Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Mariah Carey Was Madonna's Biggest Threat of Her Career?

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

artRaver
On December 22, 2016 at 0:30 PM, UK Monster said:

A

I dont even know a Mariah song she has like one hit song that has had a legacy

How old are you and what music do you typically listen because only a dodo bird would make this statement and be legitimately serious about it. 

ec6ef186f6780ff0bcd47c0b2792b8.jpg

✿ cherry blossom girl ✿

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ooolong
On 12/22/2016 at 9:43 AM, jojuun said:

While I love Mariah and her diva antics, let's face it...

Madonna has impacted culture. Madonna set a standard, a blue-print. Mariah is an R&B diva. Mariah wears glamorous gowns with 90 pounds of weave in her hair and sings a beautiful song and that's it. Madonna is an all-around entertainer. The most choreo we've ever gotten out of Mariah was that two-step thing in the Honey video and she couldn't even hit that in sync with the dancers when she did it live.

Mariah has had an incredible run in the charts back then, true. But she has never sold concert tickets the way Madonna has. Not during her peak, not before and definitely not after. 

And as much as Mariah's team likes to lie by introducing her as "the highest selling female of all time"... It's simply not true. Nielsen Soundscan, Billboard AND Guinness World Records all confirm Madonna is way ahead. In fact, Mariah isn't even in the top 3. Nana Mouskouri and Celine are #2 and #3 respectively. Mariah is #4.

Mariah was never a "threat". When Mariah was singing love songs, Madonna was making videos that, to this day, are being played in museums. If Madonna was interested in taking Mariah on chart-wise, she would've made albums full of Take A Bow's. It's probably Madonna most radio-friendly song of the nineties and it was a MAJOR chart success. All of her other stuff was conceptual and not GP-friendly.

There is NO comparison. Madonna is a performance artist who makes albums in order to perform them live, Mariah is a very talented vocalist that focusses on those vocals. Apples and oranges.

If I'm not mistaken, the OP is discussing "threat" in terms of chart success, which yes, Mariah was the biggest threat to Madonna, that's a fact. 

Also, I'd much appreciate it if you, along with other members here, stopped diminishing Mariah's impact, honestly, and truly. You diminishing Mariah's legacy to "love songs" and "diva antics" is inaccurate. Especially considering most of Madonna's writing has also been focused on the subject of love, and she is also known to be quite the diva. Also, Mariah has set just as large of a blue print as Madonna, just in different categories. Many modern day vocalists have credited Mariah's technique, styling, and use of vocal acrobatics as their vocal inspirations, even Gaga herself has mentioned her. Mariah practically brought the widespread use of vocal acrobatics to the mainstream, for better or worse.

I could easily diminish Madonna's legacy to sex appeal and controversy, but that's not accurate either. 

Lastly, what honestly went through your mind when you wrote, "Mariah wears glamorous gowns with 90 pounds of weave in her hair and sings a beautiful song and that's it"? :nails:

The Unbannable Chanteuse

Lona Delery
On 22.12.2016 at 8:30 PM, UK Monster said:

A

I dont even know a Mariah song she has like one hit song that has had a legacy

lmfao

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

26 minutes ago, artRaver said:

How old are you and what music do you typically listen because only a dodo bird would make this statement and be legitimately serious about it. 

ec6ef186f6780ff0bcd47c0b2792b8.jpg

KING

Now thats a drag

ItsTommyBitch
1 hour ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

ugh go away. Your the one viewing the post this way. That' not why i wrote it

I understand that wasn''t your intention, I'm merely reacting to how a lot of the people posting took it...

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

2 hours ago, artRaver said:

she isn't famous here and I'm 18

artRaver
1 hour ago, UK Monster said:

Last time I knew she was pretty well known in the United Kingdom as well, but I'm not going to touch up on that. I'm only 21 so I'm not too much older than you and even I won't deny her impact and legacy.  :wacko:

5ML7O.gif

✿ cherry blossom girl ✿

It's almost the wrong forum to ask. Mariah crossed out of the gay scene whereas Madonna is very much the "gay act". 

Asking a board full of homos won't give you a fair picture. 

Thats why I'm somewhat grateful for Joanne. It's her first branching away from the gays. 

Serendipity
19 hours ago, UK Monster said:

um, she's #1 on Spotify atm in YOUR country...

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

dlioncourt91
On 12/23/2016 at 4:46 AM, T E Anne said:

how things have changed. :diane:

Cher still supports Madonna. She just has admitted to always taking jabs as she always done. Cher does it practically to anyone and her humor as always been that way.

On 12/22/2016 at 8:34 PM, lego said:

These 2 look photoshopped tbh. :huh: 

Courtney, Tina and M all did a photoshoot together. It's real.

I think Grace and M is real. If not, they have met many times before (Sex Book release party for one.)

dlioncourt91

What are the points to these type of threads? 

You're basically asking instead of a proper comparison/discussion for a mess of a thread. You're going to get people who either diehard fans of the either insulting one another, rants about feminism and how the other isn't one, Monsters with axe's to grind over EY/BTW or people just going off topic for the hate for the other which isn't an actual discussion.

Madonna set the blueprint for every woman to follow in the pop music industry and how to survive by constantly changing up as times and music styles change. Aside from that, she's provided numerous hits, brilliant tours, and continues pushing onward despite hits/misses with new material rather than calling it quits. No one can deny her star power, influence or that fact she is indeed a misunderstood, underappreciated legend in the music industry.

Mariah is a talent as well. She's got an amazing voice that has been applauded throughout her career, she's proven she can be a capable actress and she's been another female act who has transformed herself throughout the years and given a vast catalog of good music and hit singles

Madonna's star power took a huge hit in 92' over the Erotica/Sex/Body of Evidence controversy so of course despite this, she still managed to have some success with her following record Bedtime Stories (Secret, Take a Bow (#1) and landing Evita) however Mariah was definitely on a rise and scoring hits compared to Madonna who didn't hit her second huge commercial peak until Ray of Light/Music. 

Archived