💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga doesn't want The Fame to be your favorite album.

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

NotMyFlop

In Five Foot Two, Gaga has the iconic scene where she discusses men in the industry, Madonna, and her famous 2009 VMA Performance. In that scene, the most striking thing she discussed was that she put the absurd spin on her fashion, videos, and performances so she could feel in control  of what she was doing. This strongly implies that Gaga herself was not at driving force behind The Fame. Obviously, she mentioned how she wrote and helped produced most, if not all of the songs, but she ultimately didn't get to decide what did or did not make the record. She controlled the music somewhat, but she was not in control of her image or brand. Hence why almost all of her performances before she got famous she was in a relatively same outfit. 

I think this has always been fairly obvious, especially with the colossal amount of demos, different versions and other songs from The Fame era. It paints that she did so much, but only so little made the record. It shows how the production was ultimately refined to make a more cohesive record. Thankfully, we got Just Dance, Poker Face, LoveGame, and Paparazzi. :giveup:

Once she became HUGE, she decided to take more control. She became bizarre, weird and eccentric -- she commanded the public's attention. As it goes with every artist, the record label was more willing to let Gaga have creative control because they knew no matter what, it would sell. Gaga then births her arguably two most respected records: The Fame Monster and Born This Way. They were massive successes, spawning multiple hits from each album. Gaga was now almost fully in control of her image. 

However, since The Fame Monster/Born This Way, she has largely ignored the "deep cuts" from The Fame. Besides her 4 massive singles, I don't think she has performed anything else from The Fame in years (correct me if I'm wrong). Even if she has, it is rare. We got Teeth, Venus, Sexxx Dreams AND Speechless during Coachella. We got Scheiße at Coachella and the Joanne World Tour. Lastly, we got Bloody Mary at the JWT. 

None of those came from The Fame. I understand that as her catalog expands, some songs are never going to be performed again. It's how it goes. I think it's interesting she has performed deep cuts from ARTPOP, a commercially less-successful album, but has ignored deep cuts of songs from her highest-selling album. Why do you think she seemingly ignores The Fame? 

In my opinion, it largely is because Interscope kept much tighter control of an unknown artist. Her creativity and ideas were probably censored, changed, etc. Gaga has always talked about artistic expression and how important it is to her. I think with her subsequent records, she was granted more control and therefore she favors those albums more. (I think Born This Way is her favorite) 

But, does Gaga want The Fame to be our favorite record? 

Mirages

Honey Gaga doesn't what your favorite album by her is. She's happy even if you like just one of her songs...I don't think she even thought about it. Of course she wrote BTW for the fans, but that's just what she wanted to do to show us she appreciates us.

I'm the bitch that's fragile

Mirrion Rizzons

well TF is far from being my favourite (4th fav to be exact, so 3rd worst of her 6 releases)

MaryJaneHolland

Ofc she wasn't fully in control of it, it was her debut. Debuts are always commercialized by labels, more or less. She said she put her own spin on the era, so I don't think she would agree with your title.

I doubt Gaga cares what's your favorite album :wtfga: And Interscope or other forces have always had a very big hand on her albums. She has said before that she didn't release the singles she wanted for BTW (in the order she wanted), that releasing DWUW instead of Venus wasn't her idea... She's a pop artist attached to a very powerful business company, not an indie artist. 

Hades

Imagine other artists with 10+ albums that haven't performed many album tracks since they were released. Sometimes you don't relate to your past or want to give a chance to new things and that's partly the thing with The Fame. We may get lucky and get some rare performances in the future. :) 

MaryJaneHolland

Also even if The Fame was 100% commercialized, I'm sure she would've still respected it. At the end of the day, she wouldn't have had the platform nor money to do all those things you named if it wasnt for TF's success.

River

She just wants your money... she's a business..

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

narcoswing
38 minutes ago, NotMyFlop said:

Hence why almost all of her performances before she got famous she was in a relatively same outfit. 

That's because she spent all of her money on that one origami outfit ghhjfjghfhjhj she's said it many times herself before

Andreu
24 minutes ago, River said:

She just wants your money... she's a business..

I truly hope you don't think this

ryanripley
45 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

Ofc she wasn't fully in control of it, it was her debut. Debuts are always commercialized by labels, more or less. She said she put her own spin on the era, so I don't think she would agree with your title.

mess, i once got dragged for calling TF commercial a while ago :selena:

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

MaryJaneHolland
2 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

mess, i once got dragged for calling TF commercial a while ago :selena:

I don't find it commercial-sounding, I'm just assuming it is somehow because of what she said 5F2 (the quote in the OP).

River
3 minutes ago, Andreu said:

I truly hope you don't think this

I think this, I don’t know how old you are, but it’s so naive and young mind to think that she is “not for the money”.

What Gaga is doing is s big business plan to sell more.

If she was really for the fans she would go indie..

Gaga and even Troy bragged in the past that they found the perfect business approach - social medias, for example.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Archived