đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

"Has 2018 Killed the Pop Star?" Vanity Fair article.

Anderson123

Featured Posts

RIPheygirl

Dont forget to pre order High as Hope, it comes out in 3 days so you still have time

ryanripley
Just now, RIPheygirl said:

Dont forget to pre order High as Hope, it comes out in 3 days so you still have time

you have to stop

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

moonboywow

Nothing has killed the pop star. America just doesn’t know how to entertain anymore. 

Benji

I get the angle they're coming from but it's not exactly true.  There are currently five strict pop stars with the top ten singles in the UK; Demi Lovato, Anne-Marie, Jess Glynne, Ariana Grande and Dua Lipa.

You could include the band Years & Years and George Ezra since they practically make pop music, which brings the total up to seven.

7/10 songs in the top 10 are pop songs, the top five all belonging to pop.

AlexanderMagno

Was this article written by a pop forum user? Sounds like someone who can't think of anything else but their pop queens and has no real notion of Music as a whole.

It's stupid to expect a major pop star like Madonna or Michael Jackson or Britney Spears or Lady Gaga to appear every year. 

Just like you can't expect pop music to be the "popular" music everytime.

Glamourpuss
5 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Was this article written by a pop forum user? Sounds like someone who can't think of anything else but their pop queens and has no real notion of Music as a whole.

It's stupid to expect a major pop star like Madonna or Michael Jackson or Britney Spears or Lady Gaga to appear every year. 

Just like you can't expect pop music to be the "popular" music everytime.

Pop never used to be like this though. There was a constant flow of good songs and there was music to cater to all ages. Now a good song doesn't appear for what seems like years. And the charts are dominated by what's popular among young people. 

I agree that big pop stars are a once in a while phenomenon but even the smaller pop stars produced a decent bop now and again. 

River

The labels + streaming killed the pop stars...

And let's be honest, the pop artists became too lazy, there's a new trend and all of them are jumping on it like when pigeons see breadcrumbs..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

adamsenigma
51 minutes ago, ZombieAphrodite said:

Nothing has killed the pop star. America just doesn’t know how to entertain anymore. 

There's Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Madonna, etc. Who can provide good and entertaining music and performances. It's not like, idk, K-Pop, where there's literally 800 manufactured bands doing the same. :)

moonboywow
6 minutes ago, adammonroe said:

There's Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Madonna, etc. Who can provide good and entertaining music and performances. It's not like, idk, K-Pop, where there's literally 800 manufactured bands doing the same. :)

First of all, the Kpop I listen to do not sound like each other. Second of all, Lady Gaga is an exception. She does make American pop exciting 

AlexanderMagno
1 hour ago, PussyGlam said:

Now a good song doesn't appear for what seems like years.

Again, pop stan talk. There have been a few critically successful songs charting, how can you say something like this. We're not talking about alternative or experimental, 95/100 Metacritic, songs, mainstream songs have never been THAT critically acclaimed anyway, but there are good songs. Stop acting like the songs you like are the only possible good songs.

And the charts are dominated by what's popular among young people. 

We live in the age of streaming. Streaming happens through technology and apps. Youngsters are the ones who use streaming the most. So of course charts are dominated by that. The charts have always been dominated by a certain group of people, whether they are the ones who access streaming the most, or the ones who have a bigger buying power.

I agree that big pop stars are a once in a while phenomenon but even the smaller pop stars produced a decent bop now and again. 

And they still do. Dua Lipa, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Childish Gambino. Yes, Billboard is filled with rap songs and I don't know most of them, but that doesn't give me the right to start analysing how music is decaying.

Glamourpuss
10 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

10 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Again, pop stan talk. There have been a few critically successful songs charting, how can you say something like this. We're not talking about alternative or experimental, 95/100 Metacritic, songs, mainstream songs have never been THAT critically acclaimed anyway, but there are good songs. Stop acting like the songs you like are the only possible good songs.

We live in the age of streaming. Streaming happens through technology and apps. Youngsters are the ones who use streaming the most. So of course charts are dominated by that. The charts have always been dominated by a certain group of people, whether they are the ones who access streaming the most, or the ones who have a bigger buying power.

And they still do. Dua Lipa, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Childish Gambino. Yes, Billboard is filled with rap songs and I don't know most of them, but that doesn't give me the right to start analysing how music is decaying.

Perhaps I have a high standard while everyone else is happy to listen to trash. Don't judge me and come to your conclusions because I'm on a Gaga daily site ffs, I think I'm qualified to talk about what makes good pop music when I follow the career of one of the best pop artists ever

Dual Lips is the only decent artist out of the ones you mentioned. (My phone changed her name to that). :laughga:

Cardi B isn't bad but that isn't music to me, it's just talking over a beat. I honestly don't get the hype.

Camila Cabello might have catchy songs but her voice is too child like for me. Havana na na grates on me cos why does she sing like that.

Idk who Childish Gambino is and I don't think I want to. 

Radio Ga Ga
1 hour ago, Benji said:

I get the angle they're coming from but it's not exactly true.  There are currently five strict pop stars with the top ten singles in the UK; Demi Lovato, Anne-Marie, Jess Glynne, Ariana Grande and Dua Lipa.

You could include the band Years & Years and George Ezra since they practically make pop music, which brings the total up to seven.

7/10 songs in the top 10 are pop songs, the top five all belonging to pop.

I think the article is strictly discussing pop music in US tho

Archived