Jump to content
Lady Gagain Vegas
🎤 Use code GAGAVEGAS at SeatGeek.com to get $20 off tickets 🎤
politics

California Dems endorse progressive challenger over Feinstein

Featured Posts

Born To Slay

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/397069-california-dems-endorse-progressive-challenger-over-feinstein

The California Democratic Party endorsed progressive candidate Kevin de León for Senate late Saturday in a stunning rebuke of 25-year incumbent and establishment favorite Dianne Feinstein.

De León, the state Senate president pro tempore, secured 65 percent of the party’s vote, while just 7 percent voted to endorse Feinstein.

A candidate needed 60 percent of the vote to win the endorsement. Twenty-eight percent of the body voted not to endorse any candidate.

  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ALGAYDO
16 minutes ago, Born To Slay said:

while just 7 percent voted to endorse Feinstein.

tumblr_ma2km9WyEl1rs3luo.png

Gummy Bear ➡️ NOT Marinara ➡️ HOMODRAKE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
baptism

Going far left progressive isn't the way to overcome Trump's version of America. This is why the Democratic party is going down in ****ing flames. 

  • Like 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
PartySick
12 minutes ago, baptism said:

Going far left progressive isn't the way to overcome Trump's version of America. This is why the Democratic party is going down in ****ing flames. 

I both agree and disagree.

On the one hand, I do want to see a more energized and pissed off group of lefties taking out the conservatives, especially those in Trump's camp. The GOP is so twisted these days and saying their "elites" are corrupt is an understatement. They're actively harmful to our planet and our society so we need a strong and totally opposite stance. If that comes from the far left, then great.

On the other hand, we need to win over disgruntled Republican voters. Even a sensible red voter won't side with a far left party :hmm: we need to get through to them, show them how the GOP is hurting them, and ask them to join us, if only for the moment, so we can fix the system and have grown ups in office again who want to do right by their constituents. That's hard to do with Trump currently sitting on the remnants of Obama's presidency (job growth, economic stability, a war that's all but won, great relationships with other nations, etc). They give him credit for Obama's work just like they gave Obama sh*t for what Bush left behind.

But as long as the GOP's voter base is happily ignorant and eats up the garbage that Trump, Fox News, and the alt-right media spit out then we won't get anywhere. I wish there was a way to snap them out of it so they can at least vote in sensible Republicans instead of the trash they seem to vehemently worship :saladga: It's lowkey horrible to say but I hope Trump's economic decisions hit his voters hard. Like, really hard. That's the only way their going to learn. All those farmers, factory workers, and manufacturers - the blue collar workforce that supported him - are being harmed by his trade wars and such so...fingers crossed.

...and after typing all of this I realized that Trump is highkey irrelevant here :emma: it's a California election, the farther left, the better.

But yes, on a national scale, I think a more centrist candidate is needed in the short term.

Give sorrow words. The grief that does not speak whispers.
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fable
1 hour ago, baptism said:

Going far left progressive isn't the way to overcome Trump's version of America. This is why the Democratic party is going down in ****ing flames. 

So what, California of all places should just not vote progressives? This isn't a national election, it's a state election.

I disagree anyway, progressive ideas are popular with the majority of Americans when polled:

- Polls show Medicare-For-All has broad support from the majority of Americans (including majority Dems and majority Independents).
- Over 60% of Americans support tuition free college. (including majority Dem, Independents AND Republican)
- 72% of Americans agree agree "that given the amount of greenhouse gases that it produces, the United States should take aggressive action to slow global warming."
- 84% of Americans believe money has too much of an influence on politicians (agreed by majority Democrat, Independent and Republican).
- There is also bipartisan majority (63%) who support increasing the minimum wage to $15

Democrats need to do more than argue against Trump's view of what America should be. They need to provide their own strong vision about what America should (and can) be. 

Running on a popular platform seems like an obvious thing to do. These ideas, and more progressive ideas, also poll very well with independents which is important in general elections and many of them also poll very well with Republicans :shrug: If Democrats can't win by pushing forward with an agenda that the majority of the U.S agrees with, if Democrats can't win by pushing forward with an agenda that has bi-partisan support among voters, then they don't have a chance at all.

We've already seen how 'centrist' Democrats went against Trump... They lost all three levels of Government. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luc
1 hour ago, PartySick said:

I both agree and disagree.

On the one hand, I do want to see a more energized and pissed off group of lefties taking out the conservatives, especially those in Trump's camp. The GOP is so twisted these days and saying their "elites" are corrupt is an understatement. They're actively harmful to our planet and our society so we need a strong and totally opposite stance. If that comes from the far left, then great.

On the other hand, we need to win over disgruntled Republican voters. Even a sensible red voter won't side with a far left party :hmm: we need to get through to them, show them how the GOP is hurting them, and ask them to join us, if only for the moment, so we can fix the system and have grown ups in office again who want to do right by their constituents. That's hard to do with Trump currently sitting on the remnants of Obama's presidency (job growth, economic stability, a war that's all but won, great relationships with other nations, etc). They give him credit for Obama's work just like they gave Obama sh*t for what Bush left behind.

But as long as the GOP's voter base is happily ignorant and eats up the garbage that Trump, Fox News, and the alt-right media spit out then we won't get anywhere. I wish there was a way to snap them out of it so they can at least vote in sensible Republicans instead of the trash they seem to vehemently worship :saladga: It's lowkey horrible to say but I hope Trump's economic decisions hit his voters hard. Like, really hard. That's the only way their going to learn. All those farmers, factory workers, and manufacturers - the blue collar workforce that supported him - are being harmed by his trade wars and such so...fingers crossed.

...and after typing all of this I realized that Trump is highkey irrelevant here :emma: it's a California election, the farther left, the better.

But yes, on a national scale, I think a more centrist candidate is needed in the short term.

If we look at European politics, it's easier for far-right people to switch to far-left or even communist than towards the centre or centre-left. Besides, the US has a turn-out problem and you could also say the US needs a real leftist to catch up on fields like carbon emission reduction, college tuition and healthcare quickly. 

On the other hand the suburban HRC voters and perhaps minorities will have a tougher time voting for a candidate like Sanders. You need a mix of some sorts. Charismatic, trustworthy and appealing to different parts of the spectrum.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Postboy
15 hours ago, baptism said:

Going far left progressive isn't the way to overcome Trump's version of America. This is why the Democratic party is going down in ****ing flames. 

First of all, De Leon is not that progressive or far left. You’re just regurgitating a talking point that both conservative and “liberal” media in response to progressives demanding basic human rights that should be available in today’s first world societies. 

Second of all, voting in progressives is not a tactic “against Trump.” The Democratic Party needs to be more than just anti-Trump. Democrats are never going to win over his racist voter base with centrist neoliberal policies. Identity politics that don’t address the hard ships of working class Americans. Pushing for middle class economic policies is what will win independents, non-voting democrats, and even moderate republicans.

Third of all, Progressives winning democratic seats is not a sign of the Democratic Party is falling apart. It’s actually a sign of surge in excitement over the democratic process and progressive policies. “Going down in flames” would be progressives leaving the Democratic Party to form a new party or a coalition with the Greens. Democrats are lucky that currently isn’t widely seen as the best course of action. Continue taking corporate money, voting for billionaire tax cuts, voting down net neutrality or universal healthcare bills in California and people will likely exit the Democratic Party. 

 

Edited by Postboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
baptism
43 minutes ago, Fable said:

We've already seen how 'centrist' Democrats went against Trump... They lost all three levels of Government. 

You don't think that a division in the party (caused largely in part by socialist Jesus himself Bernie Sanders) had anything to do with it?

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
baptism
25 minutes ago, Postboy said:

First of all, De Leon is not that progressive or far left. You’re just regurgitating a talking point that both conservative and “liberal” media in response to progressives demanding basic human rights that should be available in today’s first world societies. 

Second of all, voting in progressives is not a tactic “against Trump.” The Democratic Party needs to be more than just anti-Trump. Democrats are never going to win over his racist voter base with centrist neoliberal policies. Identity politics that don’t address the hard ships of working class Americans. Pushing for middle class economic policies is what will win independents, non-voting democrats, and even moderate republicans.

Third of all, Progressives winning democratic seats is not a sign of the Democratic Party is falling apart. It’s actually a sign of surge in excitement over the democratic process and progressive policies. “Going down in flames” would be progressives leaving the Democratic Party to form a new party or a coalition with the Greens. Democrats are lucky that currently isn’t widely seen as the best coarse of action. Continue taking corporate money, voting for billionaire tax cuts, voting down net neutrality or universal healthcare bills in California and people will likely exit the Democratic Party. 

 

I think going down in flames would probably look a little something like a party not in control of the house, the senate, the presidency, OR the supreme court. there's an incredible division in the party and that fracture is causing the parties message to be misconstrued and convoluted since there are different factions of the same party feeling differently. it's a mess and right now to even begin to push their agenda to the left they need to focus more on the center. they're never going to even begin to rebuild if they can't carry any independent voters or center-right voters and they can't do that with far left extremists and progressives (sadly). facts. 

Edited by baptism
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
baptism

errr delete this? lol idk what happened

Edited by baptism

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fable
33 minutes ago, baptism said:

I think going down in flames would probably look a little something like a party not in control of the house, the senate, the presidency, OR the supreme court. there's an incredible division in the party and that fracture is causing the parties message to be misconstrued and convoluted since there are different factions of the same party feeling differently. it's a mess and right now to even begin to push their agenda to the left they need to focus more on the center. they're never going to even begin to rebuild if they can't carry any independent voters or center-right voters and they can't do that with far left extremists and progressives (sadly). facts. 

Yeah, it probably would look a little something like that :shrug: I mean... That's exactly my point. If Democrats had run on popular, progressive platforms, that have the support of the majority of Americans, maybe they wouldn't be going down in flames.

Trying to go centrist clearly didn't work... That's been the Democratic was of thinking for a while now and this is where it's left us.

To say that you need centrists to carry independent voters and center-right voters while ignoring the fact that these progressive proposals are popular with the majority of Americans, popular with the majority of independents and even have strong to majority support with Republicans is just odd to me.

35 minutes ago, baptism said:

You don't think that a division in the party (caused largely in part by socialist Jesus himself Bernie Sanders) had anything to do with it?

I think that's a pretty bizarre place to put the blame, yeah.

To say that one politician (Bernie Sanders), who happens to be the most popular politician in the U.S, introducing a progressive way forward (that the majority of Americans support) to the Democratic party in the Democratic primaries lost Democrats all three levels of government is pretty out there.

I'd argue that in a clearly populist time, with a great desire for populist anti-establishment candidates, the DNC's admitted preferential treatment of one of the most Establishment candidates in modern history and it's rejection and lack of support on all levels for any candidates or potential candidates (for all levels of Government) who held progressive, populist values and ran on platforms that had the support of a majority of Dems and Independents is a significant factor that explains why Democrats have lost big time.

The Dems didn't have a strong vision for the U.S, for what direction they wanted to take the U.S. You can't tell me that centrist, establishment candidates are the only way to win back the government when they just keep on losing.

Edited by Fable
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whispering

She will still win.

 

The reason why the Democrats have lost both houses have nothing to do with progressive candidates. They are fighting an uphill battle with the gerrymandering and voter restrictions. Then, they simply won't show up for mid-term elections. If you don't show up to vote, it doesn't matter if a progressive or moderate is on the ballot. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woolfsmck

Considering the economy in California...any change is welcome...

Pablo Escobar would be a better senator than  ****upnstein.. 

Edited by Woolfsmck
like a cat in a sil, I watch life, moving&still, proceed across my face, I leave no trace.My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×