💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

The Chainsmokers hits 1B Spotify Streams.

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

venusfly
1 hour ago, ShockPop said:

Why is streaming held in such high regard? With things like preprogrammed play lists and play lists for certain situations, it's not an accurate way to measure a songs success.

For example, Adele's lead was 1000x more popular than "closer" but the replay value isn't there because it's not background noise, it has substance.

If you buy a song you clearly like it more than streaming.

They're rewarding artists for creating music you can listen to without noticing. That's a huge problem.

People simply don't buy music they like anymore, the vast majority of iTunes sales come from fan bases essentially competing against each other. It's difficult to measure how popular songs are and they don't have it right yet but streaming is the correct metric to figure out.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Admin
Just now, Dorothy Gale said:

I don't think radio should be apart of the charts either, that started in the 90s, right? Their domination at #1 wouldn't have lasted as long.

I disagree with you here. Everything should count towards the Hot 100 because it measures a song's popularity, not sales. I have never voluntarily listened to a Chainsmokers song let alone bought one, but it's pretty ridiculous to deny that their recent singles are everywhere.

Dorothy Gale
Just now, venusfly said:

People simply don't buy music they like anymore, the vast majority of iTunes sales come from fan bases essentially competing against each other. It's difficult to measure how popular songs are and they don't have it right yet but streaming is the correct metric to figure out.

No, gays are still dedicated music buyers, so we're not valued by billboard. They want straights to get music for free and control the charts. 

Dorothy Gale
Just now, Admin said:

I disagree with you here. Everything should count towards the Hot 100 because it measures a song's popularity, not sales. I have never voluntarily listened to a Chainsmokers song let alone bought one, but it's pretty ridiculous to deny that their recent singles are everywhere.

Nope, a viral video or 30 second streams shouldn't count. 

Admin
Just now, Dorothy Gale said:

Nope, a viral video or 30 second streams shouldn't count. 

Not counting a song featured in a popular video in a chart that measures a song's popularity. Makes sense.

leecy

you know not all people are musicians, but everyone can listen to music, basic people are way more than people who know music, this explains why talented musicians are ALWAYS less popular than the basic performers, cause basic performers make music for the mass basic audience

Dorothy Gale
7 minutes ago, Admin said:

Not counting a song featured in a popular video in a chart that measures a song's popularity. Makes sense.

Eh, music isn't consumed the same anymore. Why judge it all the same? 

Taylor Z

You can thank my friend last night. We went out last night and had it playing 😂 I have never even heard the song before! (I don't listen to radio, watch much TV or have any streaming services)

como estas

ShockPop
1 hour ago, Admin said:

The same can be said about radio and it's been a part of the Hot 100 for decades.

Also, let's not act like The Chainsmokers aren't massive on iTunes as well, and even if streaming didn't exist they would still be dominating sales and radio.

The problem is less about chainsmokers and more about the industry.

Love on the brain and water under the bridge are 2 examples of radio, too.

The songs did nothing at all except get pumped on radio and average streams and lotb was a top 10 through what can only be described as radio's manipulation of charts.

Fair enough alot is requests so should be counted but it should be minimal, not able to change the entire chart.

70% sales

15% Radio

15% streaming

Would be perfect. If requests or streams are high then it can make a significant impact but listening in the background to a song you don't care about should not increase its chart position.

Admin
9 minutes ago, ShockPop said:

listening in the background to a song you don't care about should not increase its chart position.

It totally should.

Billboard Hot 100 =/= a chart of songs people like

Billboard Hot 100 = a chart reflecting a song's popularity. I don't care about Shape of You, or Closer, or pretty much every other recent number one song, but it doesn't mean that the fact that I still hear those everywhere I go shouldn't contribute to their chart position.

Also, 70% sales is absolutely ridiculous considering that songs sell almost nothing these days. iTunes will be shut down soon anyway and it will be 0%.

I'm still so surprised by how many people are denying that streaming is the future. It's like "Digital album sales shouldn't count, only CDs" all over again.

ShockPop
1 minute ago, Admin said:

It totally should.

Billboard Hot 100 =/= a chart of songs people like

Billboard Hot 100 = a chart reflecting a song's popularity. I don't care about Shape of You, or Closer, or pretty much every other recent number one song, but it doesn't mean that the fact that I still hear those everywhere I go shouldn't contribute to its chart position.

Also, 70% sales is absolutely ridiculous considering that songs sell almost nothing these days. iTunes will be shut down soon.

I'm still so surprised by how many people are denying that streaming is the future. It's like "Digital album sales shouldn't count, only CDs" all over again.

It's not like digital vs cds. Streaming isn't accessible for 100% of the market just yet.

The fact that you can dislike a song and contribute to its success on the chart is the problem. It makes the hot 100 inaccurate as a measure of popularity.

GypsyBabe
6 hours ago, ShockPop said:

They're rewarding artists for creating music you can listen to without noticing. That's a huge problem.

This. :worship2:

⚯͛

moonpig8400

sex sells i find that chainsmokers guy really hot for some reason lol and his singing voice so sexy

Archived