Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

The 1975 new album

mr.peter

Featured Posts

Leblanc

I'm in love with this album and it inspired me to go back and re-listen to all their others and i'm shook at how many good songs I forgot they had :tony:

I always let the good ones go

youandi

Got such a weird relationship with this band. 

When their selftitled came out, I kind of wanted to like them because I thought that instrumentally they were interesting but I hated the way Matty Healy sang. Then I learned more about the band and Healy's personality and I decided I really didn't like him/them. Then the I Like It When You Sleep came out and I found a lot of respect for them as they re-invented themselves really well and you could see how invested in the era they  were and in making their live performances really good. Somebody Else became one of my favourite songs and I gave the first album another try and I definitely liked it more this time. I've never spent a huge amount of time listening to their stuff though, even the music I know like, bar Somebody Else, and I think it's down to my dislike of Healy. 

Having said this, I've been fairly excited for this album down to what they said they wanted to make (Either a new Queen Is Dead or OK Computer), the hype and promo has been interesting and then a recent review I read hyped the album up to the heavens and said they were successful at making this generation's OK Computer, or something like that anyway. 

So I've just lisented to it and it is a really well made, enjoyable album. It's cohesive and fresh, but still has a few of those 1975 style riffs ala Girls making it feel very them. There's a couple of criticisms though, as expected there are some very typical Healy-isms in the lyrics but a couple of them are just a bit too much imo, like the opening lyric from Love It If We Made It. Another is that it's so clear they were trying to emulate OK Computer (just less bleak) being on the edge of nearly being unoriginal, The Man Who Fell In Love With A Robot is just too close to Fitter, Happier. And finally, although not a genuine criticism, it just feels too long, even though it doesn't quite play for an hour. I don't know if it's because there's been quite a few fairly short albums in the last couple of years or whether it's because it's part of a double album. When the next half comes out, it could be around 30 songs in total which just feels like a lot. 

The jazzier numbers are just gorgeous, TooTime is a great pop song and I Always Wanna Die is a really fantastic album closer. 

Thomas P

This might be the best album of the year. It’s giving me serious Ok Computer vibes, which is one of my all time favourite records. It’s my favourite by them and after TOOTIMETOOTIME... I thought it would be the opposite case. 

(Their concert a year ago changed my life and I stanned ever since)

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Archived