💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
sales

Why are music sales so low?

Modern Ecstacy

Featured Posts

Modern Ecstacy

So I was scrolling through Instagram when I came upon Nicki Minaj's Instagram post. She was celebrating 6 years of "The Pink Friday" and apparently it sold 375k in its first week? I was shook! Did she really sell that much with her debut album?! So I looked it up and it is true. Therefore I decided to look into first week sales of some of the top 2010 albums:

Thank Me Later- Drake: 447k

Raymond v. Raymond- Usher: 329k

Recovery- Eminem: 741k

My World 2.0- Justin Bieber: 283k

Speak Now- Taylor Swift: 1M  (how does this girl sell so much?!)

Surprisingly, the pop girls who were having huge hit singles on the hot 100 back then sold really low (how did Nicki outsell these pop girls tho?)

Teenage Dream- Katy Perry: 192k

Animal- Ke$ha: 152k 

Loud- Rihanna: 207k

Anyway, what the point I'm making is that general sales back in 2010 were a lot higher than they are in 2016. Sure, a lot of artists are selling more now than 2010 because they've become bigger (Prime Example- Drake) but an average album selling 300k to 400k in 2016 is a big deal. So my question is why is this happening? Is it because of streaming services and people wanting to stream an album rather than buy a physical copy as it's more convenient? Is it due to illegal downloading of albums from the internet (this existed back in 2010 too though)? Let me know!

sipthistea

Yes, Streaming.

People don't buy music as they used to.

The bad news is that people like The Chainsmokers can get a #1 record thanks to streaming. 

An album: 10 dollars

A song: 1 dollar

An streaming account: free (with ads)

Illegal download: free

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Modern Ecstacy
8 minutes ago, sipthistea said:

Yes, Streaming.

People don't buy music as they used to.

The bad news is that people like The Chainsmokers can get a #1 record thanks to streaming. 

8 minutes ago, thierryrreiht said:

Streaming

/thread

1 minute ago, Red said:

An streaming account: free (with ads)

That makes sense but didn't streaming exist back in 2010 too? Why is streaming "the big popular thing" now?

Just now, Modern Ecstacy said:

That makes sense but didn't streaming exist back in 2010 too? Why is streaming "the big popular thing" now?

Because there is more music available now and the price is lower

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

thierryrreiht
4 minutes ago, Modern Ecstacy said:

Now everyone has a smartphone. Services like Netflix made it clear that people wanted access to anything at anytime. Happened with TV and movies, and music is now the same. People nowadays want to tap at a button and have access to it all. 

Also they prefer paying $10 per month than $15 per CD..

Artists and record labels aren't really profiting enough at streaming and it sucks since it's taking over physical CD sales. Touring is still profitable, but very few artists (usually the old ones) are successful at it.

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

donutellha

The rise of streaming and a crippling economy :sis: 

Walk down the runway but don't puke, it's okay. You just had 10 donuts today. Without frosting.

thierryrreiht

I don't give a f*ck; if it's available here I'll go buy the CD. Even if I have Apple Music or Spotify. I give an album sale and I stream it on my phone. Double artist win.

venusfly
23 minutes ago, Modern Ecstacy said:

Music wasn't widely available on streaming apps like it is today. In 2014 Spotify pushed around 200 million streams a week, that figure is now around 1 billion.

All major labels now send their music to streaming sites and it's now more affordable. There's now no reason to buy music directly, I know I don't. 

The popularity of music hasn't wavered, just how it's consumed, it's relatively new so how streams are converted into sales is still being figured out. 

Sepsami
14 minutes ago, AURA said:

Gaga cursed the music industry when ARTPOP flopped

Lord patience please stop saying it flopped, yall dont know the meaning of a flop 

Archived