💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Article: How LORDE defied misogyny – and expectations

Guest JolanJoringel

Featured Posts

Guest JolanJoringel

I stumbled upon an interesting article I wanted to share about Lorde:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/how-lorde-defied-misogyny-and-expectations-1.3527871

I think it's very interesting, not just about her but also regarding the music industry, well written and ... well, true!

"[...] the immersive electropop masterpiece defied expectation and is set to be Gen Z’s break-up album of note.

[...]

With Melodrama, Lorde was taking a risk – and, self-aware as ever, she nods to it in the very title. You don’t have to look far to find reviews of women by men, describing their heartbreak songs as “melodramatic” – the male gaze eye-rolls at women’s emotions.

[...]

Lorde’s out-of-left-field dive from Pure Heroine’s indie treatment of youth culture to the navel-gazing agony of a personal loss, presented the perfect opportunity for the male critical pen to start scribbling vitriol. But in the minefield of music industry misogyny, Lorde is a hovercraft. She defied patriarchal prescriptions on the risks she should take, and in doing so, sailed right over them.

[...]

Lorde’s chosen subject matter on Melodrama defied the male ear. She was hailed as a prodigy for capturing what it means to be of Gen-Z on Pure Heroine. Little did we realise she could repeat the same feat again, by refracting the Gen-Z self through the prism of personal pain.

[...]

Lorde’s lyricism occupies a stratosphere beyond the standard of pop, and her star continues to rise – as she herself prophesied, we’re all gonna watch her disappear into the sun.

_ _ _ _

I am so glad I am as young as her. Can't wait to watch her career grow!

giphy.gif

Eddie

She never stops to amaze me...she is so young, yet her lyrics are so mature and relatable. Love her :sara:

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

BABBLYON

Melodrama really is THAT album. Why else would it be the only female album that was nominated for AOTY last year at the Grammy's. It's a piece of art.

sipthistea

How is she fighting misogyny when she's a misogynist woman herself? 

All the constant judgement against other women because they're not like her, or because they choose to be more feminine and sexy. She's even criticized Selena Gomez or Taylor Swift for that very reason.

Hipocrisy much? 

DelusionalGaga
9 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

All the constant judgement against other women because they're not like her, or because they choose to be more feminine and sexy. She's even criticized Selena Gomez or Taylor Swift for that very reason.

Hipocrisy much? 

That was years ago and Taylor and Lorde have been on good terms since then :oprah:

Bleachella
11 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

Hipocrisy much? 

girl literally what the **** 

shes probably one of the few white pop stars that are intersectional feminists and one of the least problematic pop stars out there.

Guest JolanJoringel
16 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

Hipocrisy much? 

She criticized them BECAUSE she is a feminist. From a feministic point of view and not because they are unlike her.

Punktious

Still mad she didn't win AOTY, Melodrama means everything to me

Archived