💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Why are male artists streamed much more than females in the USA?

ARTPOP GAGA

Featured Posts

freebit
Just now, misunderstood said:

Times change...and if what you were saying was true then absolutely no female of any genre would be on the charts right now...popular music changes all the time, it just so happens that rap (which happens to be more dominated by males) is that popular genre right now... :shrug:

Yes, times change, and rap is popular, as was white-guy-with-a-guitar rock in the 60s and 70s. I think mainstream rap is becoming more and more innovative sonically, but still has ways to go before it gets out of the (in many ways) backwards male dominated era it is in currently. Until we have more women (&  not to mention lgbt artists) succeeding in the genre - as in I can actually count them on one hand, then will there be real progress IMO. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
misunderstood
Just now, freebit said:

Yes, times change, and rap is popular, as was white-guy-with-a-guitar rock in the 60s and 70s. I think mainstream rap is becoming more and more innovative sonically, but still has ways to go before it gets out of the (in many ways) backwards male dominated era it is in currently. Until we have more women (&  not to mention lgbt artists) succeeding in the genre - as in I can actually count them on one hand, then will there be real progress IMO. 

The reality is a lot of people aren't thinking about the gender or sexuality of the artist when listening to their music...they only care about if it sounds good or not.

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

freebit
2 minutes ago, misunderstood said:

The reality is a lot of people aren't thinking about the gender or sexuality of the artist when listening to their music...they only care about if it sounds good or not.

A lot of people also don't take into account whether a movie is written or directed by a man or woman, but that still doesn't change that Hollywood has a sexism and diversity problem and still needs different voices and stories.

misunderstood
1 minute ago, freebit said:

A lot of people also don't take into account whether a movie is written or directed by a man or woman, but that still doesn't change that Hollywood has a sexism and diversity problem and still needs different voices and stories.

Well you can blame the consumers then...if they weren't streaming artists who just so happen to be male. Maybe more females would get light, idk what the solution will be? :shrug: It's up to the consumer to decide what music to listen to or not. 

freebit
Just now, misunderstood said:

Well you can blame the consumers then...if they weren't streaming artists who just so happen to be male. Maybe more females would get light, idk what the solution will be? :shrug:It's up to the consumer to decide what music to listen to or not. 

And that brings it home to my original post: the world is pretty damn sexist. My hope for the future is that men, and the few women that are in power use their influence to help prop up new female talent as much as they can. Like, for example, though neither are rappers (but one is a stream Queen), I think it's pretty awesome that Rih featured SZA on Anti & helped get her a lot of exposure. Now SZA is really coming into her own, CTRL was a success, and her star just keeps rising. It sounds cheesy, but I think that's amazing, and that's the only way things are going to change.

misunderstood
3 minutes ago, freebit said:

And that brings it home to my original post: the world is pretty damn sexist. My hope for the future is that men, and the few women that are in power use their influence to help prop up new female talent as much as they can. Like, for example, though neither are rappers (but one is a stream Queen), I think it's pretty awesome that Rih featured SZA on Anti & helped get her a lot of exposure. Now SZA is really coming into her own, CTRL was a success, and her star just keeps rising. It sounds cheesy, but I think that's amazing, and that's the only way things are going to change.

Of course it is, always has been.
Yeah because they're listening to what they want to...it's not just because she's a girl :rip:

freebit
1 minute ago, misunderstood said:

Of course it is, always has been.
Yeah because they're listening to what they want to...it's not just because she's a girl :rip:

My point is that I think that this is helping get over the ridiculous stigma of listening "to a girl" that some have. Rihanna is one of the few women artists that are "approved", her (and Kendricks) influence are only going to help. 

misunderstood
15 minutes ago, freebit said:

My point is that I think that this is helping get over the ridiculous stigma of listening "to a girl" that some have. Rihanna is one of the few women artists that are "approved", her (and Kendricks) influence are only going to help. 

Possibly, I can agree with that

Gagadonna

I guess because girls listening to male artists is cool, but (straight) guys listening to female artists is gay. 

ARTPOP GAGA

Thread closed with the answer: Straight men (not the ones on Gagadaily) don't listen to female artists because of the gay thing.

ARTPOP GAGA
1 hour ago, Gagadonna said:

I guess because girls listening to male artists is cool, but (straight) guys listening to female artists is gay. 

But why is it considered "gay" for straight guys to listen to female artists in the US? That thing doesn't happen here in Vietnam.

witchcocktor
4 hours ago, ARTPOP GAGA said:

why does the US like urban music so much? Please tell me. I simple don't get why Europe loves pop music but the US is the opposite.

Europe loves urban music too.. at least in my country (Finland), the biggest, most hyped (new) artists are generally rap/urban artists.

Straight guys don’t like Katy perry and straight girls like rap so of course raps gonna do better both groups like it

Born To Slay
8 hours ago, PatrickMonster said:

The answer: Spotify. Especially as it shows to you friends what music you listen to at the moment. I mean if you don't want to be seen as "gay" or you dont want to be bullied at school the next day, you wont listen to Britney, Gaga or other women that much. That's my theory.

Are people still bullied in 2018 for listening to "gay" music? Maybe in some regions but I don't really see that. I haven't given a hard time about my music taste since elementary school. And I'm a senior in HS now.

Archived