💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The future of pop music: No more female artists?

Korok

Featured Posts

The Child
10 hours ago, ryhanna said:

Young straight men don't listen to Ed Sheeran 

10 hours ago, Dorothy Gale said:

They don't? I think he appeals to women and men of the heterosexual persuasion. 

BUT WHO LISTENS TO ED SHEERAN? :air:

9 hours ago, Alan123 said:

Love On The Brain is actually a good song though, at least to me it is, I think it's one of Rihanna's best songs. And I saw a lot of people become a fan of it once they listened to it. Was it radio payola? Who knows but I don't think Rihanna needed that, she had more than enough success in 2016.

Edit: Has there been a year dominated by women though ? It's mostly half and half and most of what you hear on the radio are songs featuring another artist.

Where were you in 2011? That year was dominated by females such as Katy, Gaga, Kesha, Jlo, Britney and others.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cody Draco

When I tune into the pop radio here in Orlando I hear an even mix of male and female artists. Just because a song is in the Top 10 on Billboard doesn't mean it's actually being played on pop stations. Most rap/hip-hop songs don't cross over actually (in my experience). 

What bothers me the most is how repetitive radio stations are. I don't want to hear the same handful of Maroon 5 songs over and over in my travels on my days off.  :saladga:

XMonsterMonster

No more female artists? Just wait for the new Adele or Beyonce album. :giggle:

Morphine Prince
7 hours ago, Dorothy Gale said:

Things are never as simple as that though. Music trends are influenced by cultural trends. I think men are desperately clinging to their masculinity in today's age and rap has taken prominence, and rap encourages overcompensation of masculinity. I love rap, but latching onto the most superficial elements of rap music shows that men feel emasculated. I'm looking at this from an American perspective. Guys who aren't comfortable in their masculinity would never listen to a Gaga, Madonna or Kylie Minogue. 

A large portion of men have always been like that. 

Why did rap/hip-hop lose a bit of relevance and Pop stars like Gaga rose? 

I'd say people get bored of the same thing and gravitate towards a different sound. 

Soon female Pop stars will resurface. 

Morphine Prince
7 hours ago, Korok said:

Okay, well, that's your take on it. You shouldn't laugh or mock at someone else's take on things because you don't agree with it. I never claimed that pop music is over, the focus was on female artists. Also, I never demonized this new trend nor did I claim that female pop music was superior. 

And you're still missing the point. We know people like these artists already, we established that several pages ago. Explain to me why they like these artists.

I won't pretend to psychoanalyze people to explain their music choice but all I can think of is that music trends change and the sound of NOW is what people are gravitating towards. It has always been that way. Until a new wave of sound comes in. 

I can explain to you why I like certain songs and artists that are on top now if you'd like though. 

The answer is much more simple. 

babyboo
11 hours ago, HOTNGaga said:

Y'all are as fragile with listening to male artists as straight guys are with listening to female artist :toofunny:

Reading all these excuses/responses in this thread so far has given me a good laugh. What's popular is popular because it's popular. There's no ifs or becauses... you guys are over complicating things. :laughga:

um.. except it is true? i listen to male and female artists but there is this certain disdain with liking powerful female artists. nobody likes strong female pop star anymore, while strong male artists still have huge demand.

my take is guys are probably intimidated by a powerful woman figure (seeing now there's a serious opposition to feminism by guys) and girls are just following the guys, and there's also this trend where liking what guys like are what considered as 'cool' nowadays to girls. so yeah :saladga:

lost in limbo

I have my hopes set for 2018 or the end of this year. It happens every 10 years, a female singer comes to resurrect pop music and female artists since Britney Spears (1998\99), Gaga in 2008, and a new pop singer in 2018.

Rihanna is the only artist who survives between all that, and even so, she struggles once in a while, thatŽs why thereŽs collaborations with Calvin Harris, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, etc...

Spoiler

My biggest fear is what will happen if our 3rd coming of Pop doesnŽt show up... 

this is the state of grace, this is the worthwhile fight

babyboo

tl;dr: i think the key is strong female stars are unwanted nowadays, since there is this backlash against femininity in a way, so female stars can only be successful these days if they're being neutral/not being too outside of the box, as conservative is in rn. which is a total shame bc it's limiting their ability to create and thrive.

SlaeUrAnus
12 hours ago, Dorothy Gale said:

Madonna could release another Hung Up and it would probably flop due to sexism and ageism today. The Cure would've probably been a top 15 hit pretty easily if it was a Chainsmokers song featuring Gaga. DJs and rappers are the monsters of the industry today. Labels don't want to invest in creating a legitimate star because it's not worth it anymore, you'll never make back money off a few viral hits.

Sis you are spilling the tea today 

In my messy era.

Morphine Prince

Anyone here happy with the current songs on top? 

I like many of them and it's refreshing for the charts to change imo. 

How boring it would be to have Rihanna, Katy, Gaga, Britney, on top all the time...

not to mention they all took long breaks so they left the scene and let newer artists gain prominence.

Then we have the men who were on breaks who came back like Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran (shorter break) 

The Weeknd became mainstream, the best thing to happen to music in recent years imo

The Chainsmokers broke through and I like their simple, easy to digest EDM :shrug: 

I don't think people think too much about the music they listen to. 

lost in limbo
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

I don't think people think too much about the music they listen to. 

ThatÂŽs why trash music is on top, because nobody thinks about it.

Music has literally no meaning today, besides ÂŽÂŽI wanna f*ck you, oh yeah, babyÂŽÂŽthat is either thrown on your face or hidden by metaphors.

Morphine Prince
3 minutes ago, bloodymario said:

ThatÂŽs why trash music is on top, because nobody thinks about it.

Music has literally no meaning today, besides ÂŽÂŽI wanna f*ck you, oh yeah, babyÂŽÂŽthat is either thrown on your face or hidden by metaphors.

That has been Pop music for a long time. 

Including female Pop stars. 

lost in limbo
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

That has been Pop music for a long time. 

Including female Pop stars. 

Some of them, yes, but they just didnŽt talk about sex, there were other topics. Now, everywhere turn, most is s*x or parties. 

Morphine Prince
Just now, bloodymario said:

Some of them, yes, but they just didnŽt talk about sex, there were other topics. Now, everywhere turn, most is s*x or parties. 

There are many songs now with diverse meanings though. Not all is about sex either. 

StarstruckIllusion
12 hours ago, Uyimermaid said:

just wait for riri....

We aren't. Beyoncé and Rihanna don't count as they have ditched their pop music for hiphop ****. 

Archived