Underperforming? No social message? :duck:

I think we shouldn't pay attention to any of this. :rip: 

"dont trust this crooked manipulative rat!" - @NichuuB

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
andy232000
3 minutes ago, hellothing said:

This article is stupid. Like, it really is so stupid. The antagonist of the film was addiction. How is that not a social message. Thanks for posting the article in the OP, they don't deserve clicks in their stupid website.

I agree there is a very strong theme of addiction and love co-dependency. However, its very well intertwinned within the film so its become very subtle even if its very much what the movie is about. That, and also many people see this as a clasic love story

Kinda agree, the campaing was the same repetitive thing over and over again: thanking Bradley every 3 seconds, 100 people (iconic), pasta leftovers, “Bradley, you can sing”, there’s a reason we can quote it, because we heard it a lot of times. I also think the huge buzz in the media kinda built a lot of expectations and a different tone to the movie. 

ryhanna

No offence but this is a load of ****. 

"Underperforming." Where the hell did this expectation of it literally sweeping every possible award come from? That rarely happens. Film awards season is normally pretty competitive, and being nominated is a big achievement. I hate this attitude that's basically saying "unless you've won everything, you didn't do well enough."

Quartz
Just now, andy232000 said:

I agree there is a very strong theme of addiction and love co-dependency. However, its very well intertwinned within the film so its become very subtle even if its very much what the movie is about. That, and also many people see this as a clasic love story

...that's how you say a social message, by SHOWING it as a part of life. It's supposed to be intertwined within the plot because that's how reality works! I had an addiction and I know how comfortably one can settle in with it. It doesn't stand out from life because addiction IS life for an addict. :saladga:

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

Serial Chiller

So... destruction of fame, depression and addiction are not social statements? Not to mention a huge ass nod to the LGBT community. Good to know. Apparently a movie needs to scream social justice in pop-up font on its poster or have its entire cast of a select race/minority group to be considered ‘woke’

Trash article. Are people actually paying to read this? 

Yeah right. Bohemian Rhapsody had such an amazing social message. :triggered:

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

zakariah

I wouldn't call it 'underpeforming', it's more like Warner Bros didn't really handle the campaign as well as they could have, mainly the social message of the struggles and battles of addiction, plus they really focued on gaga A LOT, so naturally voters and critics would be more focused on gaga and kind of brush bradley to the side since he's been in the industry for quite some time now and they want someone new to talk & rave about (gaga)

Spoiler

plus I just feel like bradley doesn't have many people in the industry that he can truly call his 'friend', and that's kinda why he got snubbed for Best Director I guess, cos he doesn't have enough connections with directors of the industry

andy232000
5 minutes ago, hellothing said:

...that's how you say a social message, by SHOWING it as a part of life. It's supposed to be intertwined within the plot because that's how reality works! I had an addiction and I know how comfortably one can settle in with it. It doesn't stand out from life because addiction IS life for an addict. :saladga:

I agree! But hollywood likes its concepts fed literally...that and also that Bradley nor Gaga campaigned that much on the addiction part of the film. I think they focused more on the song and tragic love story whereas films like BP and BR campaigned by using the “race” or “LGBT”card.... 

Isn't the movie about addiction and mental health? Or did I watch a completely different movie?

Kindness rules all.

Reality

When the article says that ASIB is "underperforming", they mean it in the sense that it's not winning a lot of awards. Yes, it's gotten amazing critical/audience success, yes, it's getting a lot of nominations, yes, the soundtrack is doing incredible, but it's also not winning a lot of awards. 

I think it's ignorant to say that the movie itself didn't have any sort of social message. The movie dealt with co-dependency, alcoholism, the dangers of being in a toxic relationship, etc. The movie did have a strong social message, and to say that it doesn't is just wrong.

That said, I do agree that when it comes to the awards campaign, ASIB didn't really have a strong social message. The campaign was largely repetitive and I definitely feel like they could have played up the fact that the movie had a strong social message more. The awards campaign was largely focused on Gaga, which was great for her, but we can see the result of having all the attention focused on one individual (i.e. people making fun of the "100 people in a room..." comment). 

Gaga's CC speech was very good, and I kinda wish that they had capitalized on that more. 

🃏🖤👹

GoldenPonyboy

The only thing that counts is that she wins at least one award so that in the trailer for her next film we get to see “oscar winner lady gaga”

andy232000
5 minutes ago, Serial Chiller said:

So... destruction of fame, depression and addiction are not social statements? Not to mention a huge ass nod to the LGBT community. Good to know. Apparently a movie needs to scream social justice in pop-up font on its poster or have its entire cast of a select race/minority group to be considered ‘woke’

Trash article. Are people actually paying to read this? 

I dont thinks its much about if it was included in the film but how the social message was included in the Oscar campaign. Warner Brothers really focused on “tragic love story” “classic american drama” “Singer turned actress” “Co-star chemistry” for 90% of the awards season rather than “addiction & alcohol”. Gaga tried to included that in her speech at the CC. If they had taken such approach perhaps the voters would have awarded them more 

such bullsh*t tbh. 

if you watch 'a star is born' and don't take away the message of mental health, addiction, co-dependancy in relationships and suicide prevention then you weren't paying attention AT ALL.

ALL these topics are so important in the world that we live in today and this is truly the heart of the film for me personally. It's not just about the hollywood love story between Jack and Ally but it's about the struggle that we all indivdually go through in our lives and how these experiences change our psyche which leads us down whatever chosen path life leads us to whether that's good or bad. THIS IS WHAT SHOULD BE APPLAUDED. 

...but anyway that's showbusiness for you, they love to build something up to watch it all come down. right? 

you can serve it to me ancient city style...

Archived