Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

What’s wrong with Gaga and U.S pop radios???

vertigostick

Featured Posts

vertigostick

Shallow is a massive ww smash, it gets airplay literally everywhere else, except on U.S top 40 radio. Something’s fishy, it doesn’t make sense at all.

Her last single that performed decently (not even good!) on top 40 airplay was Million Reasons. The Cure was more or less ignored, just like Shallow.

The infamous #2018radioisours of Mark Nilan Jr. could not be further away from truth. :emma:

It’s really her only weakness left. But since radio airplay literally CONTROLS the U.S Hot 100, it may become a problem if they keep boycotting her next releases.

WHY ??? 

Judas Society

Yea, it even made Ariana's fanbase get brave and compare 7 rings to Bad Romance and even said ask what BR's impact was except on Ava's SBP. Though that tweet was from an account with Riri's face as profile.  :excuseu:

Monsieur D

This is not new. Radio are not supporting Gaga since 2013 and plus she's over 30. US radio is fishy (always has been), so... 

The same thing has happen to Christina, Britney, Pink, etc... when them were over 30, US radio stopped playing their new songs.

This is not fair at all, but it's the way it is. Thank god we are in the streaming era, and every artist can succeed without radio support. 

BLACKOUTbritney
8 minutes ago, vertigostick said:

The infamous #2018radioisours of Mark Nilan Jr. could not be further away from truth. :emma:

Well I mean, Radio was theirs. Just outside of the US :selena:

Here in Australia I haven't heard Gaga on the radio this much since Poker Face. You can't even take a piss at a public toilet without hearing shallow playing :diane:

its not radio friendly, too screamy. BUT I admit they SHOULD play it more bc look at its success, whether they like it or not the audience seems to like it.

10 minutes ago, Mister D said:

This is not new. Radio are not supporting Gaga since 2013 and plus she's over 30. US radio is fishy (always has been), so... 

The same thing has happen to Christina, Britney, Pink, etc... when them were over 30, US radio stopped playing their new songs.

This is not fair at all, but it's the way it is. Thank god we are in the streaming era, and every artist can succeed without radio support. 

Basically. Gaga isn’t old by any means, but females only can make it on radio in their 20s.

BYE

Arturo

There are roughly 100 US Pop radio stations. That means roughly 100 people control the entire Pop radio format in the US as there’s only one program director per station.

Enough programmers supported it to get to #23 on the Pop chart. But the rest felt like it wasn’t fit for the format. And as amazing as the song is, are they wrong? It sticks out like sore thumb. I’m not defending them because I’d wish the programmers that hated it didn’t but it is what it is. At least about half of the stations still support her. 

Nosferatu

The fact that the song is so big on Itunes, Spotify and Youtube and yet it ranks on the top 70 on the radio chart it's truly tragic. Back when MR was being snubbed by radio the excuse was that it was not big on streaming and thus it wasn't actually popular enough to get played. Now, Shallow is struggling even more despite being popular on every metric possible, and the excuse is that it's not "radio friendly enough" - but then there's The Cure, the most generic thing Gaga's ever released as a single which also struggled on radio :emma: Imagine how radios are gonna treat LG6's lead single, which I doubt is gonna be as big as Shallow on Itunes/Spotify/Youtube/AM... ugh :laughga:

LilyLark

It's not just Gaga, Bey is also a prime example of this weirdness.  Like in terms of pure albums moved, it's something like Adele > Taylor > Beyonce > Gaga/Rihanna with Ariana's latest topping Gaga/Rihanna and then > Katy.

But in terms of actual singles on the US Hot 100, most of the girls who move the most albums (Gaga, Bey, Adele)  often have the least radio play in the US. Lemonade was a smash hit, sold something like a 100k more than Ariana's latest, and yet the highest one of the singles debuted was at 10.  Adele had one track come at #1, the rest peaked at 8 or nine of her last album and yet she sold/streamed a record amount. Even Taylor got less radio play than Ariana and Halsey. And for all one might say that Gaga and Bey's latest are less radio friendly, the amount of pure albums moved should have had an influence on what the radios decided to spin because of popularity.

I don't think it's the typical or traditional payola, but I do think certain labels do push/work with radio stations way more closely.  But with how the music industry is constantly changing, I'm not sure judging by radio play is the standard set of success anymore.

Archived