💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Change My Mind: Hey Girl is one of the best songs on Joanne

duckworth

Featured Posts

RepentingSinner

I agree! Its really one of the best songs on Joanne. Pfft, people saying simple instrumental and badabadabada. Not every song needs to be over the top blaring synths and 5 octave vocals. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great song, I love the slinky groove, the laid-back, retro vibe, the harps and the weird synth lines. I like the overall message, and love the lyrics of the middle eight, and its murmured reprise in the outro. Gaga's voice is silky smooth and warm and soulful, with her more restrained delivery providing a much needed contrast to her more bombastic, rock n' roll vocals elsewhere on the album.

My only criticism of the song is that Florence does not mesh well with Gaga on the song at all. She just does not have anything like the control over her voice that Gaga does, nor the warmth. Her big, shouty vocals suit her brand of baroque pop well but they have no place on such a soulful number as this.

With a better guest vocalist, this song would be 10/10. As it is it's a 9, and still one of the best little oddities in Gaga's discography.

Irrelevant
1 hour ago, baptism said:

She could have just sang the entire thing, for that matter. Nonetheless if she played it live I would have taken a bathroom break. 

Lmao trust me any song will sound better live. I hated CTM but it was still a moment during the JWT

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

RAMROD

Yeah sex is good, but have you ever play Perfect Illusion with great sound systems in a sound proof room so you can play it loudly tho?!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

JazzGa

I won't change ur mind cuz I agree :music:

Help me, hold my hair back

Walk me home when I can't find a cab

We dance down the Bowery

Hold hands like we were seventeen again

Florence's vocals are just butter, so smooth and bluesy. The vocal harmonies in the bridge are so great, I feel like vocal harmony is criminally underutilized in pop music today, especially in features. Most features today feel so stitched together. Exhibit A: Do What U want, R. Kelly's part has literally nothing to do lyrically or melodically with Gaga's. Hey Girl is a beautiful example of how to do a duet that's truly a duet, not a slapped-on cash grab feature. 

I also think that vampy, slinky funk/disco beat is underrated, I love vogueing to it when I get ready to go out with my friends

I've taken a few dips in the lady pond

JazzGa
53 minutes ago, Eggs said:

It's a great song, I love the slinky groove, the laid-back, retro vibe, the harps and the weird synth lines. I like the overall message, and love the lyrics of the middle eight, and its murmured reprise in the outro. Gaga's voice is silky smooth and warm and soulful, with her more restrained delivery providing a much needed contrast to her more bombastic, rock n' roll vocals elsewhere on the album.

My only criticism of the song is that Florence does not mesh well with Gaga on the song at all. She just does not have anything like the control over her voice that Gaga does, nor the warmth. Her big, shouty vocals suit her brand of baroque pop well but they have no place on such a soulful number as this.

With a better guest vocalist, this song would be 10/10. As it is it's a 9, and still one of the best little oddities in Gaga's discography.

Great comment, you have a beautiful way of describing sound. I agree that their voices don't mesh well in the verses, with 1 of them doing runs and melismas and breathy notes like crazy and the other singing it straight, but I actually thought that Florence outshone Gaga.  🤷‍♀️

I've taken a few dips in the lady pond

Antichrist
7 hours ago, baptism said:

It's a boring song with mediocre production that sounds like it belongs on an Elton John album, but not even a single, just filler. Also she didn't even bother performing it on tour (there's a reason for that), and really, can you blame her? 

i hope you get baptized for saying that.

A Hybrid
7 hours ago, baptism said:

It's a boring song with mediocre production that sounds like it belongs on an Elton John album, but not even a single, just filler. Also she didn't even bother performing it on tour (there's a reason for that), and really, can you blame her? 

Do you know how tiring it is to sing both her part and Florence’s? It’s not like DWUW, the chorus is two people talking to each other.

Plus, she probably didn’t sing it live because she described the song as “a song I really wanted to do with another girl”. I don’t see the point in a solo version.

No family’s safe when I sashay

baptism
13 minutes ago, A Hybrid said:

Do you know how tiring it is to sing both her part and Florence’s? It’s not like DWUW, the chorus is two people talking to each other.

Plus, she probably didn’t sing it live because she described the song as “a song I really wanted to do with another girl”. I don’t see the point in a solo version.

Well, probably about as tiring as singing TEOG for 9 consecutive minutes.... LOL or any other song with lots of words. Anyway, thank GOD she didn't perform it on tour because I would have hated it and also I don't see a point in a duet OR solo version. 

A Hybrid
24 minutes ago, baptism said:

Well, probably about as tiring as singing TEOG for 9 consecutive minutes.... LOL or any other song with lots of words. Anyway, thank GOD she didn't perform it on tour because I would have hated it and also I don't see a point in a duet OR solo version. 

I don’t listen to it either, but it’s still more meaningful and vocally rich than most “bops” people here like

No family’s safe when I sashay

Monsterish

I recommend you to listen Florence most listened songs on Spotify and you'll know why Hey Girl could've been one of the best epic collabs of this last years with an indie pop-rock sound and not that cringey lyrics and awful vaporwave sound... :saladga:

A missed opportunity :crossed: Choices

Archived