Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

UK Charts Discussion - Track "Applause" here!

Jase

Featured Posts

Ellie Sioux

is it just me who thinks ellie goulding's a bit of a sell out now? :laughga:

but yeah, i think 'burn' has the potential to go #1.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

Holy crap. Unapologetic has completely dropped out the top 100. AFTER JUST 36 WEEKS. This is absolutely unheard of for Rihanna these days. Apart from her first two albums and Rated R, all her albums stay in the charts for well over a year without dropping out once. The fact she releases around 6-7 singles from each album and starts one era immediately after the last one ends is obviously a big reason for this. She's a singles artist, so every single she releases is going to cause interest in her album again and she's usually still got some hype going from the last album to keep two records in the charts. Plus interest in her after she tours the UK. Despite her huge #1 lead single (which she performed on X Factor) and her big top 10 follow up hit (also performed on X Factor) and her recent UK tour dates, to fall out the charts this early is worrying. Because she failed to promote or provide a video for her last two singles, they've slid by completely unnoticed and as such, the public don't think she's released anything since Stay and there's no hype going for her. This proves that without promotion and radio support (according to Jase, Radio 1, who loves Rihanna, dropped Right Now from their playlist), Rihanna really isn't an amazing hit maker and moments like this alert to how many flop singles she's had. As of this moment, I've counted 19 flop singles (from a worldwide perspective). There's possibly more depending on what you consider a flop. But even though she's let Pour It Up and Right Now flop, it's still no excuse for her dropping out the charts so early. TTT had 6 singles, 2 of which were only US radio releases with no videos and her lead single was the only success she had in the UK for months until WHYB finally dropped. There was also no tour and no further promotion. Despite that, the album remained in the charts for well over a year and even temporarily went back to #1 nine months after release due to an iTunes discount. So why has Unapologetic lost the public's interest despite two successful first and second singles and a tour? Maybe Jase is right: Rihanna's star appears to be fading. If she really is thinking of taking a break after this, it could be quite a risk. We saw what happened last time she did that. And she'd miss her annual X Factor appearance. If that show ever stops, I don't know how she'll promote herself over here.

And if this will make you feel any better about BTW's supposed lack of success: it charted for 52 consecutive weeks (i.e. a full year). despite no UK #1's, her biggest UK singles all being released before the album, her lack of crowd-pleasing singles afterwards, not touring until well after the album was over and selling over 227,000 copies in the first week. I still can't quite believe that achievement, but she did it. Could you imagine if Unapologetic had sold that much in the first week? It would have dropped out the charts months ago.

Blank Space

Holy crap. Unapologetic has completely dropped out the top 100. AFTER JUST 36 WEEKS. This is absolutely unheard of for Rihanna these days. Apart from her first two albums and Rated R, all her albums stay in the charts for well over a year without dropping out once. The fact she releases around 6-7 singles from each album and starts one era immediately after the last one ends is obviously a big reason for this. She's a singles artist, so every single she releases is going to cause interest in her album again and she's usually still got some hype going from the last album to keep two records in the charts. Plus interest in her after she tours the UK. Despite her huge #1 lead single (which she performed on X Factor) and her big top 10 follow up hit (also performed on X Factor) and her recent UK tour dates, to fall out the charts this early is worrying. Because she failed to promote or provide a video for her last two singles, they've slid by completely unnoticed and as such, the public don't think she's released anything since Stay and there's no hype going for her. This proves that without promotion and radio support (according to Jase, Radio 1, who loves Rihanna, dropped Right Now from their playlist), Rihanna really isn't an amazing hit maker and moments like this alert to how many flop singles she's had. As of this moment, I've counted 19 flop singles (from a worldwide perspective). There's possibly more depending on what you consider a flop. But even though she's let Pour It Up and Right Now flop, it's still no excuse for her dropping out the charts so early. TTT had 6 singles, 2 of which were only US radio releases with no videos and her lead single was the only success she had in the UK for months until WHYB finally dropped. There was also no tour and no further promotion. Despite that, the album remained in the charts for well over a year and even temporarily went back to #1 nine months after release due to an iTunes discount. So why has Unapologetic lost the public's interest despite two successful first and second singles and a tour? Maybe Jase is right: Rihanna's star appears to be fading. If she really is thinking of taking a break after this, it could be quite a risk. We saw what happened last time she did that. And she'd miss her annual X Factor appearance. If that show ever stops, I don't know how she'll promote herself over here.

And if this will make you feel any better about BTW's supposed lack of success: it charted for 52 consecutive weeks (i.e. a full year). despite no UK #1's, her biggest UK singles all being released before the album, her lack of crowd-pleasing singles afterwards, not touring until well after the album was over and selling over 227,000 copies in the first week. I still can't quite believe that achievement, but she did it. Could you imagine if Unapologetic had sold that much in the first week? It would have dropped out the charts months ago.

Preach it!  :worship:

Rihanna is the Queen of Quantity. Too busy touring to do videos to promote her singles. 

Basically she created Rihanna-mania in late 2010 on the strength of her Emenim duet, Loud album, and multiple X factor performance. Even since. the momentum has been coasting download except for We Found Love.

SomethingMore

Despite all we've just said about Rihanna, Miley is on her way to #1 with a Rihanna sounding song that was written for Rihanna.

Yet Miley herself has never been Top 10 UK before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miley_Cyrus_discography

- 3 studio albums in top 10

- 3 soundtrack albums in top 10

- 1 remix album in top 10

- 0 songs in the top 10, but 3 songs reached #11 :rip:

glitterintheair

some singles sales for the week:

1 Avicii 124,356 (545,408)
2 John Newman 49,643
3 Robin Thicke 45,729
4 Lana Del Rey/Cedric Gervais 40,891
5 One Direction 39,315
6 Icona Pop/Charli XCX 34,688
7 Naughty Boy/Sam Smith 30,622
8 Passenger 29,773
9 Calvin Harris/Ayah Marar 28,810
10 will.i.am 26,700

11 Jay Z/Justin Timberlake 26,358
12 Eliza Doolittle 21,089
15 Arctic Monkeys 18,968
24 Rudimental/Foxes 12,660
28 Disclosure [F For You] 11,006
30 Imagine Dragons [it's Time] 9,840
39 AlunaGeorge 7,689

albums:

1 Richard & Adam 28,982
2 Jahmene Douglas 14,547
3 Passenger 10,586
4 Jay Z 9,872
5 Rod Stewart 8,897
6 David Guetta 8,878
7 Michel Buble 8,680
8 Scouting For Girls 8,419
9 Rudimental 7,982
10 Imagine Dragons 7,895

11 AlunaGeorge 7,690
16 Backstreet Boys 6,316
18 Disclosure 5,728
21 Five Finger Death Punch 5,319
29 Fleetwood Mac 3,567

12 Eliza Doolittle 21,089

That's her lead single, right?

Looks like she's a one album wonder, and will have to go back to Henry Higgins.  :cool:

Please gaga need to get ha 5th #1 

I cant believe she didnt get any #1 from BTW era

glitterintheair

That's her lead single, right?

Looks like she's a one album wonder, and will have to go back to Henry Higgins.  :cool:

yeah it's her lead.

what's/who's henry higgins?

Jase

iTunes Update

LH1bmI4.jpg

01. We Can't Stop - Miley Cyrus

02. Wake Me Up - Avicii

03. Trampoline (feat. 2 Chainz) - Tinie Tempah

04. Summertime Sadness (Cedric Gervais Remix) - Lana Del Rey

05. Blurred Lines (feat. T.I. & Pharrell) - Robin Thicke

06. Love Me Again - John Newman

07. Best Song Ever - One Direction

08. Holy Grail (feat. Justin Timberlake) - Jay-Z

09. Thinking About You (feat. Ayah Marar) - Calvin Harris

10. Let Her Go - Passenger

11. Bang Bang - will.i.am

12. I Love It (feat. Charli XCX) - Icona Pop

13. Right Here (feat. Foxes) - Rudimental

14. Big When I Was Little - Eliza Doolittle

15. La La La (feat. Sam Smith) - Naughty Boy

16. Come & Get It - Selena Gomez

17. Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men

18. Do I Wanna Know? - Arctic Monkeys

19. Jack - Breach

20. F For You - Disclosure

21. Dancing In the Moonlight - Toploader

22. Reload (Vocal Version) [Radio Edit] - Sebastian Ingrosso, Tommy Trash & John Martin

23. It's Time - Imagine Dragons

24. Get Lucky (Radio Edit) [feat. Pharrell Williams] - Daft Punk

25. Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran) - Taylor Swift

26. The Other Side - Jason Derulo

27. Can't Hold Us (feat. Ray Dalton) - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

28. True Love (feat. Lily Allen) - P!nk

29. Take Back the Night - Justin Timberlake

30. Treasure - Bruno Mars

31. I Love It (feat. Charli XCX) [Clean Version] - Icona Pop

32. Black Skinhead - Kanye West

33. Crazy Kids (feat. will.i.am) - Ke$ha

34. La La La (feat. Sam Smith) - Naughty Boy

35. True Love (feat. Lily Allen) - P!nk

36. Walks Like Rihanna - The Wanted

37. Wild (feat. Big Sean & Dizzee Rascal) - Jessie J

38. Dear Darlin' - Olly Murs

39. Skinny Love - Birdy

40. Play Hard (feat. Ne-Yo & Akon) - David Guetta

Bubbling Under

42. You Know You Like It - AlunaGeorge

43. C O O L - Le Youth

98. Supersoaker - Kings of Leon

Sexxx

I'm surprised at Tinie underperforming. Then again, the song itself is quite lacklustre.

Archived