💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Dear Hip-Hop: Quit with the Homophobic Bulls*** Already!

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

Eminem and others, have repeatedly claimed that their F-bombs aren’t referring to gay men, that the insult has nothing to do with sexuality, but rather is an attack on a (straight) man’s masculinity. But that argument doesn’t make their reasoning any better. In fact it might be worse. 

Correlating “*******” with weakness, a lack of masculinity—which, in hip-hop, is the quintessential insult—degrades gay men, and no matter the intent, further marginalizes homosexuality. As artists and entertainers in this hyper-capitalist, hyper-commercial world we live in, rappers need to take some responsibility for the message they send because as soon as money is introduced to your art, it becomes something else: a commodity. And therefore one’s creation is not just representative of the artist, but it also becomes beholden to its consumers. To shift the onus of understanding and interpretation onto the listener is quite simply, cowardly, or as some rappers would put it, it’s a ******* thing to do. 

Start treating “*******” the same way you treat “*****.” If you’re not black you simply don’t say the N-word. It’s an accepted fact, unless you’re a blatant racist. Eminem has and would never. So if you’re not gay, don’t say *******—simple as that. Unless you’re a blatant homophobe. In which case, own your homophobia and its ramifications because we—as queer people, as fans of hip-hop, as human beings living under an administration that’s full of ****—are all tired of dealing with your ****.

In a further sign of how far hip-hop has come, there are enough openly LGBTQ rappers out here but they have also earned the right to use the F-word if they so choose because it’s either an act of reapprorpiation—as black people have done with the N-word, making it a term of endearment or community—or they are sensitive to the word’s history and therefore cognizant of the importance of context.

With more diversity in rap than ever before, and less tolerance for discriminatory language, the days of “switching like a *******” are waning. It’s just that rap, for all its revolutionary power, has been slow to check the rhyme.

http://www.newnownext.com/stop-hip-hop-homophobia/09/2018/

8 minutes ago, AlejandroooO said:

Dear Hip-Hop : Please vanish and don't ever come back

That's much better tbh

Dear Hip-Hop Haters:

Don't be mean. Some people are very talented and make brilliant music and aren't homophobic. I personally love hip-hop, and I understand that others don't, however, we would be pissed if someone told pop music to end because they work with homophobes. It's a gross generalisation. OP is correct. Homophobia in hip-hop can choke. But the genre can stay :wub:

5 minutes ago, Adarsh Soni said:

Not just homophobia, but misogyny as well :saladga:

This! I know Bruno Mars isn't really hip-hop but it made me think about how on earth people still support him after the 24K Magic video???? Like the entire video was centred around oversexualised females submitting to males; being reduced to a sexual plaything as oppose to a human being. Mess :saladga:

Most of them are actually gay or bi in the closet (ahm 50 cent and busta)

Its their way to hide it..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

SlaeUrAnus

I like hip hop when it’s done right. Apart from the explicit language and the name calling, art can be expressed in the form of hip hop. It’s just a shame that hip hop has became a laughing stock lately excluding veterans like Eminem & Jay Z, and Kendrick Lamar of course.

OT: I agree. There is no reason to attack another guys masculinity because it does refer back to gays. 

In my messy era.

Archived