FlopSlurper
16 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

RxSjWFS.gif

Hide contents

im sorry i just wanted to use this :poot: 

I need a "reductive" version of this

PunkTheFunk

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :hor:

Stefani grew up idolizing the greats like Bowie, Madonna, MJ, etc. They were her teachers in a way. And I think when it came time to create "Lady Gaga" she took the thing she liked about each of them and combined them into one person (Madonna's self-expression and feminist power, Bowie's "alien energy", MJ's showmanship and discipline). 

I think she knew people were going to accuse her of "copying" legends, and she knew she wasn't fooling anyone. I don't see this as plagiarism (unlike someone we all know who copies from unknown artists whose work will never see the light of day *cough* her name rhymes with Feyonce :reductive:)

And I'm pretty sure the legends themselves "copied" from the legends before them. For instance, when Bowie first started out, he copied the singing style of this dude named Anthony Newley (a theatre star and actor in Britain I think), and when Newley heard Bowie's album he was apparently so disgusted he destroyed it :cryga:.

I think Gaga has really come into her own since then. I don't think she's a pop star. At her core she's just a girl who likes to sing and play piano, and I can't wait to see her in action on LG5 :firega:

Now that I think about it, maybe 2008-2013 was her getting the "crazy" out of her system, and now she's finally settled down enough to be herself.

Gaga said it best herself in 2013 in the BBC Culture Show interview (you can check out this thread I made a while ago, which has the video and the transcript):

"And I’m still very young, you know, in the duration of my work. And if you look at the early work of many artists over a sphere of many mediums, you can see them channeling and imitating and bringing along the artists that they’ve admired and learned from; their teachers. 

And then later on in their careers, that's when the real, amazing work starts to happen."

SilkSpectre0

Like any true artist of course she references. One of the reasons I love her too. She's never tried to steal an idea as her own, she always makes her reference clear 

ReidOne
6 hours ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Gaga said it best herself in 2013 in the BBC Culture Show interview (you can check out this thread I made a while ago, which has the video and the transcript):

"And I’m still very young, you know, in the duration of my work. And if you look at the early work of many artists over a sphere of many mediums, you can see them channeling and imitating and bringing along the artists that they’ve admired and learned from; their teachers. 

And then later on in their careers, that's when the real, amazing work starts to happen."

Omg --- you nailed it!!! It's been years since I've watched that full interview and completely forgot she addressed this so directly. Thank you! :hug::unicorn: :giveup: :staymad: :wub:

Archived