💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Scarlett Johansson Exits 'Rub & Tug' Following Transgender Casting Backlash

Coop

Featured Posts

ShockPop
2 hours ago, Scathach said:

Probably the stupidest answer on this thread. Stay ignorant and don't dare to say you support the LGBT+ community when you obviously only support the LG. 

I'll say what I want to actually and your tantrum does nothing but prove my point.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShockPop
2 hours ago, Luzaleja said:

yeah, because the reason trans actors can't get into auditions for cis roles is because they can't act. I guess Laverne Cox can't act. Jamie Clayton can't act. Cool.

They say they are trans because it's part of who they are. Just like genderfluid people come out as such because it's part of who they are. It helps with representation, and it helps to build acceptance for everyone in the community. 

If trans/genderfluid people are getting jobs because they aren't out, but those who are out aren't getting jobs, that means there is discrimination. If you can only get a job because you're not out, it means you are being forced to stay in the closet. 

I get that, but it's a catch 22. The whole point of transitioning isn't because you love being transgender, it's to be the person outside that you are inside. Being "trans" all your life is a lack of self acceptance really.

monsterdino
4 hours ago, Scathach said:

I'm not going to applaud her for stepping down on a role she should have never taken in the first place.

this @ the ppl who were applauding her lmfao :rip: 

if she didn't get backlash she wouldn't even consider to do this so...

Well said. I was initially on Scarlet's side because I believe actors should have the freedom to portray almost any character however upon thinking about it this could have been a huge chance for a Trans actress/actor to get some spotlight and shine and break into the industry. I did find the way she handled it initially was insensitive and wrong and I am glad she retracted her initial statement.

Reality

I don’t think she should have backed down from the role. What upsets me the most about this and about why so many people are applauding this is that there have been COUNTLESS times cis and/or straight actors have played LGBTQ roles, and no one really seemed to complain about it too much. Like, were you guys offended when Nick Robinson played Simon in Love, Simon? Because I surely was not.

Also, didn’t people before mention that this particular role was about an individual who didn’t fully transition? If that’s the case, why shouldn’t she play the role? If she never transitions, it actually doesn’t make sense for a trans person to play the role in the first place.

Look, I completely understand that LGBTQ people need more representation and opportunities in Hollywood, but I don’t think this is the way to go. I mean, how are you going to get more trans actors when you can’t even make a movie about trans people in the first place? I’m not saying it’s right, I’m saying that it’s the reality of the situation. Once again, look at Love, Simon

🃏🖤👹

Scar97

This is do dumb. I hope y’all are happy a movie about a trans person likely won’t make into the Hollywood spotlight at a time when it needs it most. 

This is is the worst hypocrisy 

Luzaleja
1 hour ago, ShockPop said:

I get that, but it's a catch 22. The whole point of transitioning isn't because you love being transgender, it's to be the person outside that you are inside. Being "trans" all your life is a lack of self acceptance really.

I mean, I think that's something trans people should decide for themselves really, if coming out as trans adds or takes something from their identity. There's also a part of the transgender community that doesn't see transitioning as their goal. They may just wanna try hormones, or nothing at all. 

And even those who transition completely are forced to come out, too. Transitioning takes months to years, depending when you start. So if you didn't want anyone to know, you'd have to have enough money to quit your job for the time you're transitioning, and also to pay for hormones, surgery, etc. You'd also have to change your friend circle, anyone you know who could out you.

And in the case of actors, even if a trans actor didn't say they were so at the start of their career, Hollywood is obsessed with celebrities and their "story", so someone would probably out them anyway. For example, before Ellen Degeneres came out, there was already a lot of questions in the media about her being a lesbian. 

So while I'm sure some or a lot of trans people would like to just be who they are without having to come out, that's just not a reality for most of them.

Killa

Ehh i kinda defended this but she stepping down means shes just afraid of repercussions and thouht wasnt worth it

Instead she should have reached out and really dive into trans comunnity and take that to the role. That would have been great. Really disappointed

Catnikko
6 hours ago, Wigless said:

I’m shocked. Her first statement was basically a middle finger. I’m sure it she didn’t miss a huge multi million dollar check, so she’ll be fine 

Are we reading the same thing? :wtfga: I understand there's an inequality in the business but how does giving this person backlash who had innocent intentions make us different from the people that give backlash when it's a legitimate trans person? This is all so stupid 

Actual patient

Catnikko
49 minutes ago, Killa said:

Ehh i kinda defended this but she stepping down means shes just afraid of repercussions and thouht wasnt worth it

Instead she should have reached out and really dive into trans comunnity and take that to the role. That would have been great. Really disappointed

Wut? She literally cannot win :air: 

Actual patient

RAMROD

That's unfortunate.

Meanwhile the role is better when played by a trans, but just remember just 10 years ago, not many A Class actors and actresses would brave enough to take such roles for the fear of backlash from the homophobic world. What's important is to get the message out there, even  if it was starring an ally and not a trans person. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Xoxo Adriana
11 hours ago, Scathach said:

I'm not going to applaud her for stepping down on a role she should have never taken in the first place.

why are people so sensitive these days? I happen to come under the trans umbrella, I personally was never offended in the first place. However for the rights of trans people she decided to withdraw from this role, which was a respectful decision. What do you want her to do? How else can she prove than she is truely sorry about it? She clearly had no ill intentions when getting this role. 

Today's society has become a domino effect, one person says its offensive, then it hits everyone else. And before you know it, everyones saying it's offensive without even considering or knowing Scarlett's intentions behind it...

Xoxo Adriana
5 hours ago, Scar97 said:

This is do dumb. I hope y’all are happy a movie about a trans person likely won’t make into the Hollywood spotlight at a time when it needs it most. 

This is is the worst hypocrisy 

This is exactly my thoughts.

I'd understand if they were to hire a white person as a black character, but the backlash Scarlett is receiving is so unnecessary. We had 'Love, Simon' who by the way was played by an actor who isn't gay, yet played a gay character. 'Call Me By My Name' was played by two straight actors playing gay characters. How on earth is a woman wanting to support and promote transgender individuals offensive? Those two movies I mentioned had minimal backlash, so why is this getting a heap?

Archived