news

US Pop Radio Refusing to Spin Shallow - “Doesn’t sound like top 40”

Stef

Featured Posts

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Admin said:

I wish Gaga all the success in the world and obviously want "Shallow" to smash, but I don't really see anything wrong with it? I mean, it's not really a pop song?

Define pop though sis :huntyga:

Signature loading… 👹🖤

PanPikus

Maybe Shallow is not a 'Pop' song, but nor are the songs by all those rappers that Top40 radio plays like crazy. So not being a 'pop' song is totally not a problem here. :fthis:

Na Wojtusia z popielnika, iskiereczka mruga, chodź opowiem Ci bajeczkę, bajka będzie długa...

A Real Panda

I wish US would follow the path of other countries and cut radio spins out from the official chart basis since its not consumers who decide on which songs chart/get spins.

SlayGagaloo
Just now, Admin said:

Yes because if Adele sang it, it would have a much more radio-friendly vocals, production, and structure.

That's not particularly the point 

They are still expecting Poker Face 2.0 from Gaga in 2018 which is kinda silly. The song is showing major potential in sales and streaming and people are here for it and it's not less "catchy" than any other pop song out there 

This sound could become what's popular in a few years so who knows, why not give it a chance and see how listeners react to it (it's most likely gonna be positive) 

The fact that radio airplay is weighted heavily for BB100 that a WW hit is kinda underperforming in the US is not ok imo 

FourFiveSeconds by Rihanna reached #6 on BB's Top40 chart and it Wasn't That radio-friendly compared to pop hits back then (Blank Space, Sugar, etc...) 

Over.

Reginald

Welcome to the world of commercialized music. Screw the charts, they don't play anything by real artists anyway. 

BlackSwan Cat & Mouse

NewYorkCity

“It’s not radio friendly”

K take that back. They are not playing it because it is Gaga. She released a year ago the most radio friendly song ever aka The Cure and they ignored it. Now she has a song that’s been #1 for almost a month and they don’t play it. Pop is not something you can define. If Adele released this exact same song featuring Ed Sheeran it would be #1 on pop radio in 10 minutes. 

mariomania1234
2 minutes ago, TwerkinLurkin said:

Are we gonna act like they didn’t do this with the cure either though?

The cure got substantially more radio play. It was streaming that was lacking for that single. Now it's the other way around.

Now that she has streaming back on her side, I think her next proper pop release should do good on both metrics if she releases something a bit more polished and upbeat.

5 minutes ago, Stef said:

Define pop though sis :huntyga:

Eh, I just know that if I were in a car with my friends I'd rather bop to "Taki Taki" than wait two minutes for the chorus of "Shallow" to even begin, even though "Shallow" is obviously the better song and I like it a lot.

Let’s stop acting like the song is the issue. I mean it’s a cute excuse for now, but there issue is with Gaga. She’s too unpredictable for them and they don’t want to embrace her exploration of sounds. Even her attempt at trop-pop with The Cure didn’t get proper pop radio support :neyde: 

Signature loading… 👹🖤

TwerkinLurkin
2 minutes ago, mariomania1234 said:

The cure got substantially more radio play. It was streaming that was lacking for that single. Now it's the other way around.

Now that she has streaming back on her side, I think her next proper pop release should do good on both metrics if she releases something a bit more polished and upbeat.

“More” for gaga doesn’t really mean anything it’s radio play in the us was still mediocre at best 

ArtGagaPop

It went straight into the top 10 radio in Australia when the movie was released and is now #6, is top 10 on UK radio and being played all over Europe. If they play it even if it's not "radio friendly" so should the US :oops:

Just now, Admin said:

Eh, I just know that if I were in a car with my friends I'd rather bop to "Taki Taki" than wait two minutes for the chorus of "Shallow" to even begin, even though "Shallow" is obviously the better song and I like it a lot.

Fair point, but when the analytics and figures are proving Shallow is resonating not just with the mature audiences of the digital age but also the young audiences of the steaming world, they should probably give it a fair shot. They can always drop it like a damn hot cake if the callouts are trash. The problem is they don’t even wanna know :neyde: meaning her potential in terms of commercial performance is hindered. Europe took a chance with Shallow at Radio and look at the results :whitney:

Signature loading… 👹🖤

Reality

I mean, it's not like that's new information or anything. I said this before in a previous post: I don't envision Shallow becoming a huge hit. Now obviously, it's doing well right now. People know the song, people like the song, and it's her first #1 in a long time, but I don't see it becoming a mega hit. 

The structure of the song is just so unorthodox that, to me, I have difficulty seeing how it'll do well on pop radio. It' not structured like a normal song "should" (i.e. verse --> chorus --> verse --> chorus --> bridge --> final chorus). The structure is more like verse --> verse --> chorus --> bridge --> final chorus, and in my opinion, that is just too long to get into the "meat" of the song.

I'm not trying to downplay Shallow or anything. I love the song, and I know there are a lot of people out there (not just fans) who feel the same way. The problem is is that it just doesn't sound like anything else in the Top 40. That's an objective fact.

One final note, this isn't me praising the Top 40 either. I hate it. 

🖤👹

FATCAT
15 minutes ago, Gagadonna said:

ha ha ha so funny i can't how did you find that joke 

81np6KttdDL.jpg

Purr more, hiss less.

Archived