💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga and the GP

Ronk

Featured Posts

In the car today I was listening to a station that played songs from when I was in HS.   It occurred to me that these are the greatest songs ever written.  It also occurred to me that I have that same thought every time I hear those songs.  Each generation has those feelings; the songs we heard in HS, give or take a few years, will forever be the songs dearest to out heart.  VH1 touched on this with the show "My Generation", hosted by Peter Noone.

While Gaga captures some of the GP with C2C and Sound Of Music, her pop music will never replace the songs each generation grew up with and loved when they were younger.  To each generation, those are the greatest songs, even though the current generation may consider them dated, generic, and basic.

I think this is a partial explanation of why Gaga has a tough time breaking through to the GP.  It's a matter of acquired taste and nostalgia.  I still think she will continue to be a massive success going forward, and I'm very happy about that.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Katsuki Bakugo
2 minutes ago, Ronk said:

It occurred to me that these are the greatest songs ever written. 

Stopped reading here. 

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Poker Face and Bad Romance (and possibly Born This Way) will indeed be remembered by many 20 years from now and be seen as some people's favourite songs, giving them the early-century nostalgia.

I think the biggest effect is for when you're 4-8 years old and don't really know what songs are playing. All songs that were popular back then or that my father played to me at that age are some of my favourite songs right now. Just because it's what I grew up with.

KyliesChild
2 minutes ago, Mecha Raja said:

Stopped reading here. 

It's because of the personal connection felt while listening to it—nostalgia plays a factor when listening to the songs again. 

Squeeshy Keety
On 11/6/2016 at 7:21 PM, djBuffoon said:

"Tale as old as time

Song as old as rhyme

Gaga and the GP..."

It sure as hell don't rhyme
But it's as good as, good as, good as, good as gold

They / Them 🏳️‍🌈

PunkTheFunk
12 minutes ago, Ronk said:

In the car today I was listening to a station that played songs from when I was in HS.   It occurred to me that these are the greatest songs ever written. 

Unless you were in highschool during the 1960s/70s, I don't know how this can be true :laughga:

I hate to be that guy but mainstream music for the past 20 or so years has been generic and basic. I can feel warm and nostalgic about "TiK ToK" and "I Gotta Feeling" but deep down I know they're trash :madge: 

1 minute ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Unless you were in highschool during the 1960s/70s, I don't know how this can be true :laughga:

I hate to be that guy but mainstream music for the past 20 or so years has been generic and basic. I can feel warm and nostalgic about "TiK ToK" and "I Gotta Feeling" but deep down I know they're trash :madge: 

I graduated from HS in 1962.  The soundtrack of the movie American Graffiti are the songs of my generation.  There are 41 songs in that movie, by almost as many artists.  Perhaps that is a difference between then and now.  We didn't follow artists, we listened to individual songs by a huge number of artists.

My father was a jazz musician.  Once when he heard me listening to rock music he wondered how I could listen to such terrible music.  All my friends were into rock.  My father's generation was into jazz and show music.  It's a generational thing.

27 minutes ago, Skai Jackson said:

It's because of the personal connection felt while listening to it—nostalgia plays a factor when listening to the songs again. 

This is exactly it.

Katsuki Bakugo
22 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

my point exactly. 

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

40 minutes ago, Mecha Raja said:

Stopped reading here. 

Instead of my wordy OP, I should have just said:

Many of the GP are older than most pop fans, and they're already into what they're into.  It's difficult for any pop artist to change that, but they don't need to.  They do very well with the fan bases they have.

Katsuki Bakugo
10 minutes ago, Ronk said:

Instead of my wordy OP, I should have just said:

Many of the GP are older than most pop fans, and they're already into what they're into.  It's difficult for any pop artist to change that, but they don't need to.  They do very well with the fan bases they have.

perhaps. But calling it the best music ever written is a widely exaggerated and false statement. 

I think it is unfair to say that only 8 years out, especially because I happen to understand that a lot of people feel a connection not only with Poker Face and Bad Romance, but Paparazzi too, and even Alejandro, and Judas., and TEOG, and Just Dance. When people hear these songs in another 10 years, they won't be thinking "does this song take me back?" They'll just be taken back, because that's what the music does on its own.

8 minutes ago, Mecha Raja said:

perhaps. But calling it the best music ever written is a widely exaggerated and false statement. 

It's neither false nor true. It's subjective.

giskardsb
1 hour ago, Mecha Raja said:

Stopped reading here. 

your loss for making assumptions before actually following the post through and understanding the conclusion.  But hey, standard practice on GGD.

Archived