Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How much would streaming have affected Gaga's pre-streaming singles?

sexy

Featured Posts

Spotify first began to be included in the formula for the Hot 100 in March 2012, and YouTube was incorporated a year later in February 2013. Thus, all of Gaga's singles prior to Applause in August 2013 did not include her YouTube views or streams.

My question: how would Gaga's singles' peaks change had streaming/YouTube been taken into account on the Hot 100 for the majority of her career?

Personally, I think she'd have significantly more and longer-lasting #1s. Bad Romance certainly would have reached the summit, and I think Telephone and The Edge of Glory could have veritably been #1s as well. I think Poker Face and Just Dance would have had more longevity at the top spot (despite being the #1 bestselling song of 2009, Poker Face was only at the top spot on the Hot 100 for one week, which doesn't reflect its actual popularity at all; Just Dance was there for 3 weeks). One thing that's interesting to me about Gaga is that her hits in her early career were outsized in comparison to their chart positions – the most glaring examples being Poker Face, Just Dance, Bad Romance, and Telephone. 

I also think that Alejandro would have actually been boosted considerably, from #5 to probably #3 or #2 (potentially). It was actually the 8th most viewed music video of 2010 and I think the controversy surrounding that video, had it been taken into account in its charting, would have reflected greater popularity than its actual #5 position. 

For reference, these are the peak positions for Gaga's pre-streaming/YouTube singles: 

Spoiler

1. Just Dance - #1

2. Poker Face - #1

3. LoveGame - #5

4. Paparazzi - #6

5. Bad Romance - #2

6. Telephone - #3

7. Alejandro - #5

8. Born This Way - #1

9. Judas - #10

10. The Edge of Glory - #3

11. You and I - #6

12. Marry the Night - #29

Chromatislaps

if streaming was big in 2009, her streaming number would be of the charts. She was hip and happening back then, the new IT girl...so yeah it would have smashed records

TheRoof

Bad Romance number 1 for 9 weeks (love you Kesha but is the true :bon:)

Telephone number 1 for 4 weeks (that count for beyonce too:madge: but wharever)

even Alejandro and Judas would have  a chance

Arturo

Tik Tok was a YT flop by comparison. BR would have been #1 no question.

On the downside, Judas would have missed the Top 10 in its debut. The Edge of Glory wouldn't have been a Top 3 hit. (During TEOG's chart run as a radio single the highest it went was #6)

ArtGagaPop

Tbh more or less every one would gone 1# with streaming. Her videos were huge back then and had huge first week views for that time.

But when streaming and youtube actually started to matter her video game got ****. Only 2 videos for ARTPOP, 1 one of them almost 15 min long and more of a promo single then real single. No video for DWUW and no more singles after guy. Only 2 singles from Joanne and long wait for MR video.

She needs to keep doing atleast 4 good videos for each album era and maybe a ft now and then if her streaming power should go back to where it was.

ArtGagaPop
2 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Tik Tok was a YT flop by comparison. BR would have been #1 no question.

On the downside, Judas would have missed the Top 10 in its debut. The Edge of Glory wouldn't have been a Top 3 hit. (During TEOG's chart run as a radio single the highest it went was #6)

But wasnt judas video views huge for the first weeks? Big enough for it to chart in top 10 anyways.

Arturo
1 minute ago, ArtGagaPop said:

But wasnt judas video views huge for the first weeks? Big enough for it to chart in top 10 anyways.

I'm not sure. It's digital sales were still pretty poor. Who knows if it would have gone top 10 weeks later once the video came out.

Thats has no sense to even imagine how it could be, I mean, are we going to the past to develop Spotify to boost Gaga's carrer?

Delulu Rogers

If streaming and youtube was included back then pretty much all of her singles would have gone #1. Back to reality, how did love game chart higher than paparazzi when paparazzi was way bigger in popularity and had that vma performance???

Archived