Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Madonna The Only Major 80's Icon Left

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

TheBatman

Grace Jones is amazing,and arguably she should be a huge global superstar, and of course she IS an ICON! Madonna, Gaga, and many others have stolen from her.

BUT, Grace Jones, even less than many rockers thrown in here on this thread, does not have songs the GP knows and loves. It is a person few and far between that can say Grace Jones was the soundtrack to their life. MJ, Prince, Whitney and Madonna, these four have discographies all laypeople know. They were put up on this incredible pedestals, global superstars. Once again, think Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, etc, these are the type of huge icons we are talking about here.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
androiduser

Madonna is on the level of icons like Michael Jackson, Elvis, Marilyn, John Lennon.

I am a hater, but let's not kid ourselves. She's the only surviving icon of that status.

Ciccone Madonna

eff48ae27b3d82d7f54a45b957d8751a.jpg  making explicit art for the masses since 1984(MTV VMA AWARDS 1984)

Madonna-Like_a_Prayer-Music_Video.jpg questioning religion since 1989 

madonna.gif making female empowerment anthems since 1989

truth-or-dare-gay-kiss.png 

4599926136.png  embracing the lgbt community in HIGH QUALITY ART AND MAKING THE TIMELESS ANTHEM

giphy.gif 

AWARDED WITH THE MTV ARTIST OF THE DECADE 1980s achievement award 

I ll let history judge all of this work. Until then let other icons prevail.

PopBitch

Well,I consider U2 an iconic band.   U2 came about in the '80s, and they have been the biggest band in the world and biggest touring band in the world many times.  So it will be massive when Bono dies, and The Edge to a lesser degree because U2 will cease to exist.

But on a personal note for me, and many of their Black Swarm followers,  maybe not the general mainstream public, when Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode dies I will be devastated, and also Martin Gore the main songwriter because DM will be no more.  The electronica godfathers who have influenced generations of artists and are still touring every three and a half years when they put out an album, which in Europe they often play stadiums.

PopBitch
1 hour ago, elijahfan said:

Cindy, Cher, Janet and Blondie say hi

All will be major deaths given the proper coverage, but nothing like when Madonna passes away.  It will be massive news and coverage of her many decades of performing and music and impact.

Kanye West
18 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

Well,I consider U2 an iconic band.   U2 came about in the '80s, and they have been the biggest band in the world and biggest touring band in the world many times.  So it will be massive when Bono dies, and The Edge to a lesser degree because U2 will cease to exist.

Because they force themselves onto people's phones.

KANYEWEST.COM

elijahfan
10 minutes ago, PopBitch said:

All will be major deaths given the proper coverage, but nothing like when Madonna passes away.  It will be massive news and coverage of her many decades of performing and music and impact.

... ****ing Cher tho, I mean come on :toofunny:

PopBitch
Just now, elijahfan said:

... ****ing Cher tho, I mean come on :toofunny:

I agree. Cher will be huge because there's so much to cover, her career as Sonny & Cher, her comeback, her acting career, etc  Still, it won't reach Madonna levels as far as how long the coverage lasts.

PopThatArt
4 hours ago, androiduser said:

@PopThatArt

but you are mostly naming legendary musicians, but they are not necessarily superstars in the same way Prince MJ and Madonna were.

EXCUSE ME? They most certainly are superstars, being popular in pop music is not the only way for someone to be a "superstar". There are many people in many genres of music who changed the shape of the genre they make music in. Pop is not the only genre in existence, like so many pop fans like to think. 

Go see A Star is Born

PopThatArt
14 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Something typical of someone born in the 90s or 2000s would say. If you actually ask people who lived during the 80s and how big superstars like U2 and Bon Jovi and other people I listed were, you'll see just how iconic and huge they really are, just because our media today only covers these little popstars who cause scandal and don't necessarily have talent doesn't talk about the icons from the 80s and 90s much, doesn't mean they aren't superstars and icons who changed or represented the genre they created music in, just like Madonna changed pop, bands like U2 changed Rock. 

Go see A Star is Born

PopBitch
12 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

And force people into stadiums and arenas filled to the max to see them, always putting on cutting edge concerts with technology.  Shame on them.

Kanye West
Just now, PopThatArt said:

Something typical of someone born in the 90s or 2000s would say. If you actually ask people who lived during the 80s and how big superstars like U2 and Bon Jovi and other people I listed were, you'll see just how iconic and huge they really are, just because our media today only covers these little popstars who cause scandal and don't necessarily have talent doesn't talk about the icons from the 80s and 90s much, doesn't mean they aren't superstars and icons who changed or represented the genre they created music in, just like Madonna changed pop, bands like U2 changed Rock. 

I was born in the 70's :awkney:

They literally forced themselves onto people's phones. A lot of people are only aware of them because of that. It was an obnoxious marketing scheme.

KANYEWEST.COM

Kanye West
1 minute ago, PopBitch said:

And force people into stadiums and arenas filled to the max to see them, always putting on cutting edge concerts with technology.  Shame on them.

They are so cutting edge that they have to force people to listen to them. When will Gaga?

KANYEWEST.COM

Archived