šŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA šŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Laverne Cox - Sweet Transvestite

Himeros26

Featured Posts

Himeros26

EDIT: This adaptation is in NO way trying to top the 1975 film. It is a tribute TO the film. Please take the negativity to a different site or thread thank U

Laverne Cox's rendition of "Sweet Transvestite" has been uploaded to YouTube today! Laverne will be filling Tim Curry's iconic heels as the legendary Dr. Frank N. Furter in the tribute TV movie "The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do The Time Warp Again!" Based on the 1973 musical The Rocky Horror Show and the 1975 film The Rocky Horror Picture Show.Ā 

Laverne absolutely SLAYED this, her lower register is so beautiful and I can't wait to see her next Thursday, Oct. 20th (the day before the second coming of Jesus, aka before Joanne drops)

SychosSoChic

It was terrible, and it's not like I had high expectations coming in :smh:

This "tribute" is going to be such a mess :smh:

Why is Hollywood trying to remake everything and failing :smh:

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

Himeros26
30 minutes ago, djBuffoon said:

Hated itĀ :saladga:Ā Nothing against Laverne but I don't think she has the chopsĀ for the role.

Her baritone voice is perfect for Frank N Furter, wym hun?

Ā 

& btw No negativity in this thread thank U

The magic of musical theatre is making things your own, and this version has been looking better and better. And this isn't a remake, it's a tribute!Ā 

djBuffoon
Just now, Himeros26 said:

Her baritone voice is perfect for Frank N Furter, wym hun?

Ā 

& btw No negativity in this thread thank U

The magic of musical theatre is making things your own, and this version has been looking better and better. And this isn't a remake, it's a tribute!Ā 

Babe, I literally grew up in musical theatre. :)Ā I admire her for taking on the role, and not that I'm expecting her to duplicate Tim Curry's performance,Ā but he used inflections and nuance and attitude in his performance, to perfection. Judging purely on vocals aside, this was very boring for me. And because she didn't even attempt the higher notes, it was literally monotone.

I adore Rocky Horror, and I've seen so many different productions of it that were great in their own right. Nothing that I've seen from this tribute has caught my interest.

Himeros26
2 minutes ago, djBuffoon said:

Babe, I literally grew up in musical theatre. :)Ā I admire her for taking on the role, and not that I'm expecting her to duplicate Tim Curry's performance,Ā but he used inflections and nuance and attitude in his performance, to perfection. Judging purely on vocals aside, this was very boring for me. And because she didn't even attempt the higher notes, it was literally monotone.

I adore Rocky Horror, and I've seen so many different productions of it that were great in their own right. Nothing that I've seen from this tribute has caught my interest.

But remember not everything has to be a belt or a high note &Ā there aren't even high notes really written into the song. Most come from actors' improv. I think they focused on her lower register intentionally for the "transvestite"Ā part,Ā because people are already thinking they rewrote Frank as a woman.Ā 

Am I the only one that thought it was rather transphobic of the producers to cast a transgender for the role of a character who is supposed to be aĀ man dressed as a woman?Ā :awkney:

Himeros26
2 minutes ago, Possibly Maybe said:

Am I the only one that thought it was rather transphobic of the producers to cast a transgender for the role of a character who is supposed to be aĀ man dressed as a woman?Ā 

No because roles like Frank can be played by both men and women. I heardĀ Gaga was contacted twice to play him and refused both timesĀ :duck:

Just now, Himeros26 said:

No because roles like Frank can be played by both men and women. I heardĀ Gaga was contacted twice to play him and refused both timesĀ :duck:

I've never seen a woman in the role, but I guess it may happen somewhere:duck:Ā Every rendition I've ever seen was a man as a transvestite female, which is why I was shocked and upset when they announced Laverne Cox for the part.Ā :toofunny:

Himeros26
Just now, Possibly Maybe said:

I've never seen a woman in the role, but I guess it may happen somewhereĀ Every rendition I've ever seen was a man as a transvestite female, which is why I was shocked and upset when they announced Laverne Cox for the part.Ā 

Professional productions tend to use big name male actors, but many shadowcasts and community theatres have casted women. And I think they used Laverne as a safer route too, considering it's being aired on Fox

djBuffoon
17 minutes ago, Himeros26 said:

But remember not everything has to be a belt or a high note &Ā there aren't even high notes really written into the song. Most come from actors' improv. I think they focused on her lower register intentionally for the "transvestite"Ā part,Ā because people are already thinking they rewrote Frank as a woman.Ā 

Dramatic licenses aside, the vocals on the track came off asĀ flat and lacking to meĀ :chica:

CatelynnMarie

I'm just a major major major fan of the original. It's good, but nothing will ever top the classic as far as I'm concernedĀ 

Archived