Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why Is Pop Radio Not Picking Up Shallow?

Economy

Featured Posts

Princess Stache
11 hours ago, ferretti said:

I mean, it REALLY doesn't sound like current pop music or rap music. I dunno, it's a live track, which is weird. I don't really see it taking off on pop radio, sadly.

I think INLA has a better shot, honestly.

Sirius was playing INLA a lot on at least 3 different stations.  Terrestrial radio is ass

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SlaeUrAnus
12 hours ago, UK Monster said:

That is a shame that pop radio is sleeping on it there. Shallow is getting good airplay from Heart FM here which is the main radio station in my part of the country at least and also on Smooth along with a couple of other ASIB tracks but Capital FM which is the cool radio for younger audiences are completely snubbing it here which is annoying. 

Tbf sis, I gave up on Capital years ago.

Even when she performed at the Capital Jingle Bell Rock in 2013 they still snubbed the rest of ARTPOP. 

From then, I have never heard a Gaga song on Capital. But I agree, Heart radio is giving the good sis a chance and now it’s #4!

In my messy era.

LIKELADYAGAGA

I think it is just too slow for the first half of the song to play on pop radio. Their demographic is young people who like rappers and rihanna and fast music. 

Nirvana
22 hours ago, Pantera said:

How is In My Feelings "incomprehensible screaming"? It's catchy and sounds like something that was going to smash in the radio.

It's the sample in the ending that could be kinda divisive in the radio, but the song is in itself a huge hit with it's viral videos so I think that's why it's successful in radio?

Economy
On 10/19/2018 at 3:05 PM, WhiteWitch said:

Because 1: Radio is slowly dying out

2: It really isn’t “Pop”

It dying doesn't affect positions

The top 50 is still consisted of 50 songs. 

On 10/19/2018 at 11:06 AM, ferretti said:

I mean, it REALLY doesn't sound like current pop music or rap music. I dunno, it's a live track, which is weird. I don't really see it taking off on pop radio, sadly.

I think INLA has a better shot, honestly.

there's a radio edit on YT without the crowd cheers actually

you're welcomeeeee

On 10/19/2018 at 8:02 PM, pdaines said:

Y'all are being too pessimistic.  As has been pointed out multiple times, Shallow does NOT sound like current pop radio, it is a live ballad, etc. 

HOWEVER, it is currently the #1 fastest-growing song at ADULT POP radio on a daily basis.  https://kworb.net/radio/  Additionally, it IS getting a substantial number of adds at pop radio (52)!  http://hitsdailydouble.com/pop_mart  That means it will likely debut at the bottom of the pop radio airplay chart soon.  

Is Shallow going to be a #1 pop radio hit?  Probably not.  Can it peak with 1 play for every 2-3 plays of the #1 song after growing for a couple of months?  Yeah, that seems plausible.  Can it peak in the top 3 at Adult Pop and Adult Contemporary?  YES.  Very plausible.  Result:  Plausible peak around #10-15 on overall radio.  Not too shabby. 

STREAMING.  Shallow is #11 on US Spotify! #5 globally, are you kidding me?  It is #3 on the Today's Top Hits playlist!  Its streaming numbers are INCREASING v. last week when it peaked at #5 on the Hot 100.  Streaming is now the CORE of the music industry.  Combined with increasing radio airplay and slowly falling sales, it is likely to STAY IN THE TOP TEN!  It may well stay there or around there for quite a while!  In other words, it is looking like a sustained, legitimate, long-term hit (comparable to "Applause", significantly stronger than "Million Reasons")!

We are seeing a level of popularity, media support, and commercial performance that we haven't seen since some time during the BTW era, or maybe since just before Applause was released.  Just soak it in and live through your Gaga's success as a bona fide movie star AND pop star. 

Update:  REALLY impressive growth at HAC (adult pop) radio.  1M+ two days in a row.  #2 song is only at 423K growth.  I.e. -- comparable to the growth at the top of the normal pop chart.  

Also #1 growth at AC + modest, but real growth at pop radio. 

On 10/19/2018 at 9:03 PM, Blastertoyo said:

You’re trying to tell me that halfway through the song and forever thereafter you don’t hear the gibberish that comes out of that (presumably) black girls mouth? 

Also the fact that the song is chopped to oblivion anything past the “Keke do you love me” part? 

Well, I just went and listened to it and agree with you.  However, a wise person once said that it basically doesn't matter what the verses say.  They can be gibberish, or instrumental.  The only thing that matters is whether the choruses & hooks are good (whether they are earworms).  The rest of the song just has to not actively drive people away.  Also, it helps that the weird gibberish part wasn't part of the "In My Feelings" challenge (which, remember, is where the song really fixated into the public consciousness before it ever took off on radio).  

Another rule -- people like songs that they already know.  People don't like new songs.  That's why radio airplay ALWAYS goes through a build-up stage.  No song EVER starts at #1 on radio (except for promotional Day 1 and Day 2 airplay for a handful of artists).  It's because radio programmers understand that people can only tolerate certain levels of exposure to a song before they become pissed, but those levels go through an inclining curve and then a declining curve.  If a song can skip the radio gatekeepers on its way into the public consciousness, then radio programmers can more easily give it lots of radio airplay quickly without risking public ire.  

Archived