Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Favorite Gaga self-reference?

15jocart

Featured Posts

15jocart

We all know that Lady Gaga loves referencing everything in her music, from Koons to the Wizard of Oz to her own damn songs. Even from the beginning she was self-aware enough to reference her previous works. What's your favorite self-referential lyric?

"LoveGame" in "Poker Face"

“Love Game intuition, play the card with spades to start/ And after he’s been hooked, I’ll play the one that’s on his heart"

"Just Dance" in "Monster"

“I wanna ‘Just Dance,’ but he took me home instead"

"Born This Way" in "Heavy Metal Lover"

"Heavy Metal Lovers play, ‘Baby we were born this way"

"Judas" in "Electric Chapel" (or vice versa)

"Follow me/ Don’t be such a holy fool" vs "I’m just a Holy Fool, oh baby he’s so cruel"

"Marry the Night" in "Fashion!"

"Married to the night, I own the world"

"Scheiße" in "Gypsy"

“I don’t speak German, but I try" (vs: “I don’t speak German, but I can if you’d like")

"ARTPOP" in "Applause"

"A-R-T-P-O-P" (Okay this is sort of a reach because it's clearly referencing the album but whatever:unicorn:)

"Paparazzi" in "Cake Like Lady Gaga"

“I’ll snatch your fu**ing weave out, bitch/ In front of paparazzi, singing ‘Paparazzi’ in this bitch" (bonus: "Donatella on your hoes/ Donatella got them clothes", "Burqa swag like Lady Gaga")

"Blueberry Kisses Forever" in "Let Love Down"

"Just sing a little song, ‘Blueberry Kisses’ forever"

These are the ones I found! My personal favorite is the Scheiße reference in Gypsy because that one was clearly put in as an Easter egg for her fans. It's obvious if you know her past discography but fits into the lyrics well enough that a casual listener wouldn't think much of it (and it's not the name of a song like LoveGame or Just Dance). :woohoo:

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

Yuuri

When she performed Gypsy forvthe first time, I cried a little at the Scheiße part.

T3ARS

I love A-R-T-P-O-P at the end of Applause 

tumblr_msq4knzXWf1qflx9wo1_500.gif

It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences. - Audre Lorde

Antonio

I just love "Cake Like Lady Gaga" :woot:

𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞

llbcherry

For some reason, out of these, I particularly love, "Sing a little song, blueberry kisses forever."

And, "Follow me, don't be such a holy fool."

kabirartfling

The MTN reference in Fashion! Was TRAGIC :giveup:......i was like wot? Wot did she say? lmao! :toofunny:

Give your love to me

Lord Temptation

I like the three references she makes to Hitchcock horror films in Bad Romance.

"I want your "Psycho", your "Vertigo" shtick. Want you in my "Rear Window" baby it's sick, I want your love"

The Fame Monster is a Gothic pop masterpiece. 

crisTEAne
5 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

I like the three references she makes to Hitchcock horror films in Bad Romance.

"I want your "Psycho", your "Vertigo" shtick. Want you in my "Rear Window" baby it's sick, I want your love"

The Fame Monster is a Gothic pop masterpiece. 

that's a chic reference right there. :diane:

OT: the holy fool and the gypsy ones are my faves. :flutter: 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Lord Temptation
4 minutes ago, T E A said:

that's a chic reference right there. :diane:

OT: the holy fool and the gypsy ones are my faves. :flutter: 

Queen of singing the future and predicting her own career.

crisTEAne

jazz art pop punk actress fashion magazine editor columnist and psychic / fortune-teller

Lady-Gaga1.jpg

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Helxig

I remember the first time I noticed one it was "baby we were born this way" in Heavy Metal Lover and I got so excited :laughga:

And also hearing "married to the night" in Fashion was thrilling because I'd just got the album and hearing that throwback to one of my favourite songs was surprising, and made me smile so hard :wub:

But my favourite Gaga self reference isn't actually a lyric, it's this performance:

08c7bf1f12a17f98cfe2f0800976c486.jpeg

That performance was everything. Seeing her transform right in front of our eyes so many times, going through the eras, then running out as seashell girl and slaying the choreography. She owned the pop world that night! :wub:

(I don't know how some people diss that performance. I really don't)

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

24 minutes ago, Helxig said:

I remember the first time I noticed one it was "baby we were born this way" in Heavy Metal Lover and I got so excited :laughga:

And also hearing "married to the night" in Fashion was thrilling because I'd just got the album and hearing that throwback to one of my favourite songs was surprising, and made me smile so hard :wub:

But my favourite Gaga self reference isn't actually a lyric, it's this performance:

08c7bf1f12a17f98cfe2f0800976c486.jpeg

That performance was everything. Seeing her transform right in front of our eyes so many times, going through the eras, then running out as seashell girl and slaying the choreography. She owned the pop world that night! :wub:

(I don't know how some people diss that performance. I really don't)

Its wayyy more better than that ugly Miley performance

Archived