Lady Gaga talks BTW sales/tour, defends electronic music

Americano

Featured Posts

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheAmazingAdele

why are you disscusing this now?

I had to raise this topic up because, instead of supporting Gaga, this thread has become a full blown one sided argument blaming Adele for "Born This Way" disappointment, and it seems that bashing Adele has become the norm here in this forum.

Come on Little Monsters, it's not like it's Adele's (and her fans') fault that she's more successful than Gaga. That's just how life rolls.

Regarding "21" - I suspect it is a world record holder for the most amount of copies gathering dust.

It was "the record" to buy in 2011/2012 because I am sure a lot of people wanted to be "seen" having it.

A bit like the New Labour affect of 1997. And it was bought en masse as Xmas/birthday gifts.

Bringing about of course the joke of it being bought by people with alzheimers at least 20 times.

Reminds me a little of "Dark Side Of the Moon" - a great album but bought by many just to play on their new HiFi systems (it was the classic demo disc of the mid seventies) and not really LISTEN to it, just hear the great sound quality.

But does "21" have the appeal for probably 80% of those who bought it to still be playing it regularly?

Could Adele sell out a stadium the size of Twickenham in under an hour? No. Because the vast majority of her fans (if that is the correct term) wouldn't have the motivation to buy tickets immediately and then get round to organising all the transport and hotel accomodation and the resulting cost of seeing her live. And then basically repeat the process with another show the following night.

I had to raise this topic up because, instead of supporting Gaga, this thread has become a full blown one sided argument blaming Adele for "Born This Way" disappointment, and it seems that bashing Adele has become the norm here in this forum.

Come on Little Monsters, it's not like it's Adele's (and her fans') fault that she's more successful than Gaga. That's just how life rolls.

Uh, I'm sorry, but I'm just stating how I feel about 21. That is not "Adele bashing", because I'm carefully listing my personal qualms after having actually listened to both her records with an open mind (I mean, how could I have been biased when 19 first came out?) - if anything 19 deserved Grammy recognition instead of 21. I'm clearly stating my reasons why I think it's a pity even the Grammy committee fell for the smell of good ol' tradition instead of innovation. That has nothing to do with my feelings about 21 being successful to the public.

And imo, it's 21 that's successful sales-wise in the UK and the US - to say Adele is more successful than Gaga (which includes so many factors besides album sales in Western countries) is preposterous, sorry. Gaga is the number one "star" and musician in the world today, in places where nobody has ever even heard of Adele and that's just the way it is. 21 was hugely successful, but that's not to BTW's detriment at all - the BTW era achieved magnificent heights and expounded upon Gaga's ever-evolving artistic vision in ways people have never could have imagined. I'm not disappointed at all that 21 sold more (as you asserted quite callously) because it's predictable and obvious that the more inoffensive content you produce, the more you will sell to the general public - but also the less lasting cultural impact you'll have. And that's all I was talking about - the post you replied to was the first time I even talked about Adele or 21, just fyi.

Now if I'd said I did not like the album and that therefore it sucked without giving any explanation or if I made a disparaging comment about Adele's personality or something that'd be "bashing". Being "pressed" as they call it because Adele has had a good year with 21 might get some people riled up and make comments about her and her work that aren't rooted in reality or honesty - but assuming that any comment not praising Adele into high heavens is "bashing"? That's an ignorant thing to say.

Also please don't bump threads that haven't been commented on for weeks. That post of mine you quoted was made week ago. That's common forum courtesy.

EDIT: Oh, you've got like 6 posts. Nvm. Nice trolling though. :roll:

TheAmazingAdele

Regarding "21" - I suspect it is a world record holder for the most amount of copies gathering dust.

It was "the record" to buy in 2011/2012 because I am sure a lot of people wanted to be "seen" having it.

A bit like the New Labour affect of 1997. And it was bought en masse as Xmas/birthday gifts.

Bringing about of course the joke of it being bought by people with alzheimers at least 20 times.

Reminds me a little of "Dark Side Of the Moon" - a great album but bought by many just to play on their new HiFi systems (it was the classic demo disc of the mid seventies) and not really LISTEN to it, just hear the great sound quality.

But does "21" have the appeal for probably 80% of those who bought it to still be playing it regularly?

Could Adele sell out a stadium the size of Twickenham in under an hour? No. Because the vast majority of her fans (if that is the correct term) wouldn't have the motivation to buy tickets immediately and then get round to organising all the transport and hotel accomodation and the resulting cost of seeing her live. And then basically repeat the process with another show the following night.

I, along with tens of millions who bought the album and have Adele's "21" on their most played tracklist beg to differ. The album is just as good as the first time I heard it over a year ago. I listened to it through and through. Speaking of dust, I bought "Born this Way" physical CD (full price) the day it was released I eventually lend it to my friend and don't have any strong desire for him to return it. I love lots tracks in the album "Born This Way", "The Edge of Glory", "Heavy Metal Lover", "Hair", even "Judas"!! which are IMO very good, But my god what happened to the rest esp. "Scheisse" "Bad Kids", and "Americano" they're just plain unlistenable!

If she wants to, Adele could easily perform in a sold out crowd in a size London Olympic Stadium, but that's just not the direction she's heading.

Uh, I'm sorry, but I'm just stating how I feel about 21. That is not "Adele bashing", because I'm carefully listing my personal qualms after having actually listened to both her records with an open mind (I mean, how could I have been biased when 19 first came out?) - if anything 19 deserved Grammy recognition instead of 21. I'm clearly stating my reasons why I think it's a pity even the Grammy committee fell for the smell of good ol' tradition instead of innovation. That has nothing to do with my feelings about 21 being successful to the public.

And imo, it's 21 that's successful sales-wise in the UK and the US - to say Adele is more successful than Gaga (which includes so many factors besides album sales in Western countries) is preposterous, sorry. Gaga is the number one "star" and musician in the world today, in places where nobody has ever even heard of Adele and that's just the way it is. 21 was hugely successful, but that's not to BTW's detriment at all - the BTW era achieved magnificent heights and expounded upon Gaga's ever-evolving artistic vision in ways people have never could have imagined. I'm not disappointed at all that 21 sold more (as you asserted quite callously) because it's predictable and obvious that the more inoffensive content you produce, the more you will sell to the general public - but also the less lasting cultural impact you'll have. And that's all I was talking about - the post you replied to was the first time I even talked about Adele or 21, just fyi.

Now if I'd said I did not like the album and that therefore it sucked without giving any explanation or if I made a disparaging comment about Adele's personality or something that'd be "bashing". Being "pressed" as they call it because Adele has had a good year with 21 might get some people riled up and make comments about her and her work that aren't rooted in reality or honesty - but assuming that any comment not praising Adele into high heavens is "bashing"? That's an ignorant thing to say.

Also please don't bump threads that haven't been commented on for weeks. That's common forum courtesy.

EDIT: Oh, you've got like 6 posts. Nvm. Nice trolling though. :roll:

I didn't specifically mention you when I said bashing, I call out the posters who literally bashed Adele anywhere in this forum.

I live in Indonesia, Adele and Gaga are VERY popular here. It's difficult to find Adele's albums because they keep flying off the shelves, I went to the record store yesterday, and I saw piles of "Born This Way" on the rack.

Oh so having a small number of posts = trolling, aren't we all trolls at some point then.

I'm sorry, I knew about the old thread rules and I was mistaken because I read the months wrong! I thought the last post was yesterday 11 September 2012 it turns out that it was 11 August !!! My mistake.

Oh so having a small number of posts = trolling, aren't we all trolls at some point then.

I'm sorry, I knew about the old thread rules and I was mistaken because I read the months wrong! I thought the last post was yesterday 11 September 2012 it turns out that it was 11 August !!! My mistake.

I'm sorry as to the troll comment then. Of course everybody has been new here once and there's no problem with that! It was that I hadn't really looked at your username or post count and well, when I saw those and combined that with the fact that an old thread was bumped, I thought it a possibility that somebody who did not like Gaga at all had created an account just for the sake of arguing and rattling people's cages or something. Now I get that's not true with you because trolls usually can't or don't bother to come up with eloquent or rational replies, it's just that those three things struck me as somewhat suspect as it has happened before. I apologize.

As for 21 and its success with the general public, I have summed up my views in that old post of mine that you quoted so I'd only keep repeating what I already said.

Well in all honesty Adele is not as successful as Gaga. Yeah, Adele had one big album with two big hits on it, but what else has she got on her side? Gaga has three successful albums and and a bunch of hits. Besides all that though, I honestly believe Gaga is just as good a vocalist as Adele is when she is actually singing more vocally impressive music. Also, Gaga is much much much bigger throughout the WORLD while Adele is only really big in American and the UK.
We're all Stronger Together!

vertigostick

They are completely different artists and this whole discussion is absolutely USELESS.

Adele is a SINGER, it's only about her voice and the music.

Gaga is an all-round ENTERTAINER, it's about the voice+the music+the visuals+the dancing+the fashion+the performances etc.

In her league, Gaga still leads by MILES.

And their way will (thank God) NEVER cross, cause Gaga always stated from the very beginning she wanted to be more than just a musician.

Adele will soon seem like a distant memory...she's taking a SEVEN year break remember?

Where does that number come from? Anyway, even if she did say that, I'll believe it when I see it.

rivingtonrebels

Where does that number come from? Anyway, even if she did say that, I'll believe it when I see it.

it was 5 years, sorry HA. she said it after the Grammys

StillARockstar

in april adele confirmed it will take her 2 years from now until the next album! she wants to write and produce it on her own. no big hiatus!

I, along with tens of millions who bought the album and have Adele's "21" on their most played tracklist beg to differ. The album is just as good as the first time I heard it over a year ago. I listened to it through and through. Speaking of dust, I bought "Born this Way" physical CD (full price) the day it was released I eventually lend it to my friend and don't have any strong desire for him to return it. I love lots tracks in the album "Born This Way", "The Edge of Glory", "Heavy Metal Lover", "Hair", even "Judas"!! which are IMO very good, But my god what happened to the rest esp. "Scheisse" "Bad Kids", and "Americano" they're just plain unlistenable!

If she wants to, Adele could easily perform in a sold out crowd in a size London Olympic Stadium, but that's just not the direction she's heading.

I am not putting Adele down in this topic, just clarifying things.

You cannot in any way speak for others like that. I know it may seem like I am, but I did say "suspect". You are one of the still large 20% I alluded to.who DO still listen to "21"

In fact, due to the utter crap that is on sale at the moment, including the stuff that is usually to top of the UK charts, the Adele album was like manna from heaven - and something of a good musical standard that people could relate to. She is certainly far superior to the likes of Take That.

However, I now several people in my office that have simply stopped listening to the Adele album.

In the UK - the majority of Adele fans are middle aged (watch the concert at the Royal Albert Hall to confirm this). i.e over 35s

Unlike myself, the majority of UK middle aged people are not avid music fans who don't have the same level of "devotion" to music and who would not travel to London from all corners of the UK to see her. Take That and Spice Girls are in their domain. They are also less savvy when it comes to illegally downloading music. Ergo higher sales ;)

The largest audience Adele has ever played to in the UK was at the Albert Hall which is around 8,000.

She has played one Arena in the USA (but they limited the capacity to 10,000 for her. I've researched this before, but cannot recall at the moment where that was.

Adele on her last UK tour played places like the Brighton Pavilion and Bristol City Hall (when "21" was selling very well.

She is not a Stadium act - she would just be lost in that environment. That is for the likes of U2, Pink Floyd, Madonna, Take That (probably) and of course GAGA

You need dynamic music for places like Twickenham with a big set/light show etc.

And when it comes to making money in a big way these days - it is selling out world-wide tours in Arenas and Stadia that rule.

In 1970, an album cost £2 in the UK , and a concert ticket might have been £1 to £1.50.

Now it is £12 for an album and £60 - £120 for a concert. ticket. Do the maths.

Archived