Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Let's talk MDNA

Phoebe Buffay

Featured Posts

androiduser

personally, my favorite of Madonna's more recent albums... great album songs... absolutely ruined by awful single choices and cool mom attempts.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shoful
32 minutes ago, Phoebe Buffay said:

rebel heart is one of her best but hard candy is worse than trash.

I agree Rebel Heart is good. I don’t understand the hate. Hard Candy is really not THAT bad. Its her second worse to MDNA but like its leagues better than MDNA

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

djparky
27 minutes ago, androiduser said:

personally, my favorite of Madonna's more recent albums... great album songs... absolutely ruined by awful single choices and cool mom attempts.

Madonna has been desperately doing "cool mom" for the last decade, and is still doing it.

It has 4 or 5 decent tracks on it which is double the other 2 albums.

Overall Madge phoned it in, I believe William Orbit called her out for it. There is something called Madonnalogues on you tube which in a funny way shows how she made the album

There was the usual rapper cut and paste in of whoever she believed would make her cool with the kids, same with Brain Fart and the new album

The tour was pretty good, it needed less new stuff which most people didn't want to hear and more hits.

Standout track was Love Spent, but I'm a Sinner, Masterpiece, Falling Free and Beautiful Killer weren't bad

Ricardo

half the album is pure trash but between Rebel Heart and MDNA I prefer MDNA's trash

sillynate
7 hours ago, elijahfan said:

the song S.E.X. is totally unredeemable  and a disgrace in her discography, no matter what anyone says......

6 hours ago, Phoebe Buffay said:

oh you're totally right about s.e.x. that and holy water are pure trash and a disgrace in her discography indeed.

What are your guys’ opinions on Erotica the song?

ChromaticPrincess
11 minutes ago, sillynate said:

What are your guys’ opinions on Erotica the song?

idk about them but i love that song and that album

✨oh the lights dim while we’re dancing yeah the floor is shaking in this disco heaven✨

sillynate
7 minutes ago, PrincessVenus said:

idk about them but i love that song and that album

I’m just curious because to me SEX is a modern version of Erotica lol

Musicisfreedom

I think it is an album to be appreciated by listening front to back. It is actually a really good album and I love the songs. I think it is her least focused and it has less of a specific theme and aesthetic than most of her past work, but it is still a really good album. Also, I think it is possibly the most of all her albums where she was given/bought songs to work on rather than worked closely with a producer to create the album.

Bitch I'm Madonna

3 minutes ago, Musicisfreedom said:

I think it is an album to be appreciated by listening front to back. It is actually a really good album and I love the songs. I think it is her least focused and it has less of a specific theme and aesthetic than most of her past work, but it is still a really good album. Also, I think it is possibly the most of all her albums where she was given/bought songs to work on rather than worked closely with a producer to create the album.

Totally agree! 💯

HausOfHarlow

MDNA was (of all albums..) the album that turned me into a fan of her. The super bowl performance coupled with the album's release made me discovery all of her discography. I got pit tickets to her MDNA show, which was absolutely amazing! 

As for the album, I now do see that it is weaker than some of her other works, and she was making music simply to make music and capitalize off of it, rather than stick to a cohesive theme or genre. Still, Girl Gone Wild is such a bop, Gang Bang is the angry song we all want to sing, I'm Addicted is EDM bliss, Turn Up the Radio is that fun bop song that literally makes me want to turn up the volume of. 

I oddly appreciate the lyricism of Some Girls (though the vocal production is jarring), Love Spent (especially the I've version) is most incredible, and Falling Free is one of the most beautiful songs I have on my iTunes library. Beautiful Killer and Best Friend are to sold bonus tracks too. All the others I mentioned, I have no thoughts for. I F*cked Up is pleasantly surprising, granted, a little too explicit for no real reason. 

I think that MDNA was her weakest album. I do still listen to “I dont give A..”, “Gang Bang”, and “Girl Gone wild” (“Falling Free” is ok). It is not a bad album per se and If it were any other artist I would think otherwise maybe. But its Madonna. When you have a discography with albums like Like a Prayer, Erotica, and Ray of LIght; an album like MDNA just pales by comparison. 

12 hours ago, elijahfan said:

It’s not half as bad as people like to say it is, there are serious bops on that one. The main thing that irks me with MDNA is that she desperately tried to go on Gaga territory and prove something.

Rebel Heart, on the other hand, is the real trainwreck of her discography and I’ll never understand how people can put it above MDNA and tracks like Gang Bang, I’m Addicted or Love Spent, that are totally brilliant. While I don’t hate everything on Rebel Heart, the brilliant moments are sparse... Some tracks make it feel like a Madonna parody record. Tastes are subjective of course, but no true Madonna fan in their right mind would consider Rebel Heart a remotely good album as a whole.

i agree so much. rebel heart doesnt exist for me... thats how i deal with it

hamster11

calling gaga reductive and put out the worst album of her career was a bold move

i don't hate it tho. Masterpiece and Love Spent are my favorites

Archived