Gaga talk about being "face" of Fibromyaglia

Jenina

Featured Posts

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That J
1 hour ago, calmar said:

Although I also have some chronic illnesses and mental health issues, as well as a complex medical history, I think the way I relate to Gaga's struggles is sort of inverted from other people here. Since I struggled and overcame (to the extent I can) a lot of my issues before I became a Gaga fan, I don't draw strength or inspiration from Gaga, but rather it allows me to relate to her on a more personal level. A lot of my strength is simply internal - "I've done this before, I've been dealing with this, it's not a huge deal."

@That J are you on a transplant list? I've gone through double kidney failure and got a transplant for that, so I'm aware of the kind of thing you're going through. :) 

I am. So that's why I'm always here lol..

A waiting game. 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

That J
34 minutes ago, Dominic said:

It's more about bringing awareness to it and generating public discussion in turn raising funds for research and said cure - what better way to generate awareness than a celebrity? Standard. 

Tell me your thoughts when you can relate. 

Duhhhh I get the point. Look at mine. 

That J

Please know that if you dont have something incurable then stop acting like you can relate.  

Do I want a cookie?  No. But c'mon now. 

I come here to be drifted away because this is better than my reality. Lately its seemed very judgy tho. 

Dominic
3 minutes ago, That J said:

Tell me your thoughts when you can relate. 

Duhhhh I get the point. Look at mine. 

2 minutes ago, That J said:

Please know that if you dont have something incurable then stop acting like you can relate.  

Do I want a cookie?  No. But c'mon now. 

I come here to be drifted away because this is better than my reality. Lately its seemed very judgy tho. 

How do you know who has something incurable and who can/cannot relate? People came to this thread to discuss, not argue man and if someone does cross the line report them and we can ban em :poot:

I understand your point of view but it's not necessarily modelling a disease - moreso giving a voice to it. You're allowed to not want Lena to be that voice though I was just saying it is common practice for diseases to be "modelled" so to say. I mean people literally market illness and diseases on adverts 24 hrs a day. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Nirvana

I don't know how to feel about this.. I don't have fibro but I have endometriosis and I think the common thing with all these chronic illnesses is that they are barely taken seriously which is horrible, considering they take so much out of you. When you can barely do work or study, and be met with the demands of people who expect more... Try to explain and be met with disbelief...

Maybe a celeb could help to bring awareness in general and to people who might have these illnesses, but I don't really know... (please not Lena though :saladga:)

Bel Esprit
2 hours ago, Weasel said:

Being the ''face'' of a disease is not really something fans should argue about between fanbases :saladga:

It's not like chronic illness is something to be ashamed of. You're acting like Gaga is the face of scurvy. :saladga:

2 hours ago, LetsGetHigh said:

fibro is part of your identity. yes, it could possibly be that serious. show some respect, im sure if something was part of your everyday life then youd be passionate about it.

throwback to than madonna thread about 100 people having 10s of pages. 

I never meant to be disrespectful to people who have fibro at all, I was talking about the people arguing who should be the face of fibro, that's lowkey romanticizing a disease

... and now i just sit in silence.

Help :messga: what is EDS about? I searched it but I don’t understand it completely. I really want to know. 

The night sky tells all

Jenina
Just now, Enema said:

Help :messga: what is EDS about? I searched it but I don’t understand it completely. I really want to know. 

EDS(Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) is a connective tissue disorder. There are many different versions of it but I personally have hypermboility type EDS. Basically this causes hyperextending joins, frequent dislocations, overly stretchy skin, and a lot of pain for some people. My version is considered the least serious but others have things involving heart problems or stomach issues and people need ports and feeding tubes. 

cool

Weasel
2 hours ago, Bel Esprit said:

It's not like chronic illness is something to be ashamed of. You're acting like Gaga is the face of scurvy. :saladga:

I didn't say somebody should feel ashamed of being linked to a certain disease. I am saying that discussing which celebrity fits a disease seems rather distasteful. 

Jenina
18 minutes ago, Weasel said:

I didn't say somebody should feel ashamed of being linked to a certain disease. I am saying that discussing which celebrity fits a disease seems rather distasteful. 

I think Lena's approach is what's distateful more than anything. No one had really talked about a "face" for the community before until Lena wanted to be it so I don't find it wrong to discuss the topic or someone else being it. 

cool

That J
5 hours ago, Dominic said:

How do you know who has something incurable and who can/cannot relate? People came to this thread to discuss, not argue man and if someone does cross the line report them and we can ban em :poot:

I understand your point of view but it's not necessarily modelling a disease - moreso giving a voice to it. You're allowed to not want Lena to be that voice though I was just saying it is common practice for diseases to be "modelled" so to say. I mean people literally market illness and diseases on adverts 24 hrs a day. 

I'm sorry if my words sounded a certain way.  

It's all just a discussion.  

Your last line is what I'm pressed on. ..

And I'm man enough to say this...its not even that.  It's me. Xo

SharkmanthaC

This seems like an attention grab. I am all for a celebrity being an advocate for a chronic illness, disease, mental health, etc. but why does one need to be the face of it? Seeing Gaga's battle with fibro and PTSD has been inspiration to me, as I have severe chronic migraines and PTSD from being in an emotionally abusive relationship. I can't say that I'd want any celebrity to become the "face" of either of those. An advocate - encourage awareness and how you cope, but to be a disease/illness' mascot? Not necessary.

she/her/hers

Archived