Grammys Prediction for Pop Categories?

Red Velvet

Featured Posts

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley
8 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I think everything to do with the soundtrack will be nominated under the Music For Visual Media category. I've never seen any music from film put in any other non-film related category, it's it's own thing. Even the biggest soundtracks with songs that charted well like Frozen, La La Land and Moana never broke into the pop categories, so we've got nothing to worry about there. But yeah, a Grammy's a Grammy regardless of which category you win it in. For the record, even Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter and Betty White and have got Grammys (under Spoken Word for audio books/poetry/storytelling autobiographies and such). Must really sting to be an actual singer and know that actors and politicans have won Grammies over you!

Heathens was nominated for Best Rock Performance, See You Again was nominated for Song of the Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Earned It was nominated for Best R&B Song and Best R&B Performance, Love Me Like You Do was nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance.

All of these songs were written for movies and yet were nominated for non-film related categories, Shallow definitely stands a chance at Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, considering its commercial and critical success.

StrawberryBlond
10 hours ago, Bradley said:

Heathens was nominated for Best Rock Performance, See You Again was nominated for Song of the Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Earned It was nominated for Best R&B Song and Best R&B Performance, Love Me Like You Do was nominated for Best Pop Solo Performance.

All of these songs were written for movies and yet were nominated for non-film related categories, Shallow definitely stands a chance at Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, considering its commercial and critical success.

Those cases are all different, though. Heathens, while not on Twenty One Pilots album (though it was included on a limited CD edition later on), was absolutely something they'd normally release and they weren't playing characters on that song, plus, that soundtrack was a various artists deal, it was just a whole random bunch thrown together but none of these artists were playing characters. Essentially, they're in this for themselves, it just so happened to be put on a soundtrack. See You Again was the same deal and it was included on Charlie Puth's album for the international version too. Plus, the soundtrack as a whole didn't win any big awards - that song was the only thing that carried it. It was just your standard tune for the charts, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously as a complete soundtrack. And as for Earned It and Love Me Like You Do, both those songs were on The Weeknd's and Ellie's albums and they weren't even bonus tracks or anything. Just like all the other songs, they sounded exactly like something these artists would normally put out under their own name and they were in it for their own glory, they weren't in character. Gaga and Bradley are playing the roles of Ally and Jackson when they sing this song - Bradley isn't even a singer, he's an actor, so he's definitely acting here. While I'm sure they'd happily release a song like this on their own albums, it's unquestionably as part of a movie project. The music video consists of nothing but scenes from the movie that they're acting in, unlike the other songs, which consisted of the artist starring in their own music video where they walked about and suchlike, out of the moment of scenes from the film. Basically, every song from the movie is part of a complete project where both of them are acting throughout, they're not performing as Gaga and Bradley for their own glory, they're acting as Ally and Jackson and want to judged as actors singing as part of a movie, therefore, this is definitely grounds for nominations in the visual media category.

If everything goes well, Gaga should be up for as many as 4 nominations - Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media (as singer), Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media (as composer and producer) and hopefully 2 songs will be nominated in Best Song Written for Visual Media. I can assure you that regardless of how successful a song is, if it's for a film and the singer is in character, it will be nominated in the film categories. Let It Go had peaked at #5 in the US and sold over 10.9 million copies in 2014, just before it won the award for Best Original Song, and its soundtrack also won in the film category. Being in the character is what makes the the difference between regular genre categories and film categories.

Anderson123
On 10/12/2018 at 7:37 AM, Aquarius said:

realistically, these are my predictions so far:

BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM:

1.REPUTATION – TAYLOR SWIFT

2.CAMILA – CAMILA CABELLO

3.THE THRILL OF IT ALL – SAM SMITH

4.SWEETENER – ARIANA GRANDE

5.MEANING OF LIFE – KELLY CLARKSON

6.BEAUTIFUL TRAUMA – P!NK

either taylor or sam will win this, although I hope ariana gets it

This sounds like it could be it. I'll be realistic and say either Taylor or Sam Smith will win even though I hope P!nk does because I loved that album.

matteonster
On 10/12/2018 at 3:28 PM, JR Gg said:

Pop Vocal Album:

Meaning of Life - Kelly Clarkson

The Thrill of It All - First Gay

reputation - Taylor Swift

Sweetener - Ariana Grande

Florence + The Machine - High as Hopes

Alt:

Red Pill Blues - Maroon 5

Beerpong and Bentleys - Post Malone

Man In The Woods - Justin Timberlake

Pop Solo:

Delicate - Taylor Swift

No Tears Left to Cry - Ariana Grande

In My Blood - Shawn Mendes

Pray / Too Good at Goodbyes (Live) - First Gay

Never Be The Same - Camilla Cabello

Pop Duo/ Group Performance

Girls Like You - Maroon 5 ft Cardi B

Meant To Be - Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line

Shallow - Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper

The Middle - Zedd, Maren Morris & Gret

Pray For Me - The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar

A trash year for music :emma:

The Thrill Of It All - First Gay :ladyhaha:

I would be so happy for a Florence nomination tho!

“Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are.”

Bradley
14 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Those cases are all different, though. Heathens, while not on Twenty One Pilots album (though it was included on a limited CD edition later on), was absolutely something they'd normally release and they weren't playing characters on that song, plus, that soundtrack was a various artists deal, it was just a whole random bunch thrown together but none of these artists were playing characters.

The Grammys never imposed any rule that if you were an actor in the movie for which you wrote a song, you will likely not get nominated. I think rather the quality they look for is popularity and quality, and Shallow thus far has been exceeding expectations in terms of popularity and sales. In fact it's just been sent to radios and it's treated like a commercial single. It's also released prior to the film's release, like a lead single from a commercial studio album.

Anyway even if it wasn't, I don't think it should bar it from having any chance at a nomination. Whitney starred in The Bodyguard and her song was nominated for Best Pop Vocal Performance. Like I said, I think very few people would view nominations from your perspective, rather general and pop categories are reserved for songs that are popular and recognised by the public, which is why all the examples I'd given above are nominated, regardless of whether or not they are in the movie.

A lot of prediction sites including Billboard predicted a Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance nomination for Justin Timberlake's Can't Stop the Feeling!, and Justin, albeit only a voice actor, is in the movie. That's because it was sent to radios and treated like a commercial single, just like Shallow is.

In fact Shallow is charting on top of charts, besting many commercial songs released recently. That's evidence of recognition and commercial success.

I'm not saying Shallow is definitely getting nominated, because we know Timberlake and Idina Menzel were not, but one thing about Let It Go is that Idina wasn't really a pop star, so they might not feel comfortable giving an actress a pop nomination, and it wasn't really dancey or generic, it sounded exactly like a Disney song. Shallow sounds like a ballad that could stand on its own without a movie.

Luna Lovegood
On 10/12/2018 at 9:34 PM, Bradley said:

If Shallow wins Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Bradley will win a Grammy before Katy Perry :pray:

Lol after what had happened this year at the Grammys, I have 0 confidence of Gaga winning. 

luna’s advocate

Bradley
1 hour ago, Luna Lovegood said:

Lol after what had happened this year at the Grammys, I have 0 confidence of Gaga winning. 

A little dramatic but ok.

18 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Those cases are all different, though. Heathens, while not on Twenty One Pilots album (though it was included on a limited CD edition later on), was absolutely something they'd normally release and they weren't playing characters on that song, plus, that soundtrack was a various artists deal, it was just a whole random bunch thrown together but none of these artists were playing characters. Essentially, they're in this for themselves, it just so happened to be put on a soundtrack. See You Again was the same deal and it was included on Charlie Puth's album for the international version too. Plus, the soundtrack as a whole didn't win any big awards - that song was the only thing that carried it. It was just your standard tune for the charts, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously as a complete soundtrack. And as for Earned It and Love Me Like You Do, both those songs were on The Weeknd's and Ellie's albums and they weren't even bonus tracks or anything. Just like all the other songs, they sounded exactly like something these artists would normally put out under their own name and they were in it for their own glory, they weren't in character. Gaga and Bradley are playing the roles of Ally and Jackson when they sing this song - Bradley isn't even a singer, he's an actor, so he's definitely acting here. While I'm sure they'd happily release a song like this on their own albums, it's unquestionably as part of a movie project. The music video consists of nothing but scenes from the movie that they're acting in, unlike the other songs, which consisted of the artist starring in their own music video where they walked about and suchlike, out of the moment of scenes from the film. Basically, every song from the movie is part of a complete project where both of them are acting throughout, they're not performing as Gaga and Bradley for their own glory, they're acting as Ally and Jackson and want to judged as actors singing as part of a movie, therefore, this is definitely grounds for nominations in the visual media category.

If everything goes well, Gaga should be up for as many as 4 nominations - Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media (as singer), Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media (as composer and producer) and hopefully 2 songs will be nominated in Best Song Written for Visual Media. I can assure you that regardless of how successful a song is, if it's for a film and the singer is in character, it will be nominated in the film categories. Let It Go had peaked at #5 in the US and sold over 10.9 million copies in 2014, just before it won the award for Best Original Song, and its soundtrack also won in the film category. Being in the character is what makes the the difference between regular genre categories and film categories.

You're wrong tho. First of all, there is no proper music score for ASIB, so she can't be submitted in that category because it doesn't exist.

Secondly, only Oscars consider the context of the song in the film. Grammys do not take that into consideration.

And Let It Go isn't really a good example. It was a massive hit and cultural phenomenon. It obliterated the weak competition in visual media categories. BUT, it didn't break into pop categories or GF because it's not really pop lol. It's just like any ordinary Disney song, and traditionally, those songs have never broken into genre categories.

But ASIB may win soundtrack and original song. :vegas:

StrawberryBlond
11 hours ago, Bradley said:

The Grammys never imposed any rule that if you were an actor in the movie for which you wrote a song, you will likely not get nominated. I think rather the quality they look for is popularity and quality, and Shallow thus far has been exceeding expectations in terms of popularity and sales. In fact it's just been sent to radios and it's treated like a commercial single. It's also released prior to the film's release, like a lead single from a commercial studio album.

Anyway even if it wasn't, I don't think it should bar it from having any chance at a nomination. Whitney starred in The Bodyguard and her song was nominated for Best Pop Vocal Performance. Like I said, I think very few people would view nominations from your perspective, rather general and pop categories are reserved for songs that are popular and recognised by the public, which is why all the examples I'd given above are nominated, regardless of whether or not they are in the movie.

A lot of prediction sites including Billboard predicted a Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance nomination for Justin Timberlake's Can't Stop the Feeling!, and Justin, albeit only a voice actor, is in the movie. That's because it was sent to radios and treated like a commercial single, just like Shallow is.

In fact Shallow is charting on top of charts, besting many commercial songs released recently. That's evidence of recognition and commercial success.

I'm not saying Shallow is definitely getting nominated, because we know Timberlake and Idina Menzel were not, but one thing about Let It Go is that Idina wasn't really a pop star, so they might not feel comfortable giving an actress a pop nomination, and it wasn't really dancey or generic, it sounded exactly like a Disney song. Shallow sounds like a ballad that could stand on its own without a movie.

The way I look at it, if it's from a film, it should be respected as a film category. It's not fair on popular songs that weren't from films if they go head to head. We'll see what happens but I somehow doubt they'll be treated as pop songs. Remember that there's quite an old, classic feel about these songs, they sound like songs from movies. A lot of the other songs you listed sounded like any song you'd hear on pop radio.

9 hours ago, JR Gg said:

You're wrong tho. First of all, there is no proper music score for ASIB, so she can't be submitted in that category because it doesn't exist.

Secondly, only Oscars consider the context of the song in the film. Grammys do not take that into consideration.

And Let It Go isn't really a good example. It was a massive hit and cultural phenomenon. It obliterated the weak competition in visual media categories. BUT, it didn't break into pop categories or GF because it's not really pop lol. It's just like any ordinary Disney song, and traditionally, those songs have never broken into genre categories.

But ASIB may win soundtrack and original song. :vegas:

Soundtrack and score are literally the same thing. The only distinction here is that one award goes to the performers and the other one goes to the actual composers and producers (though the performers can win this too if they wrote and produced). If you're referring to a score as just an album composed of instrumentals, ASIB obviously isn't that kind of film, so its soundtrack will be treated just like your idea of score.

How do you know Grammys don't take the role in the film into consideration?

What I've found is that what is regarded as "pop" is so broad now so there's no reason that Let It Go shouldn't have been nominated in pop if it was a massive top 5 hit. But it wasn't because it was from a movie. I don't know what's so difficult to understand. Why do people seem to think Gaga will be treated differently to everyone else who's ever released hit songs from movies?

On 10/16/2018 at 4:46 AM, StrawberryBlond said:

Soundtrack and score are literally the same thing. The only distinction here is that one award goes to the performers and the other one goes to the actual composers and producers (though the performers can win this too if they wrote and produced). If you're referring to a score as just an album composed of instrumentals, ASIB obviously isn't that kind of film, so its soundtrack will be treated just like your idea of score.

How do you know Grammys don't take the role in the film into consideration?

What I've found is that what is regarded as "pop" is so broad now so there's no reason that Let It Go shouldn't have been nominated in pop if it was a massive top 5 hit. But it wasn't because it was from a movie. I don't know what's so difficult to understand. Why do people seem to think Gaga will be treated differently to everyone else who's ever released hit songs from movies?

1. Grammys Best Score only awards instrumental soundtracks. And since we are discussing whether it can be nominated for best score, the only FACT is NO.

2. Check past winners of the Grammys best original song vs Oscars best original song. Facts again. (Question: Do you think voters would bother to watch thousands of movies just to see if the song is integrated well in it?)

3. Last time I checked, Lady Gaga is a pop megastar who is one of Grammys favourites. Idina Menzel isn't. 

I didn't want to argue with you but facts are facts lol. 

wonderlanddynasty

In my opinion Reputation is very, very weak. Ariana might win a Grammy for God is a Woman but Shallow is the best anyway

ANTI WP
12 minutes ago, Little Monster said:

In my opinion Reputation is very, very weak. Ariana might win a Grammy for God is a Woman but Shallow is the best anyway

Me Too I Dont Want Taylor To Win Anymore Grammys 

wonderlanddynasty
53 minutes ago, Ashtosh said:

Me Too I Dont Want Taylor To Win Anymore Grammys 

Totally agree i mean how does she even have more than queen Gaga??

Archived