• Paparazzi
    • Telephone
    • Marry the Night
    • G.U.Y (An ARTPOP Film)
    • Million Reasons (poor ha)

Featured Posts

smokingthemall
4 hours ago, derpmonster said:

Don't you two understand the Marry The Night video concept? :O It's a great video because it's emotional, fierce, intense, and has great choreo. I personally love the burning cars - it's all real - they exploded cars right in front of her face.

The prologue begins with her experience in 2006. She's in this industry (hospital) with all these other women who seem to have lost their minds (and clothes). "I'm gonna be a star." Even though she's going through a lot health wise, she is passionate. In this video, she's a dancer, not a singer, looking to make a career. That's when she gets a call from her "director" aka Def Jam who tell her she has been dropped for being too out there and that it wouldn't work. She gets mad, she tells them "But I'm an artist, what do you mean?" In her rage, she seems to lose her mind and she's seen crying as she looks at all the other dancers who have successfully made it. That's when she sits in her bathtub dyeing her hair humming, "I'm gonna marry the night." Because that's what you would do. "Like any girl would, I did all over again." She went back to the dance studio, trying to be successful. She looked up at all the other people around her who seemed much more successful.

That's when the song starts and you see her struggling inside her car, half in, half out, crying. All the burning cars in the background represent her past failures. She sets fire to one of them. During the first verse and chorus, she tells herself that she's gonna marry the night and not give up. That's how she'll succeed. In the second verse, she's back to the dance studio. Trying to do her best. In the bridge, when everyone else is happy, she is feeling overwhelmed by her competition and people who are pushing her around, blocking her way, etc. You keep seeing scenes back at the bathtub and the cars because the struggles are the same. Her life is at different stages but the struggles are exactly the same. After that in the last chorus, she dances again and one of her competitors falls down while dancing. She helps her get up (heygirl.mp3) and feels good about it. She's finally cheering up towards the end and feeling more confident. That's when she goes outside dressed in her Fame/LoveGame look (possible allusion?) to signal the part of her life she's finally seeing success in. You see everything in her life come together. All the struggles, all the passion, all the differentness (her huge hat that wouldn't have fit in the car but does). The old man on the stairs could be her dad helping her throughout or maybe Tony Bennet?  :sweat: Then she finally pours gasoline on and explodes everything bad from her past. Her palm at the ned says "Interscope Records 4 pm" Possibly when she was signed? I don't see why they would put a time on it if it were just a way to put their branding on.

Obviously, the story of her life is not that linear, not that straightforward. But that's the point of this video. "It's not that I don't want to remember things exactly as they happened; it's just that I prefer to remember it in an artistic way... My past is an unfinished painting. And as the artist of that painting, I must fill in all the ugly holes."

I think MTN is a creative, visual, and sonic masterpiece that has a depth that surpasses pretty much everything else. That's why it's the best long video.

beautiful synopsis 

chase your big, beautiful dreams

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
derpmonster
4 hours ago, Glamourpuss said:

Obviously Telephone and I'm surprised it doesn't rank higher in the poll. I think if we didn't know that Gaga wasn't happy with the results that it would be ranking higher. 

No, I'm pretty sure it would still be Marry The Night. :selena:

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

As a long vid G.U.Y is the only real one really, but I'm not a fan. I instantly rounded it down to Paparazzi and MR and ended up with MR.

Archived