Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new video

Jay Z- The Story of O.J.

KyliesChild

Featured Posts

OBEY
6 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

don't want to be mean, but the lyrics... is this supposed to be hip hop?

is there other lyrics than the N word in this :selena: 

KyliesChild
9 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

don't want to be mean, but the lyrics... is this supposed to be hip hop?

We tend to, as black people—‘cause we never had anything, which is understandable—we get to a place and we just think we separate ourself from the culture. […] Like Tiger Woods will get to a space and think, “I’m above the culture,” you know, and that same person, when he’s playing golf and playing great, you’re protected, and when you’re not, they’re gonna picture you drunk driving and, like, embarrass you, and the world will eat you up and spit you out.

“Success is still in many ways a synonym for white, and once you attach successful to the black man, there’s a little key that’s been given to you that gives you access to the white world,” Noah said. “The key can be taken away. Cosby, Tiger etcetera. The key can be taken away, but at least you have a key for the time being.”

‘The Story of OJ’ is really a song about we as a culture, having a plan, how we’re gonna push this forward,” Mr. Carter said of the record. “We all make money, and then we all lose money, as artists especially. But how, when you have some type of success, to transform that into something bigger.”

KyliesChild

@Antichrist He sampled “Four Women" by Nina Simone and it the four characters represents an African-American stereotype in society. Thalami Davis of The Village Voice called the song "an instantly accessible analysis of the damning legacy of slavery, that made iconographic the real women we knew and would become."

Antichrist
3 minutes ago, Skai Jackson said:

We tend to, as black people—‘cause we never had anything, which is understandable—we get to a place and we just think we separate ourself from the culture. […] Like Tiger Woods will get to a space and think, “I’m above the culture,” you know, and that same person, when he’s playing golf and playing great, you’re protected, and when you’re not, they’re gonna picture you drunk driving and, like, embarrass you, and the world will eat you up and spit you out.

“Success is still in many ways a synonym for white, and once you attach successful to the black man, there’s a little key that’s been given to you that gives you access to the white world,” Noah said. “The key can be taken away. Cosby, Tiger etcetera. The key can be taken away, but at least you have a key for the time being.”

‘The Story of OJ’ is really a song about we as a culture, having a plan, how we’re gonna push this forward,” Mr. Carter said of the record. “We all make money, and then we all lose money, as artists especially. But how, when you have some type of success, to transform that into something bigger.”

i don't want to be rude & i don't know everything in the world there is to know, but how exactly does this apply to black people only? and for that matter, why must we constantly debate over races, when we're all human beings in the end ???

didn't say anything about the video though, i quite like it. thought there's this thing that's bugging me and don't get me wrong... i respect the history of all races & whatnot, but what will dwelling on the history & oppression of black people (in this case) achieve?

Spoiler

i hope you don't misunderstand this, don't mean anything bad with it, it's hard to word myself sometimes :sweat:

Lanius
7 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

i don't want to be rude & i don't know everything in the world there is to know, but how exactly does this apply to black people only? and for that matter, why must we constantly debate over races, when we're all human beings in the end ???

didn't say anything about the video though, i quite like it. thought there's this thing that's bugging me and don't get me wrong... i respect the history of all races & whatnot, but what will dwelling on the history & oppression of black people (in this case) achieve?

Hide contents

i hope you don't misunderstand this, don't mean anything bad with it, it's hard to word myself sometimes :sweat:

He's basically saying that just because you're rich, dating a white women and technically "made it" Doesn't mean you're immune to racism and prejudice. Oprah tried to buy a purse in a foreign country and some white lady wouldn't sell it to her because she was black. Oprah is ****ing Billionaire. Also, A tennis player was racially profiled by the police as a criminal and tackled to the ground just because he was black.

Being rich doesn't make you above white Supermacy.

And the reason we still talk about the Past is because it's still affecting our future. Black people are still being oppressed and discriminated against in our society.  Not only are the Police killing us. BUT blacks are being discriminated against social economical. Look up White flight.

There's also companies who are still benefiting off slavery till this day. The civil rights era was less than 50 ****ing years ago. That's our parents generation. Less than fifty ****ing years Black people were considered second class citzens. Clearly 400+ years of slavery and oppression isn't going to fixed in 50 years.

KyliesChild
19 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

Reveal hidden contents

In the ESPN documentary part one of “O.J. Made in America,” the football Hall of Famer — best known for his 1995 murder trial — wasn’t interested when Muhammad Ali and Jim Brown got involved in making political change and others pushed for a boycott of the 1968 Olympics, Simpson was reportedly pressured by his friend to “take a stand” along with other black Olympic athletes he said, “I’m not black,” he added. “I’m O.J.” The allusion to Simone’s four women in the chorus suggests that regardless of whether one is wealthy or poor, light skinned or dark, one’s blackness is a more relevant marker in a racist society. It is about the deceitfulness of others and how practically nobody can get away with it—even if they become successful however that can also be revoked. Jay-Z isn't debating about race at all, but is saying his standpoints of what he's seen as there are divisions even in the black community which is what the chorus is about. 

“We all make money, and then we all lose money, as artists especially. But how, when you have some type of success, to transform that into something bigger.”

KyliesChild
18 minutes ago, Lanius said:

He's basically saying that just because you're rich, dating a white women and technically "made it" Doesn't mean you're immune to racism and prejudice. Oprah tried to buy a purse in a foreign country and some white lady wouldn't sell it to her because she was black. Oprah is ****ing Billionaire. Also, A tennis player was racially profiled by the police as a criminal and tackled to the ground just because he was black.

Being rich doesn't make you above white Supermacy.

And the reason we still talk about the Past is because it's still affecting our future. Black people are still being oppressed and discriminated against in our society.  Not only are the Police killing us. BUT blacks are being discriminated against social economical. Look up White flight.

There's also companies who are still benefiting off slavery till this day. The civil rights era was less than 50 ****ing years ago. That's our parents generation. Less than fifty ****ing years Black people were considered second class citzens. Clearly 400+ years of slavery and oppression isn't going to fixed in 50 years.

I loved that you used this example so much. The way that she got on that stage and explained the situation was so funny. “You know what, I didn't even want that purse anyways I wanted the one with the LVs on it" :sharon:

Slavery is still prevalent economically and it's awful how many users on this site go to H&M and Zara and don't realize the inhumane industry that they are supporting. 

Morphine Prince

The scene at 3:48 with the white boy smiling as the black man has just been lynched is disturbing. 

This actually happened. Google the picture. 

weed

I think it's a really good video

I was never very educated on the history of racism in america but I'm slowly learning more and more and it's really crazy and sickening to think about the things that were happening not even 100 years ago.

Lanius
58 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

The scene at 3:48 with the white boy smiling as the black man has just been lynched is disturbing. 

This actually happened. Google the picture. 

YIKES! mind you this **** happened less than 50 years ago

Glittertinks

Oh I like that video (also because like, I just love animation so much)!

I really like how they caught the feeling of the early cartoons and how well it fits the song. This is super powerful if you ask me. This deserves so much attention! :golfclap:

Also, if you wanna read a bit more about the Cartoon Background of that music video, Cartoon Brew wrote a nice & interesting article about that.

Archived