đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What's wrong morally on Lady Gaga's Judas?

GagaExGaga

Featured Posts

Gladys622
3 minutes ago, Lippoutou said:

All Catholics are Christians

There’s 3 main branches of Christianity: Catholicism, Protestantism, and the Orthodoxy

boom boom cherry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's considered sacrilegious basically. Putting her in the place of Mary, a love triangle between her, Judas, Jesus. A sexualized Mary. Plus, the idea of anything romantic between Jesus and Mary is extremely controversial. Pretty much anything using religious imagery or stories cause outrage. 

SharkmanthaC

You have a lot of good responses here. As a Christian myself, I don’t have a problem with the song because I have heard her explaination of it. I think if it is taken at face value, it can be seen as sacreligious, however, I have heard her explaination of the video and song. Considering even Jesus forgave Judas and that is what the idea is behind the song, it makes sense to me. And we are called to love ALL people as Christians, which I truely believe Lady Gaga does. (And I consider Catholics Christian.) But I think a lot of Lady Gaga’s songs aren’t for those that take things at face value.  

“That’s really what the video is, the video is a metaphor for forgiveness, and for betrayal and darkness being one of the challenges in life as opposed to being a mistake.”

https://www.vibe.com/2011/05/lady-gaga-explains-her-inspiration-behind-judas-drops-new-single-edge-glory

This also has some good points. (Except Lady Gaga stole things from Madonna.)

she/her/hers

FfFfFfFF
3 minutes ago, GoneGUY said:

It's considered sacrilegious basically. Putting her in the place of Mary, a love triangle between her, Judas, Jesus. A sexualized Mary. Plus, the idea of anything romantic between Jesus and Mary is extremely controversial. Pretty much anything using religious imagery or stories cause outrage. 

But there is no sexualisation of Mary in the video.

1 minute ago, FfFfFfFF said:

But there is no sexualisation of Mary in the video.

The whole bath scene is pretty sexual imo. Plus her outfits alone. I'm not saying I found them sexual, but in the religious community, absolutely.

FfFfFfFF
4 minutes ago, GoneGUY said:

The whole bath scene is pretty sexual imo. Plus her outfits alone. I'm not saying I found them sexual, but in the religious community, absolutely.

The outfits maybe. The bath scene is based on religious symbolism too, the feet washing. I don't see anything sexual in it.

38 minutes ago, Gladys622 said:

There’s 3 main branches of Christianity: Catholicism, Protestantism, and the Orthodoxy

And the Grammy goes to Gladys!

9 minutes ago, McMonster08 said:

Speaking of Judas, some online performer :emma: is dancing in circles to Judas right now. :giggle:

omg :cryga: color me shooketh

SharkmanthaC
14 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The outfits maybe. The bath scene is based on religious symbolism too, the feet washing. I don't see anything sexual in it.

Feet washing is a Christian practice, where it is about you humbling yourself to the point of washing another person's feet. Mary washed Jesus' feet in the Bible, when he came to heal Lazarus. It is still practiced in some churches, even used in some weddings.

she/her/hers

ShockPop

Nothing. Short essay.

I suggest you start with "it offends the Catholic church, a group of people who clearly have no understanding of metaphor but do not draw the line at their clergy abusing children."

ShockPop
36 minutes ago, GoneGUY said:

Sexualized? Heaven forbid someone sexualiszes a prostitute...

8 minutes ago, ShockPop said:

Sexualized? Heaven forbid someone sexualiszes a prostitute...

I agree. I'm just saying what my extremely conservative extended family had to say about the video. Honestly, I didnt understand half of what they had an issue with. I think it was mostly cause it was Gaga and they were looking for anything to complain about.

34 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Some people have a foot fetish.

MonsterPaws

I see no valid arguments for the Judas video being immoral.

I don't know much about the story of Mary, Judas, and Jesus. But if I were given such an assignment I'll have to go on a tangent and discuss religion and morality overall, but not the video itself.

You could discuss Judas' betrayal and how that story is used as a morally-normative narrative against treason. Why is treason/betrayal immoral? etc.

But sorry, I don't really have anything on the video itself. It was just controversial when it was released because of strongly conservative Christians getting upset. If that video was released a few years later I don't think it would have had the sh*t storm it received. If anything you could argue how the backlash against Gaga was immoral since she was simply exercising her right to express herself and her art.

Archived