💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

EDM hits it's lowest low with this awful drop...

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

ALGAYDO

Who cares who started it or popularized it, I bop to this type of soft EDM. It's fun and catchy. Don't like it? Then don't listen to it. It's literally that simple :toofunny:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PartySick
13 hours ago, PaperIz said:

I think Britney just enjoys the music. She called the new album her baby But I see what you mean. 

I kind of like that this electronic sound will be one of the defining sounds of our generation. When it's done right, it's amazing what some DJ's and producers can do.

💚

TimisaMonster

If Perfect Illusion sounds anything like the 2016 annoying animal soft EDM  sound I'll burn my stan card

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

AyaKara

This effect has been around for decades, long before Bieber was born. The effect itself is great, it's just overdone in the context of all the music on the radio.

Never in my life did I think this music would become generic, it's the weirdest shift in music in the past 8 years or so :flop:

gagaisnotfat

I totally find this annoying too, but I've heard songs in 2013 with these voices, far before JB and my hallucinations :excuseu:

Rocket Number 9

What about Swine? :stalkga:

Spoiler

jk I love Swine. 

@Topic: I like some EDMs. Don't really know which songs I listen to are EDM, but I'm pretty sure some of them are.

I dont hear this as particularly worse than anything else because it literally sounds like everything else.

Harry

It can be fun if done properly, but just like any trend this is really starting to take it's toll. There are seemingly a hundred songs out there that are structured exactly like this with essentially the same drop... I'm not one to be snobby and complain about "chart music" but this is really the laziest trend out there right now. You have to question an artist/producer that puts something like this together and rejoices at what they've just come up with.

Maybe flip the conversation for sake of being devil's advocate... Is the audience to blame for how stale chart music and these trends become? Are people unwilling to broaden their tastes? After all music is a business and these major companies need to keep their coins coming in, so if this is what's hot, then... Who's really to blame?

Gagaloo911

"EDM hits its lowest low" is a pretty big value judgment to be making on such an eclectic and diverse genre as EDM. Like who are you even? Just cause you and maybe many others don't like it, doesn't mean it doesn't have any appeal or make it any less of an EDM form.

LaLuna

I thought EDM was over though :huh:

Clearly I'm not keeping track of the current trends in music :toofunny:

ReidOne

I agree with the OP. This era of "soft drops" is just absolutely worthless to my ears. And LAZY as @Harry said. 

I'm a lifelong fan of EDM, but one look across my favorite genres and it becomes clear why I hate this trend. My faves: 

- progressive house (2010-2013)
- electro house (2002-2012)
- progressive trance (2002-present day)
- French house (1999-present day)
- classic 80's house
- disco & funk (70's, 80's and 2000's)

This current style is just the natural course of popular music... Everything is a "reaction" to what came before. So, with the dominance of progressive house (and it's massive banger drops) hitting mainstream a few years ago, it was only natural that the reaction would be the "anti drop." 

But as an EDM fan, I feel like this "anti drop" is just completely counter productive, by definition. Not here for it. 

I'll be patiently waiting while this trend runs its course and we can get back to what dance music is really all about: complete, over-the-top, euphoric abandon (and the sonic and emotional highs that come with it), losing yourself in the music. 

DontDoubtDavid

I agree, never liked that sound either, except for some rare occasions. I hope the Perfect Illusion snippet is not the real one cause it has that sound...

Archived