (:blush:), but once I started, I just couldn't stop. If anything at all, I  hope this post reminds us to truly trust Gaga's vision. She may not do what we expect her to do, or even what we 'think' we really want her to do... but she will always come out on top. Her intelligence and self-awareness are stronger than we give credit. This woman knows what she is doing, and she is in full control of her career. 

To the future, monsters :vegas:

Spoiler

Typing all this out, I couldn't help but think back to the SBHTS. Again, we expected something a little 'crazier', as such... but what we received, was a truly classic and timeless performance. Gaga defied self-imitation, and really presented her career in a celebratory and uncontroversial way. She, again, refused to play the narrative of "what shocking thing will she do next?" and really made a completely different, and new, statement about 'who' Lady Gaga is. 

We really should trust Gaga with these high-profile appearances, shouldn't we? She knows what we want, whilst defying what we think we want. A true legend. 

subtext / fantasy

edengowon

I completely agree with this and it was a fascinating read

Another opinion/theory I have is that the costume represents rebirth.

The first costume, the pink dress, represented Joanne and Cheek to Cheek, it was classy, pink (like Joanne) and similar to the Jazz and Piano dress she wears. The dress is also simple, not intricately patterned or covered in props, it's basic and simple, like much of Joanne and C2C.

The black dress represented A Star Is Born since it is a very similar style to her dress from the Oscars and the umbrella makes the look seem very retro/1950s. She walks in this dress like she's on a movie red carpet, much like she did for much of the ASIB era.

The third costume, the other pink dress represented The MET Gala, camp fashion with over the top glasses and a prop dedicated to makeup and beauty and fashion (this stage could also possibly represent Haus Beauty).

Then finally she emerges from those shells and she is naked, free and wild, back to her usual self (the first time she's really stripped on stage/in public since ARTPOP), emerging from the cover of Joanne and returning to her crazy self.

That's just my theory.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Ziggy

I liked that Brandon said that they had in mind returning her to a bra and panties because that was, essentially, the Gaga coined look. No one quite does it the way she does in that others typically have more adornment to their outfits but when Gaga's going bra and panties, you might just get the Alejandro video or TMB where it's a little bit costume and burlesque, but still VERY "low budget". I loved the idea that the whole concept was about her as a camp individual rather than her as an individual in a camp outfit. It's the reason her look worked so well. I was telling my friend this, but it's VERY evident that camp-ness and queerness are deeply intertwined (duh), and you can tell based purely on who really nailed the theme, who didn't even try, and who made an effort (good for them), but didn't quite nail it.

Gaga nailed it because she's really an incredibly queer person, something that I don't think gets enough recognition or is boiled down to who she's dating or f*****g.

Glamourpuss

This was a great read and well written. Thanks for sharing this. I think your analysis is spot on. 

This is what I love about Gaga. She puts so much thought into everything she does.  She adds layers and makes it more deeper. 

ChromeAngel

Gaga fans are so smart it actually blows me away sometimes. This was well thought out, articulated, and SPOT ON. There’s some aspects that I didn’t even think about. Like how you said she can strip away all the fashion and underneath she’s still Gaga, she’s still CAMP. I knew there was something to that but you helped me fully understand. Thank you for this!!!! 

Our minds ugh... it amazes me sometimes :sure:

mamo

this was such a good read and interpretation of this iconic performance piece - thank you!

you can serve it to me ancient city style...

chiuga

That's why she's the artist we are the public.

She's that bitch~

:ohwell:

OMonster

Thanks guys for your kind comments. 

Been feeling low lately, and I really enjoyed escaping for a bit into Gaga's creation that was the truly iconic moment we all were witness to. 

:worship2:

subtext / fantasy

Diamond heart99

That was a fantastic analysis. I don’t know that we can ever know what’s in anyone’s mind for sure, but I would dare say this could be spot on.

Posts like these are why despite my many complaints I like GGD. 

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

The Z

Thanks for taking the time to share your *great* interpretation with us.

While I think your commentary is right, I also have the feeling that the storyline behind it all has something to do with self confidence. First you wear "masks" to feel comfortable, and then, as you grow up, you're strong enough to be you in the most natural way :) 

Archived