Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

An 80s J-Pop/City Pop Thread

juju

Featured Posts

juju

The 80s in Japan saw a time where the East found itself inspired by the West, and their music reflects that bold fusion between various genres both traditional and foreign. The sub-genre of city pop, particularly, embodied the thriving spirit of Tokyo at the time. As says Wikipedia: In the early 1980s, with the spread of car stereos, the term City Pop (シティーポップ Shitī Poppu) came to describe a type of popular music that had a big city theme. Tokyo in particular inspired many songs of this form. During this time, music fans and artists in Japan were influenced by album-oriented rock (especially Adult contemporary) and crossover (especially Jazz fusion).

Let's discuss and share favorite city pop/80s artists of Japan here. :excited2: 

Have to shout-out my two primary queens, firstly Anri. She's made several albums that I find flawless, and her voice is one of a kind - sultry, sweet, yet powerful. Favorite albums would be Timely!!, Heaven Beach, Coool, Bi Ki Ni, and Trouble in Paradise.

Next up, my queen Akina Nakamori. A powerhouse vocalist with a solid discography, not much more you can ask :tony:  Mi Amore is STILL that song!

I'll be sure to add more later :diane: 

Spoiler

we can also discuss 90s Japanese music, and older music like the 60s and 70s. Just nothing modern, and with a focus mainly on the 80s :lolly: 

❤ x ❤

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gia Gunn

The song that helped me relax when I was mad as hell :diane: 

juju

wow I wonder how long this masterpiece will remain on youtube, but! 

❤ x ❤

juju
14 minutes ago, Minish said:

11 hours ago, Gia Gunn said:

The song that helped me relax when I was mad as hell :diane: 

both bops :diane:

Here are some other favorites by artists that I generally enjoy:

And, technically this is 90s, but it's one of my favorite songs ever:

❤ x ❤

I just love 80s jpop, those songs are all bops and Tatsuro is an artist I'd love to see live one day. 

His english is also very good to the point it sounds native with his enunciation and pronouns. He only made one english album during the 80s called Big Wave and a song in english some time later.

juju
Just now, Minish said:

Big Wave :diane: one of the first I found on Youtube!

a lot of these artists are so underrated, this thread was a necessity. Thank you for additions, I'm always looking for new artists and bops so share as many as you know :diane: 

❤ x ❤

11 minutes ago, juju said:

Big Wave :diane: one of the first I found on Youtube!

a lot of these artists are so underrated, this thread was a necessity. Thank you for additions, I'm always looking for new artists and bops so share as many as you know :diane: 

No problem, I am also always on the search for new songs. 

RadioIsOurs
18 hours ago, juju said:

Have to shout-out my two primary queens, firstly Anri. She's made several albums that I find flawless, and her voice is one of a kind - sultry, sweet, yet powerful. Favorite albums would be Timely!!, Heaven Beach, Coool, Bi Ki Ni, and Trouble in Paradise.

Next up, my queen Akina Nakamori. A powerhouse vocalist with a solid discography, not much more you can ask :tony:  Mi Amore is STILL that song!

Both are my Kweens too! :diane::diane:

I also really love Chisato Moritaka.

I heard she produces and play drums on her own songs, so she's a TALENT! Also well known for her miniskirts and dancing.

And there's also Wink. 

They also did a cover of Kylie's song

RadioIsOurs

I also really like this Japanese cover of I Like Chopin, which is also one of my favourite 80s songs :diane:

Speaking of covers, I think this cover of Give Me Up by Babe is really cute too!

RadioIsOurs

And then there's Teresa Teng. I knew her as a Mandarin singer since my Chinese parents always listen to her ballads, but she's also extremely popular in Japan as a Japanese singer too!

I used to love listening to the chinese version of this song!

RadioIsOurs

The original video was taken down, but here's Kaoru Akimoto's Dress Down.

And more ANRI!

juju
3 hours ago, RainbowBlonde said:

If you look closely at this video you can see a shot of Akina sitting there not really giving a damn :sharon:

Though they sang together a few years later:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20454399

not you bringing the tea :toofunny: 

going to check all these recommendations out too! always room for more in my library :lolly: 

❤ x ❤

Archived