Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

When can this generation's artists be considered icons?

sexy

Featured Posts

Been thinking about this the last few days after reading the thread "Taylor Swift is a legend" and when this generation's artists can be considered "icons" in the way that past generation's artists (Elvis, The Beatles, Madonna, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Prince, etc.) are today revered and classified as icons of the industry.

The artists I'm really interested in are (I'm listing the years since their first major album release as the start of their 'career'):

- Beyonce (20 years into her career; 22 Grammys; 7 albums; 6 Hot #1s, 10 #1s total including Destiny's Child)

- Kanye West (14 years into his career; 11 albums; 21 Grammys; 4 Hot 100 #1s)

- Rihanna (12 years into her career; 8 albums; 9 Grammys; 14 Hot 100 #1s)

- Taylor Swift (12 years into her career; 6 albums; 10 Grammys; 5 Hot 100 #1s)

- Adele (10 years into her career; 3 albums; 15 Grammys; 4 Hot 100 #1s) 

- Lady Gaga (10 years into her career; 5 albums; 6 Grammys; 3 Hot 100 #1s)

- Bruno Mars (8 years into his career; 3 albums; 11 Grammys; 7 Hot 100 #1s)

- Kendrick Lamar (7 years into his career; 4 albums; 12 Grammys; 1 Hot 100 #1)

The themes of previous generation's icons are:

- Career longevity

- Both critical acclaim and mainstream popularity

-  Significant contribution(s) to the industry

- Considerable creative involvement in their work 

In my opinion (and as supported by their respective careers), the 8 artists mentioned above seem to be the most likely candidates from the 2000s/2010s to attain icon status. 

My question is - at what point do they actually become "legends"? Once they retire from music? Do they need more eras/hits/time to become full-fledged icons? Do you disagree with any of the people on this list? Anyone I missed? 

(I purposefully left off artists who do not meet one of the 4 themes of past icons - i.e. Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, etc.)

Contrapoints

I consider the key factors to be Longevity and Impact. The longer they remain relevant in some form or the other in a positive light (or even in notoriety, so long as there's some sort of constant exposure really), the closer they appear as 'legends' in my opinion.

GypsyBabe

In my opinion, it is not awards or accolades that makes one an icon or legend. Nor is it simply longevity. It is change. A person needs to have altered the music landscape in some way and have influence in their industry for an extended period of time. 

⚯͛

SolidSnake

When they make unique and creative music with meaningful lyrics. Most of the people you listed imo havent. 

thickandpetite

Longevity. Just because an artist has a lot of Grammys and #1s doesn't mean they should be considered an icon.

PunkTheFunk

Icons and legends disrupt the status quo and do something the world has never seen before.

Achievements like awards and chart positions ultimately mean nothing. Queen, Diana Ross, Janis Joplin, and Chuck Berry never won a Grammy. Beyonce has 22 awards and 63 nominations. Does that mean she's more legendary and iconic? David Bowie never had a #1 album in the US while he was alive. Taylor Swift has had five consecutive albums hit #1. Does that make her more legendary and iconic than Bowie to the American public?

Career longevity also has nothing to do with it. Jimi Hendrix's career only lasted 4 years and yet he is remembered as one of the most influential guitarists in history. Janis Joplin was only around for 3 years before she died, but she's still regarded as one of the greatest artists of all time. The Beatles lasted less than a decade, and yet they were solidified as music legends.

At the end of the day, an icon is someone who changed the game in a way that is remembered for decades to come. It doesn't matter if you had 230 Grammys, 76 #1's, and an 80-year career. If you had no impact, then you aren't an icon.

sipthistea
2 hours ago, SolidSnake said:

When they make unique and creative music with meaningful lyrics. Most of the people you listed imo havent. 

Like Lorde

SpeechIess

Legend status to me means; extensive creativity, broad musical ability, vocal ability (applies to artists like Cher, Celine or Mariah for example.) and a constant re-incarnation of said artists image over the years, keeping fans and the general public on board with them throughout. Always re-inventing their sound is a HUGE part of that. Flop era's don't really count to me because that's tied with success and people all too often claim sales, chart positions Grammy's and other prestigious awards as apart of being a "legend". 

It's great if an artist can uphold that for 20-30 years like Beyonce, sure. But an artist with just as much talent and creativity who "flops" 20 years into their career is considered "over" because they can't sell in the millions again? It makes no sense. 

There are tones of new artists out right now, that I don't see leaving a huge lasting impression like the last decade of pop stars have. 

SolidSnake
1 hour ago, sipthistea said:

Like Lorde

Exactly like Lorde, she will be remembered quite well. She just needs to be a tinge more innovative with her sound but shes on the right track. Shes only starting out

GreenEyes

I think everyone you mentioned are definitely Icons especially for their genres.

But i think Britney spears should be considered in your list, I mean her impact was huge. 

NCgaga

I agree with the change part. When Gaga hopped onto the landscape in 2008, the whole industry was shook. The whole sound of pop moved toward an electronic dance sound. Artists like Beyoncé and Jlo had to completely alter their sound to fit in. People like Nicki Minaj and Christina Aguilera fell right in line with gaga’s outrageous Style. Very similar to how Madonna appeared in the landscape. You have to be a chameleon too, and be able to artistically change with the times. Gaga is easily the most versatile pop artist of this century. Adele will be a legend because the quality of her work and talent is super high. With a voice like that, you don’t have to have an image that is super versatile. Beyonce will be a performance legend much like Tina Turner. However, she hasn’t changed he landscape of music, and has never brought anything “new” to the table- but the quality of her live performing make up for that. 

Anderson123

As some people have already said, I think it's more about the impact an artist has in the industry rather than the number of Grammys, #1's or decades into their career. Amy Winehouse for example, she had a short life but is one of the most influential soul singers, same with Janis Joplin, Aaliyah, etc.

Henri Bardot
4 hours ago, GreenEyes said:

I think everyone you mentioned are definitely Icons especially for their genres.

But i think Britney spears should be considered in your list, I mean her impact was huge. 

She's irrelevant today. 

Unlike Beyoncé or Madonna for example

pooiota

brit4ever
9 hours ago, Henri Bardot said:

She's irrelevant today. 

Unlike Beyoncé or Madonna for example

She as just as relevant as Madonna right now, even more on the singles charts and Britney's impact is way bigger than Beyonce's. :madge:

your point is dellusional :staymad:

Archived