Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Katy's Halftime Show is Underrated

Suspiria

Featured Posts

Suspiria

I noticed in all these recent "best halftime show" lists Katy Perry's never places very high. Which is a shame because she put on a pretty flawless production...

YjM1ZjhmMjEwNCMvam9kM1lZS1AtT252WTNNN2hG

Her setlist had songs from all her albums, including 2 smashes from her most recent at the time. Unlike Madonna (who unforgivably skipped so many of her best songs to make way for LMFAO and Gimme All Your Luvin:saladga:), Katy actually explored her whole career.

This also really showcased her relevancy and success. Compare this to Gaga, who only sang songs from the first 2 years of her almost decade-long career (plus the non-hit MR shoehorned in because it was the Joanne era), which kind of did make her seem like a fad. Where's late BTW, ARTPOP and C2C representation?

In terms of props and sets, she definitely took the cake for recent performances. It was so kitsch and OTT, it was just perfect for a Katy show. The entrance on the giant gold lion has to be one of the most iconic. And the fact the whole stage appeared to change for each song kept it fresh. She had 4 costume changes, which again just stopped it from getting boring - halftime shows with no costume changes or stage changes tend to drag on.

The whole show ran like clockwork, the only fault was left shark, which turned put to be a great bit of promo. Even Beyoncé's show had more visible flaws than this (she was always in the wrong position for the projected silhouettes and outlines on the floor:reductive:).

It's a real testament to Katy and her team's commitment to rehearsing and planning every last detail to make it perfect, and I think she should get more credit for it:bon:

giphy.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Suspiria said:

Unlike Madonna (who unforgivably skipped so many of her best songs to make way for LMFAO and Gimme All Your Luvin:saladga:)

I am still mad that she completly SNUBBEDT Confessions.

Like wtf, Hung Up is probably her most successful song :saladga:

Just like Madonna, Katy had a fun show which was great to watch. You could tell that both put a lot of energy into their performances, unlike Maroon 5 :lana:

Economy

Everyone here hated on her performance at the time she did it

Waiting for everyone now to suddenly change their minds now that Katy is no longer on top of her game and gets less hate as a result... :coffee:

Nikolai Barrow

What's with the random Gaga hate? :triggered:

Katy's half time show was pretty good. She's just in her gp hates her phase so she isn't gonna make high.

IcePrincess

I think it's overrated - in GP minds...

It's the production - it's good but not Katy herself.

Gaga didn't need all of the WOW factor from production, big lions, big screens and animations. Just herself

AlexanderMagno

Well, it's true that she deliver an extraordinary production.

I think the issue there is that it was too kitsch. Sometimes too childish, silly. Too Katy Perry show. And the Halftime Show is delivered by Katy Perry, which doesn't mean it's a Katy Perry show. She was not able to create something halfway that.

And the vocals were not good.

Suspiria
3 minutes ago, Economy said:

Everyone here hated on her performance at the time she did it

Waiting for everyone now to suddenly change their minds now that Katy is no longer on top of her game and gets less hate as a result... :coffee:

In my defence I wasn't on GGD at the time so I wasn't the one hating:selena:

3 minutes ago, Nikolai Barrow said:

What's with the random Gaga hate? :triggered:

Katy's half time show was pretty good. She's just in her gp hates her phase so she isn't gonna make high.

When you've watched Gaga's performance as many times as I have you can't help but think of every possible improvement that could be made:poot:

But that's true... hopefully her C2C era is on its way.

Gimme More

i don't think it's anything special - btw i've never thought of katy as a good performer. (not jumping on the hate because of the britney drama)

she's just very blah, her first two albums are good though.

#JusticeForBritney ♡

Nikolai Barrow
Just now, Suspiria said:

In my defence I wasn't on GGD at the time so I wasn't the one hating:selena:

When you've watched Gaga's performance as many times as I have you can't help but think of every possible improvement that could be made:poot:

But that's true... hopefully her C2C era is on its way.

Isn't she performing Jazz somwhere soon actually? LOL

Ally Campana

The Gaga hate is soooo unnecessary. Katy was good but the show as a whole was too gimmicky and though Gaga’s could be improved, the rawness and imperfection carried by the show makes it better. And it’s absolutely perfect to me. 

Does it matter? Damage is done

Ally Campana

There’s a reason why the critics didn’t place it high. Simple.

Does it matter? Damage is done

MonSwiftAnton

Agreed. It was very a very special and fun show. She has always been the most fun pop star out there tbh.

14 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

I noticed in all these recent "best halftime show" lists Katy Perry's never places very high. Which is a shame because she put on a pretty flawless production...

YjM1ZjhmMjEwNCMvam9kM1lZS1AtT252WTNNN2hG

Her setlist had songs from all her albums, including 2 smashes from her most recent at the time. Unlike Madonna (who unforgivably skipped so many of her best songs to make way for LMFAO and Gimme All Your Luvin:saladga:), Katy actually explored her whole career.

This also really showcased her relevancy and success. Compare this to Gaga, who only sang songs from the first 2 years of her almost decade-long career (plus the non-hit MR shoehorned in because it was the Joanne era), which kind of did make her seem like a fad. Where's late BTW, ARTPOP and C2C representation?

In terms of props and sets, she definitely took the cake for recent performances. It was so kitsch and OTT, it was just perfect for a Katy show. The entrance on the giant gold lion has to be one of the most iconic. And the fact the whole stage appeared to change for each song kept it fresh. She had 4 costume changes, which again just stopped it from getting boring - halftime shows with no costume changes or stage changes tend to drag on.

The whole show ran like clockwork, the only fault was left shark, which turned put to be a great bit of promo. Even Beyoncé's show had more visible flaws than this (she was always in the wrong position for the projected silhouettes and outlines on the floor:reductive:).

It's a real testament to Katy and her team's commitment to rehearsing and planning every last detail to make it perfect, and I think she should get more credit for it:bon:

giphy.gif

I think it's one of the best  halftime shows when it comes to  show the whole career of an artist because it's not an easy thing to do... but at that time, her whole career was a big hit. 

Other than that it was so childish 

Tbh it was too childis.. at leas for me.

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

Archived