💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

EDM The New Dominant Genre Again?

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

EDM had a large rise (not to be confused with Katy Perry's flop song) in 2011/2012/2013, but in 2014 and 2015 electronic dance production on songs, as well as electronic dance artists began to fade. David Guetta and Calvin Harris' (the two biggest electronic dance artists) albums couldn't match the sales and success of their previous ones. Using instruments in songs became in vogue, like in "Problem", "Talk Dirty" and "Worth It". 

But here we are in 2016 and looking at the Billboard chart, 4 of the top 10 songs are by electronic dance artists.

The Chainsmokers are the new hot duo, Calvin Harris is charting with his highest peaking song as a lead artist and Major Lazer is just getting started with "Cold Water" as well. Furthermore, DJ Snake's "Let Me Love You" is bound to be successful, and Flume is also climbing the charts. 

Has EDM been revived? 

nEIGAQx.gif

BeyerJ

I feel like it's always been around, just in different forms.

Always meaning in the past few years of course.

venusfly
1 minute ago, bryan said:

It was never really dead though :huh:

It was never this prominent. There was a small infatuation with Skrillex and Martin Garrix that died out as soon as it started, but the chart has never really been dominated by it. Electro-pop has dominated the charts, but its not the same as plain EDM. 

AmenTheNight

EDM has always been here, sometimes some trends tend to take over, but elements of EDM are always in Top 10 songs. However, different genres of EDM replace the others, years after years in the chart.

So yeah, the EDM we knew in 2009 is dead (electro pop), replaced in 2011/2013 by dubstep influences, and now it's time for tropical house.

joemayzzin

each year it defiantly progresses, i've been to EZoo 2011/2012 -- EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival) from 2012-2016 and the sound/DJ's have evolved so much! i remember the days also of being a 19 year old in NYC with my brothers 21 ID going to underground clubs in NYC hearing all different types of EDM (freestyle, techno, house, trance, breakbeat, drum&bass) each year its going to keep growing and i will admit that EDM is and forever will be my favorite genre of music!! 

Slayer

It never went away, it's just evolved. 

Personally I hope it evolves again FAST because I can't stand this 'light' EDM sound...it's so boring and you can't dance to it.

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

brizoda

in Europe has been a constant since the 80s

(italo-disco, high energy, House, techno, progressive House, hard House, trance, drum & bass, UK garage, dubstep, etc)

It's definitely come back tbh

chainsmokers have made an impact imo

Archived