Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
question

Why Is There So Much Hate To The Million Reasons's Video?

Enzo

Featured Posts

FGGrayson

fugly af, i was expecting visulas like this for a ballad:

𝗟𝗮𝗱𝘆 𝗚𝗮𝗴𝗮 • 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘆 𝗠𝗼𝗼𝗿𝗲 • 𝗦𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗶𝗲-𝗘𝗹𝗹𝗶𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝘅𝘁𝗼𝗿 • 𝗣𝗮𝗿𝗶𝘀 𝗝𝗮𝗰𝗸𝘀𝗼𝗻

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chromatislaps
10 minutes ago, tellemhone said:

It's a slow ballad, and it got a slow ballad-type video. I don't know what people were expecting

I was hoping her to portray Beethoven going deaf, whilst him trying to making music. During his life he had a lot of personal issues from health concerns to social relations. He had a lot of reasons for giving up, but went on making music until his death whilst being fully deaf. He even composed this magnus opus when he was deaf:

I feel her portraying Beethoven in a 19th century style setting would have been beautiful :tony: 

LIKELADYAGAGA
11 minutes ago, Enzo Escobar said:

Title

Why Million Reason's video gets so much hate?

I cringe a little when it fades to black and white but its fine. :lolga:

Tom Nook

I wouldn’t be surprised if most the dislikes come from the fans :selena: looking back it’s an ok video could it be more grandeur obviously but my reception now is definitely a glo up from this tbh :poot: 

wS0FUGO.gif

Uh Red Wine... Convict... Gah Gah...

ryanripley

look at the JWT visuals and then look at the MR video and tell me she couldn’t have done 100 times better and no, i don’t mean it has to be OTT and full of CGI

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

tellemhone
10 minutes ago, FlopSlurper said:

don't get it twisted, even this would've been better :madge: 

Ngl I agree with you, it's a great video.

:air: :air: :air:

ignotus

'cause it's not her walking slowly in a meadow, looking like a goddess, with fireflies lighting her way while the pink moon sympathizes with her sentiments. 

it's a pretty mediocre vid compared to what her videos are known for. 

The video was heavily narrative based, and the narrative wasn't strong. I understand what went on, but it just wasn't told well, it was convoluted and at times confusing. Things happened that didn't seem motivated (both narratively and technically) and emotions seemed to sometimes rapidly cycle without motivation.

It was a narrative that was poorly written, and I think a lot of that was due to the singles and the complete narrative of the Joanne story as a whole, as well as the music that would be chosen as singles, not being worked out before they decided to link all the music videos. The video left us with questions, and not the good thought provoking type, the type like "Wait, why did this happen?" and "How did this happen?" 

Visually I think it looked nice, it was well shot, but there seemed to be no motivation behind the shots - like okay it's a cool shot to see these black SUV's pull up into some parking lot and have the doors open simultaneously... But that seems kinda intimidating, especially with that uneasy hum that comes when the doors open. Was it meant to seem intimidating though? Like I study screen production, I know what those shots and that sound imply, but suddenly she is just walking into this studio to get her makeup done? And everybody is just cool that she disappeared all day and night because she ran away to dance in the desert where she just tumbled around hallucinating?

All we see in the first act are these huge, looming SUVs shot from particular angles with this unnerving humming sounds whenever they appear. They collect Gaga, is she there against her will? Have they taken her? What's going on? She sits down in the chair and the screen becomes black and white and the piano starts to play, that would indicate a change in tone.... Is she suddenly sad? I thought she had been sad all along? What's the motivation behind that? Oh wait now halfway through the video, with no idea what those SUVs where about, we see all her staff/friends running to get her, help her and comfort her... So the people in the SUVs were good people - and they comforted her and gave her strength but then she was sad again when she got to the studio to sit down? + they just grabbed her and put her back to work and nobody else in the studio seems to care that she ran away and disappeared. What's up with that?

It was poor storytelling. They clearly had a problem with getting her from point A (the desert) to point B (the studio) and had to explain it away with just "Well this happened, and this happened and then this happened" rather than there being a motivation for how things unfolded.

DiamondAngel

She didn't actually make a video for it. She just used a bunch of behind the scenes shots from a performance and a commercial. 

She used behind the scenes at VS Fashion Show and her Apple Music commercial. Plus some perfect Illusion video shots. I don't know where the budget was for the Joanne era but it certainly didn't go into the music videos.

24 minutes ago, FlopSlurper said:

don't get it twisted, even this would've been better :madge: 

Agree, and it's not even because it's more visually exciting, it just has a narrative to it that makes sense. We know how and why we got from point A to point B, there is motivation in the story and motivation in how it's shot and edited.

Archived