Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does sampling a popular song guarantees a hit?

MaryJaneHolland

Featured Posts

MaryJaneHolland

Pretty self-explanatory title.

Here are a few examples.

Spoiler

samples

samples

samples

Both songs were/are hits, so...

does sampling a song people know/was a hit guarantees you a hit? :oprah: Of course, in case you are an already known artist.

If so, what song do you think Gaga could/should sample?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Catnikko

No way can you call LWYMMD a sample of that song :air: 

and no there's probably plenty of songs that used samples that were not a hit, the examples you posted are just examples of songs that did it well

Actual patient

RahrahWitch
1 minute ago, Unbeweavable said:

She Did sample it, She even Credited them.

MaryJaneHolland
1 minute ago, Unbeweavable said:

A representative for Swift confirmed that the song interpolated the melody from "I'm Too Sexy", but did not include sampled audio from the earlier song.

Catnikko
Just now, MaryJaneHolland said:

A representative for Swift confirmed that the song interpolated the melody from "I'm Too Sexy", but did not include sampled audio from the earlier song.

But are they confirming it was done on purpose or agreeing that it is the same melody? You can't call it a sample, it's different lyrics, thousands of songs have a similar vocal melody :shrug:

Actual patient

ryhanna

Nope, but it definitely can help. 

Honestly, nothing is 100% original these days. If you can use a sample to put your own twist on things, go right ahead, the examples you've posted have shown that it can work well.

MaryJaneHolland
Just now, Unbeweavable said:

But are they confirming it was done on purpose or agreeing that it is the same melody? You can't call it a sample, it's different lyrics, thousands of songs have a similar vocal melody :shrug:

Many articles were reporting the resemblance the day Look... dropped, so even if it was not a direct simple, it was already a known melody to the public.

Now, back to the topic... ::unicorn:

Chickens in Malibu

To be fair in the case of Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran etc.. as someone who writes songs, there are many songs that I wrote only to realize that I unconsciously sampled or referenced other people's work.

Most of the time these artists will notice similarity after they write the song, so to avoid any issues, they would give them credit. I doubt that they are consciously sampling other people's work.

And Gaga will probably never sample anyone lol... She'd scrap the song especially after BTW mess

Ryusei

I think those 3 are hits because they are huge anyways but I think the familiarity can contribute to it being catchier a lot faster

Musery

PerfectCure

No, not really. I could sample Eh, Eh right now and I'm sure it wouldn't become a hit at all. :laughga:

I don't see Gaga directly sampling a beat any soon, honestly. I feel like she would consider it unoriginal. 

MaryJaneHolland
Just now, PerfectCure said:

I could sample Eh, Eh right now and I'm sure it wouldn't become a hit at all. :laughga:

14 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

Of course, in case you are an already known artist.

:triggered:

PerfectCure
5 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

:triggered:

I'm an already known artist, buy my album soon :ladyhaha:

Still, my answer is no. It depends on how good the sample sounds in your song, and if the melody isn't what the general public wants I don't see how any song featuring a sample could become a hit.

See, this song didn't become a hit and it samples the acoustic version of Poker Face. 

EDIT: omg bop, why wasn't Make Her Say a hit :giveup:

MaryJaneHolland
2 minutes ago, Gen said:

There are samples in Poker Face and Venus, even Alejandro

None of those samples a hit.

MaryJaneHolland
1 minute ago, PerfectCure said:

I'm an already known artist, buy my album soon :ladyhaha:

Still, my answer is no. It depends on how good the sample sounds in your song, and if the melody isn't what the general public wants I don't see how any song featuring a sample could become a hit.

See, this song didn't become a hit and it samples the acoustic version of Poker Face. 

EDIT: omg bop, why wasn't Make Her Say a hit :giveup:

Sis I legit said "if you are an already known artist", who is Kid Cudi? :huntyga:

Archived