💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Interscope is weird

Impostor

Featured Posts

Impostor

So apparently everyone have already noticed how messy labels can be, especially when they push the artist too much and try to put them in a box. Have you ever thought that Gaga's singles changes were probably Interscope's fault, and not Gaga's fault at all? People usually blame everything on Gaga and her team but I don't think that's how it works.

So I was reading the Wikipedia's page about Broke With Expensive Taste and I read that:

"In 2011, it was reported that Banks was working on a studio album with British producer Paul Epworth despite not having signed to a particular record label at that time. In January 2012, Banks signed a record deal with Interscope and Polydor Records to work on her album, and a month later, she announced the title of the album—Broke with Expensive Taste. Approximately a year later, she handed a complete album in to the labels. Banks initially thought that the album would receive favorable reception from the labels; however, the representatives told Banks that she had not recorded a "hit" single for the album. She consequently recorded a song called "Chasing Time" for the project, yet the label denied the track and forced Banks to choose "Soda" as the lead single, which made Banks become incredulous. Ultimately, Banks ended the record deal with Interscope/Polydor in July 2014. She later approached Jeff Kwatinetz and signed a contract with his company, Prospect Park. She reveals her dissatisfaction to Rolling Stone,

I just spent a whole 'nother ****in' four months in the studio trying to come up with some ****, and you want to go with ****in' 'Soda'? I really just lost it. That was the day you saw me on Twitter, like, 'The ****? I'm tired of talking to these white guys about my ****.' It felt like they were playing some sort of head game. And you know I love conspiracy theories. I was like, 'They're trying to brainwash me! **** these guys!'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broke_with_Expensive_Taste

So it seems like the Interscope people don't really care about the artist's opinion. They just want a hit and they will change the entire course of the album to make a hit. Am I wrong?

We can also analyse how Interscope dealt with Ultraviolence:

"Lana Del Rey's new album, Ultraviolence, qualifies as a radical statement from a pop star in 2014 – it's mostly produced by Black Keys frontman Dan Auerbach, who relies on electric guitar and other live instruments, and none of its eleven tracks sound much like a potential radio hit. And as Auerbach reveals in Rolling Stone's new Del Rey cover story, her major labels (Interscope and the U.K.'s Polydor) were initially resistant to the idea of releasing it.

"There was a lot of bullshit I'm not used to," Auerbach tells senior writer Brian Hiatt. "The label says, 'We're not going to give you the budget to extend this session unless we hear something.' And we send them the rough mix and they ****ing hate it and they hate the way it's mixed. And it's like, 'Thanks, asshole.'… I think Lana put her foot down. Maybe it's normal for her, but it's not normal for me.  Really rubbed me the wrong way.  I got really defensive because I thought it was bullshit.

"The story I got told," he continues, "is that they played it for her label person and they said, "We're not putting out this record that you and Dan made unless you meet with the Adele producer. And she said, 'Fine, whatever.' And she was late to the meeting, so while they were waiting, the label guy played what we recorded for the Adele producer and he said, 'This is amazing, I wouldn't do anything to change this.' And here's the kicker: Then all of a sudden, the label guy said, 'Well, yeah, I think it's great, too.'"

Del Rey acknowledges a six-week period this past spring when Ultraviolence was in limbo. "I mean, I think there were people they wanted me to work with," she says. "I don't know who they were. When I said I was ready, they were like, 'Are you sure?'" She laughs. "'Because I feel like you could go further.'"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-lana-del-rey-fought-to-get-her-radical-ultraviolence-lp-released-20140718

So I just think it's a game they want the artist to play. The ones who don't agree will end up like Azealia. The ones who agree to change are forced to do a lot of things that will actually go against their own style (sounds familiar?).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sipthistea

They're messy, but I think RCA is worse than Interscope. I can see many fans from artists signed to RCA complaining because of how messy they are. 

The same with Roc Nation.

lifeasgeorge
2 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

They're messy, but I think RCA is worse than Interscope. I can see many fans from artists signed to RCA complaining because of how messy they are. 

The same with Roc Nation.

2 minutes ago, JoanneActII said:

Same :saladga:

I want her to go to Capitol or Republic :duck:

live and let live

Gaga should go indie, honestly. Interscope has changed. Def Nation kind of already turned her down, and I can't imagine anyone else giving her the control she desperately wants.

GGDisbetter

M.I.A. is also under interscope and Both 'Matangi' (which is amazing) and 'A.I.M.' were both delayed HEAPS and she threatened to leak them to get them out. Matangi was going to be released December 2012 - it was released November 2013. As for A.I.M. it was originally going to be released as "MATAHDATAH" a visual album with videos from all around the world. It was then changed to 'A.I.M.' and had 20 songs. Delayed and shortened to 12/17 tracks (standard/deluxe) for July, was finally released september. She ultimately gave up and considers it her last album.

Reality
Just now, AntiPotCrusader said:

Interscope: Soda and Perfect Illusion are lead single material. 

Everyone: :awkney:

I thought Perfect Illusion was perfect lead single material :awkney:

The promo was just messy, though :awkney:

🃏🖤👹

CookieHWilson
11 minutes ago, KleinKnight said:

So apparently everyone have already noticed how messy labels can be, especially when they push the artist too much and try to put them in a box. Have you ever thought that Gaga's singles changes were probably Interscope's fault, and not Gaga's fault at all? People usually blame everything on Gaga and her team but I don't think that's how it works.

So I was reading the Wikipedia's page about Broke With Expensive Taste and I read that:

"In 2011, it was reported that Banks was working on a studio album with British producer Paul Epworth despite not having signed to a particular record label at that time. In January 2012, Banks signed a record deal with Interscope and Polydor Records to work on her album, and a month later, she announced the title of the album—Broke with Expensive Taste. Approximately a year later, she handed a complete album in to the labels. Banks initially thought that the album would receive favorable reception from the labels; however, the representatives told Banks that she had not recorded a "hit" single for the album. She consequently recorded a song called "Chasing Time" for the project, yet the label denied the track and forced Banks to choose "Soda" as the lead single, which made Banks become incredulous. Ultimately, Banks ended the record deal with Interscope/Polydor in July 2014. She later approached Jeff Kwatinetz and signed a contract with his company, Prospect Park. She reveals her dissatisfaction to Rolling Stone,

I just spent a whole 'nother ****in' four months in the studio trying to come up with some ****, and you want to go with ****in' 'Soda'? I really just lost it. That was the day you saw me on Twitter, like, 'The ****? I'm tired of talking to these white guys about my ****.' It felt like they were playing some sort of head game. And you know I love conspiracy theories. I was like, 'They're trying to brainwash me! **** these guys!'"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broke_with_Expensive_Taste

So it seems like the Interscope people don't really care about the artist's opinion. They just want a hit and they will change the entire course of the album to make a hit. Am I wrong?

We can also analyse how Interscope dealt with Ultraviolence:

"Lana Del Rey's new album, Ultraviolence, qualifies as a radical statement from a pop star in 2014 – it's mostly produced by Black Keys frontman Dan Auerbach, who relies on electric guitar and other live instruments, and none of its eleven tracks sound much like a potential radio hit. And as Auerbach reveals in Rolling Stone's new Del Rey cover story, her major labels (Interscope and the U.K.'s Polydor) were initially resistant to the idea of releasing it.

"There was a lot of bullshit I'm not used to," Auerbach tells senior writer Brian Hiatt. "The label says, 'We're not going to give you the budget to extend this session unless we hear something.' And we send them the rough mix and they ****ing hate it and they hate the way it's mixed. And it's like, 'Thanks, asshole.'… I think Lana put her foot down. Maybe it's normal for her, but it's not normal for me.  Really rubbed me the wrong way.  I got really defensive because I thought it was bullshit.

"The story I got told," he continues, "is that they played it for her label person and they said, "We're not putting out this record that you and Dan made unless you meet with the Adele producer. And she said, 'Fine, whatever.' And she was late to the meeting, so while they were waiting, the label guy played what we recorded for the Adele producer and he said, 'This is amazing, I wouldn't do anything to change this.' And here's the kicker: Then all of a sudden, the label guy said, 'Well, yeah, I think it's great, too.'"

Del Rey acknowledges a six-week period this past spring when Ultraviolence was in limbo. "I mean, I think there were people they wanted me to work with," she says. "I don't know who they were. When I said I was ready, they were like, 'Are you sure?'" She laughs. "'Because I feel like you could go further.'"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-lana-del-rey-fought-to-get-her-radical-ultraviolence-lp-released-20140718

So I just think it's a game they want the artist to play. The ones who don't agree will end up like Azealia. The ones who agree to change are forced to do a lot of things that will actually go against their own style (sounds familiar?).

Great post. This is the undeniable truth. Artists are owned by labels that need to maximize profits.
Gaga too said that she doesnt choose her singles. And yeah for a conceptual albums' artist this can **** up the entire records' course. If Interscope was not there, Gaga's music would be less adulterated and edgier I guess. See Aura as a single, see Sheisse as a single, see HML see AP see MJH see GH and so on.

Insta: pierfedericomiozzo

Impostor
1 minute ago, JoanneActII said:

M.I.A. is also under interscope and Both 'Matangi' (which is amazing) and 'A.I.M.' were both delayed HEAPS and she threatened to leak them to get them out. Matangi was going to be released December 2012 - it was released November 2013. As for A.I.M. it was originally going to be released as "MATAHDATAH" a visual album with videos from all around the world. It was then changed to 'A.I.M.' and had 20 songs. Delayed and shortened to 12/17 tracks (standard/deluxe) for July, was finally september. She ultimately gave up and considers it her last album.

It's really bad that they would put such a creative artist like M.I.A in limbo.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived