Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

The K-Pop Thread

Taylor

Featured Posts

Taylor
6 hours ago, PoshLife said:

Oh my God, this lmao.gif I forgot about this lmao.gif

"SNSD says 'I Got a Boy', but I have to say "I Got 10 CDs" :lmao: :lmao: :toofunny:

Tbh I think I've only looked at HyoYeon's photo book and the group version's photo book :flop: 

Martijn

So, a little update on my first K-pop album buying experience.
I've now received the CDs after 13 business days, which is earlier than expected, so that's a good thing.
However, when the mailman gave me the package, I had to pay €19,52 ($22.07) in import duties.
That brings the total amount I've spent on these 3 CDs on €66,69 ($75.41), while the CDs themselves only cost €31,47 ($35.59)...
So, I'm not in the best mood right now. As much as I wanted those CDs, I really doubt if it was worth it in the end.
To my fellow K-pop merch buyers: Have you experienced this before? Is there any way I can prevent this? For example by ordering smaller or bigger amounts of CDs at the same time?

PoshLife
2 hours ago, MartijnMonster said:

I've now received the CDs after 13 business days, which is earlier than expected, so that's a good thing.
However, when the mailman gave me the package, I had to pay €19,52 ($22.07) in import duties.
That brings the total amount I've spent on these 3 CDs on €66,69 ($75.41), while the CDs themselves only cost €31,47 ($35.59)...
So, I'm not in the best mood right now. As much as I wanted those CDs, I really doubt if it was worth it in the end.
To my fellow K-pop merch buyers: Have you experienced this before? Is there any way I can prevent this? For example by ordering smaller or bigger amounts of CDs at the same time?

@Taylor

PopReaper

I just wanna dance the night away
Du nun-eul gamgo dance in the moonlight
Jeomjeom deo dal-aolla tteugeobge
Nado nal meomchul su eobs-eo no way

tumblr_inline_o4kea42zbN1rq5xcu_500.gif

Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

HANZ

OMG I didnt know that 2 of them were Japanese

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

YCHofficial
41 minutes ago, MARLON BRANDO said:

OMG I didnt know that 2 of them were Japanese

not 2 but 3 of them are Japanese

Mina

sr23FLu.gif

Sana

siR7ztp.gif

Momo

hY9scaD.gif

• Like 1

Taylor
6 hours ago, MartijnMonster said:

Hey! Yeah, customs duty sucks, in my experience it's rare to get a customs charge but I always let out a sigh when I see that I have been charged.

Hopefully you're happy with the CDs themselves though? :) 

Customs laws are different for each country, for example in the UK nothing is charged if the goods are declared as anything less than £15 (~$22). However, if the customs slip has marked the goods as a 'gift' the limit is raised to £34 or (~$48). Anything over that and you have to pay import VAT.

I think you said you lived in the Netherlands, right? I did a quick Google, and this site says "VAT is not charged if the FOB value, i.e. the value of the goods excluding shipping and insurance cost, does not exceed €22." If the value does exceed that, then you're liable to pay import VAT at 21%.

On the customs slip of the box it will have the declared value (probably the $35) of the CDs. Since this is over the €22 (~$24) limit, I'm guessing that's why you will have been charged. You were probably charged about €6.50 as import VAT ($35 x 21% then covered to Euros) and an additional handling fee of about €13.00 (to make up the €19.52 charge).

You said you purchased from KTOWN4U, right? On the order page there is a box that lets you select the customs value (if you leave it blank the customs form is marked at the value of the CDs by default), so if you order anything in the future you should type maybe around $15 to avoid the charge again.

I had a huge box of stuff (like 50cm in length by 30cm wide and 30cm tall) last summer with a declared value of $15. Sure it probably looked kinda suspicious for the value, but I didn't get charged :emma: 

Each store is different. I know Grape Music on eBay by default marks it as a gift with low value, as does kpopmart.com. If you want to order from a different store and are unsure of how they handle customs forms, just ask me and I'll probably be able to tell you (I've ordered from so many places :flop:). 

• Like 1

Martijn
3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Hey!

You're an angel! I'm so glad to know that there might be a way to avoid paying for import duties! I don't think I ever would've bought CDs from Korea ever again if I had to pay that ridiculous amount every time!
I'll definitely pay attention to it next time!
Thank you so much for helping me again! You're a sweetheart!
Ooh, and I'm very happy with the CDs! The unboxing experience is oddly satisfying!

RAMROD

If I have to purchase K-Pop CDs, since I mainly purchase YG records, I usually bought it from official store, the YG store on ebay. I got my package in a week since I cleared payment. Got 2NE1 1st Mini and To Anyone that way, as well as the BB's MADE singles and some official merchandise.

Other than that, CDJapan ofc.

Always use EMS, so it arrived in 3 days to a week after payment.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ with birds I share this lonely view (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Taylor
3 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

If I have to purchase K-Pop CDs, since I mainly purchase YG records, I usually bought it from official store, the YG store on ebay. I got my package in a week since I cleared payment. Got 2NE1 1st Mini and To Anyone that way, as well as the BB's MADE singles and some official merchandise.

Other than that, CDJapan ofc.

Always use EMS, so it arrived in 3 days to a week after payment.

CD Japan... :emma: I always get charged customs fees with them. Every damn time. lmao.gif

Yeah, EMS is good but some stores charge a really high price for it. 
I once had two parcels shipped from Korea on the same day, one EMS and one standard. They both arrived on the same day as the EMS one was held up by stupid Parcelforce operations :deadbanana: It usually takes 3-4 days though :) 

Taylor
12 minutes ago, MartijnMonster said:

You're an angel! I'm so glad to know that there might be a way to avoid paying for import duties! I don't think I ever would've bought CDs from Korea ever again if I had to pay that ridiculous amount every time!
I'll definitely pay attention to it next time!
Thank you so much for helping me again! You're a sweetheart!
Ooh, and I'm very happy with the CDs! The unboxing experience is oddly satisfying!

Yeah same, if I had to pay customs every time I wouldn't bother. Here it's 20% import VAT and a ~$19.50 handling fee :flop:

I'd say I get customs fees maybe once every 25 orders (maybe not even that) but keep in mind I usually buy 8-10 CDs at a time so it would probably be less frequent if I only ordered 3-5 CDs.

You're welcome :sara: any questions, just ask :) 

RAMROD
1 minute ago, Taylor said:

CD Japan... :emma: I always get charged customs fees with them. Every damn time. lmao.gif

Yeah, EMS is good but some stores charge a really high price for it. 
I once had two parcels shipped from Korea on the same day, one EMS and one standard. They both arrived on the same day as the EMS one was held up by stupid Parcelforce operations :deadbanana: It usually takes 3-4 days though :) 

Wow, I guess it depends on countries then.

Why would they hold your package tho, that seems strict tbh. :huh:

Taylor
2 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Wow, I guess it depends on countries then.

Why would they hold your package tho, that seems strict tbh. :huh:

No idea, Parcelforce (delivery courier) are useless. 

A few weeks ago a parcel of mine was received in the UK, it then entered customs and then nothing... I waited a week. Nothing. I waited another week. Nothing. I called customs and they said they'd handed it back to Parcelforce. I phoned Parcelforce and they said they'd not received it from customs :deadbanana:

I got it three weeks later after Parcelforce "found it" after I called their managing directors office to complain :flop: 

-

Yesterdays delivery... Well. I picked it up because I had a customs fee to pay too :toofunny:

D3CgRxS.jpg

• Like 2

RAMROD
3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

No idea, Parcelforce (delivery courier) are useless. 

A few weeks ago a parcel of mine was received in the UK, it then entered customs and then nothing... I waited a week. Nothing. I waited another week. Nothing. I called customs and they said they'd handed it back to Parcelforce. I phoned Parcelforce and they said they'd not received it from customs :deadbanana:

I got it three weeks later after Parcelforce "found it" after I called their managing directors office to complain :flop: 

-

Yesterdays delivery... Well. I picked it up because I had a customs fee to pay too :toofunny:

D3CgRxS.jpg

That is so messy, got ping ponged like that :air:

Glad you finally received it though!