💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

other

About that "Friday release" thing...

L E O

Featured Posts

So. Everyone is assuming that PI will be released either on the 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23th or 30th september. 
But, is this friday rules really applies to single? As I was saying in another topic, one of my favorite band, Bastille, are releasing their new album next week on the 9th (#BuyWildWorldOniTunes #GetThatPromo :classy:), but their latest single, Send Them Off! (:staymad:) was released yesterday, on a wednesday. I have no other exemple tho, but I'm fairly sure we can find some.

So, I don't know how it works, but I'm guessing the friday rule applies only to album (and possibly physical releases?)

So, could it mean that Perfect Illusion could be released literally ANY DAY OF THE MONTH? 
#AllAboardOfTheHypeTrain

Spoiler

Sorry if anybody did already bring the subject :duck:

Just now, KleinKnight said:

Yeah it's not like every Gaga single was released on a Friday

What is going on

It's a recent rule (July if I recall), but I'm pretty sure it applies only to album, but I can't find any concrete proof :emma:

Aga Gydal

"Starting July 10, the official street date for all new album releases will be Friday (instead of the current Tuesday) in the United States. For all sales-based charts (ranking both albums and tracks), Billboard and Nielsen will change the chart reporting period to cover the first seven days of an album's release. This will result in an adjusted sales period of Friday to Thursday, as opposed to the Monday to Sunday cycle that has been utilized since the advent of Nielsen Music's point-of-sales tracking in 1991.

Streaming services will now also be tracked from Friday to Thursday for the charts that incorporate that data."

courtesy of this Billboard article: http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6605842/billboard-alter-chart-tracking-week-global-release-date

Meaning, an album (at least physically) must release on a Friday, but a digital single can technically be dropped at any time. Since Billboard ranks BOTH albums and tracks using the Friday-Thursday timetable, an artist will prefer to release a single on a Friday to take full advantage of chart placements. Since this is Lady Gaga we're talking about, I'd be surprised if she didn't want to position PI in the most favorable way. Friday's your best bet.

GloZell Green
5 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

It doesnt have to be on Friday. Work was released on Wednesday, for example.

Wasn't it played on radios on a Wednesday and released officially on a Friday. 

OT: Major artists usually release on Fridays.

Lady Gaga | Shakira

The Surrealist

I know right. 

Just Dance - Tuesday

Bad Romance - Monday

Applause - Monday

Anything Goes - Sunday

Only BTW was released on a friday.

monsterdino

They probably release it when they know it will get the most attention it doesnt matter if it's Friday or not

1 minute ago, Aga Gydal said:

"Starting July 10, the official street date for all new album releases will be Friday (instead of the current Tuesday) in the United States. For all sales-based charts (ranking both albums and tracks), Billboard and Nielsen will change the chart reporting period to cover the first seven days of an album's release. This will result in an adjusted sales period of Friday to Thursday, as opposed to the Monday to Sunday cycle that has been utilized since the advent of Nielsen Music's point-of-sales tracking in 1991.

Streaming services will now also be tracked from Friday to Thursday for the charts that incorporate that data."

courtesy of this Billboard article: http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6605842/billboard-alter-chart-tracking-week-global-release-date

Meaning, an album (at least physically) must release on a Friday, but a digital single can technically be dropped at any time. Since Billboard ranks BOTH albums and tracks using the Friday-Thursday timetable, an artist will prefer to release a single on a Friday to take full advantage of chart placements. Since this is Lady Gaga we're talking about, I'd be surprised if she didn't want to position PI in the most favorable way.

Oh thanks, that's what I was looking for! 
So yeah, even without this, Friday is a logical day to release something, but it gives more hope!

Spoiler

Or a possible release on the 31th :toofunny:

Born To Slay
2 minutes ago, L E O said:

It's a recent rule (July if I recall), but I'm pretty sure it applies only to album, but I can't find any concrete proof :emma:

It's not a rule as in you have too but if u care where ur song debuts on The hot 100. You release on Friday because that's the day the tracking week starts. 

Born To Slay
2 minutes ago, Sycamore said:

I know right. 

Just Dance - Tuesday

Bad Romance - Monday

Applause - Monday

Anything Goes - Sunday

Just Dance - didn't matter because she was new and wasn't debuting high

BR - the rules were Monday at the time 

Applause - the rules were Monday at the time

AG - wasn't gonna chart anyway

Archived