💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

The K-Pop Thread

Taylor

Featured Posts

Martijn

Martijn's 2020 predictions:

BIGBANG - OT4 will have their first comeback post-enlistment. I expect YG to go all out with the promotions (multiple title tracks, reality show, etc) to recover from the scandals.

BLACKPINK - New mini album in February (4 new songs and a Kill This Love remix). Their long-awaited American debut will be produced by Teddy and a Western co-producer. High budget MV, talkshow appearances, American tour,... the whole shabang. Pretty sure they will have another Japanese release this year as well, possibly one that isn't just a reworked version of one of their Korean songs. I don't think the long awaited Rosé solo debut will be this year, but she will feature on a hugely popular artist's song.

Chungha - Her goal for 2019 was to have 3 comebacks, which unfortunately didn't happen (possibly because of I.O.I preparations?). I do expect her to have 3 comebacks in early, mid and late 2020 respectively though. The singles will all do well, with one of them having a Gotta Go-amount of success. I think the I.O.I comeback is officially cancelled. 

CIX  - My favourite male rookie group of 2019. Would love to see them release another mini soon and hopefully a full album in the summer. I think they will follow the traditional rookie promotion schedule where they just release new music every 6 months with lots of TV appearances and fansigns.

CL - I'm sure she has songs ready to be released. I wonder if she will do the whole traditional Korean way of promoting again (music shows, etc.) or if she will just release songs every now and then with a possible tour (like Taeyeon and IU). I don't see a full album per se, I think she will just release singles.

CLC - New mini album early 2020 with either another mini in Q3 or two singles mid and late 2020. One member will act in a drama and one will get a job as an MC of a show.

Everglow - I think this year they will have a huge hit. Probably not as hard-hitting as BBC and Adios, to appeal to the GP more. I expect two mini's, no full album just yet.

EXO - I'm pretty sure another member will enlist this year. I think that rather than releasing an OT5 album, they will take a hiatus to focus on individual and sub-unit promotions: Baekhyun and Chen will definitely get solo comebacks, Kai and Sehun will do dramas. I would LOVE a Kai solo debut but idk if he's strong enough vocally. I also don't expect another EXO-SC comeback.

(G)I-DLE - I expect another mini very soon since their last mini was in June. I wouldn't be surprised if they will release a full album, but at the same time CUBE barely gives their ggs full Korean albums (4MINUTE had one, CLC and HyunA none).

Girls' Generation - There has to be another OH!GG comeback, but then again I expected one in 2019 too so... Definitely no OT8 comeback though. Taeyeon and Tiffany will definitely release solo stuff and Hyoyeon is pretty likely to do that too. Don't expect any new solo debuts or comebacks for Yuri and Yoona.

HyunA - I really hope she releases another single in Q1 and a mini in the summer. Flower Shower was very GP friendly, but I think the next song will be the hoe anthem we deserve.

ITZY - Two mini's (probably in Q1 and Q3). I think four mini's would give them enough material to go on a (worldwide) tour (YG sure seems to think so).

NCT 127 - My baby Jungwoo returns for a full album in Q1 with Korean and international promotions. Later that year, they will release a Japanese mini and go on another worldwide tour to promote another mini.

NCT DREAM - If SM listens to the fans, OT6 will become a fixed unit. Haechan will take part in recordings but might have to opt out of certain promotions because of 127 activities. First full album in the summer with another promotional single before that (possibly another English song or a collab w a Western artist).
If not, Haechan, Jaemin and Jeno will graduate. Haechan will promote w/ 127; Jaemin and Jeno will join a new group; and new rookies will join the remaining two Dreamies. I'm not sure about Renjun. I think he will either join the new group as well or join WayV (possibly along with Chenle)

NCT U - I would really like another NCT U project. I don't expect more than a digital single though, possibly an OST.

NCT WayV - Will release a mini and a full album with songs in Chinese (obvi), but also English and possibly Korean versions. Depending on SM's plans for Dream, Renjun (and Chenle) might join the group.

NCT ? / New SM boy group - Possibly the last new NCT unit we will get. I have no idea if SM has any Japanese rookies, but a Japan-based unit would make sense. Members would include Yuta, new rookies and possibly Johnny.

New SM girl group - Their debut has GOT to be this year, especially since RV is SM's only active girl group at the moment. Hopefully they will debut soon enough so that they can release two title tracks this year, but SM's schedule is already pretty full (I didn't even include TXVQ! and Super Junior comebacks here)

Red Velvet - Since they just released a full album, I don't expect more than 2 Korean minis in 2020. They will do another tour though, likely international, and release another Japanese album.

SHINee - Onew and Key will both return, but I don't expect an (mini)album before the end of 2020. Maybe just a digital single. Taemin will definitely release another full Korean album and another Japanese mini or single though.

Sunmi - I expect 2 singles and a full album, but I have no idea in what order. One of the songs will have another choreography by Lia Kim, but will not be able to reach Gashina's amount of success.

SuperM - Tour dates have already been announced. I expect another mini album (hopefully soon to keep momentum) and possibly a full album. I'm sure the members will all be very busy doing their solo and group promotions though, so I don't expect ANOTHER tour at the end of the year. Possibly just announcements for 2021.

Treasure 13 - The two new subunits of YG's new boygroup have been spotted filming w new hair colours lately, so I'm sure their delayed debut is finally upon us. I would love for them to do a full album that will have OT13 songs as well as unit songs, but I don't expect this for their debut. I think the units will debut separately first.

Twice - I'm 99% sure they will release another full album next year, but I think they will wait til Q3 so they can release another mini before that. It's pretty much also a given that they will release another Japanese (mini) album. I think they will tour Korea and Japan, but I don't expect any American promotions. 

Happy New Year everybody! I hope it will be a great year for all of you and for k-pop as well! :party:

• Like 2

Irrelevant
2 minutes ago, Martijn said:

CLC - New mini album early 2020 with either another mini in Q3 or two singles mid and late 2020. One member will act in a drama and one will get a job as an MC of a show.

Cube is planning to give CLC a full album next year: https://www.reddit.com/r/crystalclear/comments/da42mv/clc_reveals_that_they_will_release_a_full_album/

Whether it will happen though, well...

3 minutes ago, Martijn said:

Red Velvet - Since they just released a full album, I don't expect more than 2 Korean minis in 2020. They will do another tour though, likely international, and release another Japanese album.

I can't imagine RV performing without Wendy. Seulgi could be main vocalist but then their songs are going to be 50% her. Maybe they'll venture into solo stuff? 

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Martijn
4 minutes ago, Irrelevant said:

Cube is planning to give CLC a full album next year: https://www.reddit.com/r/crystalclear/comments/da42mv/clc_reveals_that_they_will_release_a_full_album/

Whether it will happen though, well...

I can't imagine RV performing without Wendy. Seulgi could be main vocalist but then their songs are going to be 50% her. Maybe they'll venture into solo stuff? 

Ooh I'm so happy CLC is finally getting the attention they deserve!

Ah yeah I forgot to mention that I expect a solo debut for Seulgi. I still think RV will do group promotions though, their new songs will just have to be less vocally challenging I guess

Irrelevant
1 minute ago, Martijn said:

Ah yeah I forgot to mention that I expect a solo debut for Seulgi. I still think RV will do group promotions though, their new songs will just have to be less vocally challenging I guess

I really hope SM won't throw RV into the dungeon after ngg debut :rip:

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

PoshLife

2019 Superlatives

Best artists: Katy Perry, Chanmina, Perfume, Charli XCX, Hwa Sa

Best songs: Utada x Skrillex, "Face My Fears"; Perfume, "Nananananairo"; Bolbbalgan4, "Stars Over Me"; Katy Perry, "Never Really Over"; Favorite, "Loca"

Best MVs: Miley Cyrus, "Mother's Daughter"; Sheena Ringo and Utada Hikaru, "Sun and Moon in London"; Sunmi, "Noir"; Vanessa Carlton, "Future Pain"; City Alone, "Crime Night"

Best artwork: Everything from Tanaka Alice; Red Velvet, "The ReVe Festival Finale"; Missy Elliott, "Iconology"; New Years Day, "Shut Up"

Worst artwork: Taeyeon, "Spark"; Perfume, "Nananananairo" and "SaiSei"

Best moment: Utada and Skrillex teaming up to give me the EDM bop of my 2012 dreams; Missy Elliott slaying at the VMAs; CL and Amber making up for lost time

Worst moment: The rash of KPop suicides continuing; Wendy getting severely injured

Biggest surprise: Anda debuting with a real label; Alannis Morrisette coming back

Best discovery: Weekly kpop round-ups on YouTube; Ava Max; old Perfume songs I'd never heard before like My Color and Edge; new nugus to root for like Favorite and Neon Punch

Still listening from 2018: HyoYeon, "Sober"; Rothy, "Burning"; Ava Max, "Sweet but Psycho"

Looking forward to in 2020: New releases from CL, Utada, Chanmina, and Vanessa Carlton; seeing who performs at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics

• Like 1

PopReaper

PopReaper's K-Pop Year-End Superlatives of 2019:

Spoiler

Best Single(s): 

Spoiler

1. Lim Kim "SAL-KI"
2. A-PINK "Eung Eung"
3. Hwasa "Twit"
4. TWICE "Feel Special"
5. TXT "Crown"

Honorable Mentions: LOONA "Butterfly", MAMAMOO "Hip" and Sulli "Goblin"

Best Album(s):

Spoiler

1. Lim Kim "Generasian"
2. Yerin Baek "Every letter I sent you."
3. TWICE "Feel Special"
4. LOONA "[X X]"
5. TXT "The Dream Chapter: Star"

Best B-Sides:

Spoiler

1. Lim Kim "MONG"
2. TXT "Our Summer"
3. TWICE "TRICK IT"
4. CL "Rewind"
5. Sulli "Dorothy"
6. Yerin Baek "Square (2017)"
7. Red Velvet "LP"
8. LOONA "Curiosity"
9. BTS "Home"
10. TWICE "Hot"

Best Music Video(s): LOONA "Butterfly", Taemin "Want" and Lim Kim "Yellow"
Best Choreography: LOONA "Butterfly"
Best Discovery: cacophony
Best Nugus: Maybe not nugus in the traditional sense of the word, but TXT (+ WayV, but they're not really K-Pop)
Biggest Surprise: Lim Kim coming back from her hiatus as an experimental pop artist, TWICE serving quality throughout the entirety of their 2 mini albums
Biggest Disappointment: LOONA only getting one comeback, IOI reunion falling apart
Songs I’m Still Listening From 2018: Everything LOONA, SHINee and NCT have released + A-Pink's "I'm So Sick", Yuri's "Illusion" and "C'est La Vie" and Hyorin's "Dally"
Predictions for 2020: 2/3 LOONA comebacks and a tour, new SM girl group, WayV full album and a Korean debut, NCT 2020 and a SHINee reunion later in the year (not necessarily in the form of a comeback)

Top 25 Most-Played 2019 Songs (Western):

Spoiler

1. Red Light - Tei Shi
2. Mine - Slayyyter
3. Perfect Crime - Tinashe
4. Norman ****ing Rockwell - Lana Del Rey
5. Say So - Doja Cat
6. Aute Cuture - Rosalía
7. Daddy AF - Slayyyter
8. Doin' Time - Lana Del Rey
9. Sawzall - BANKS
10. Really Don't Like You (feat. Kylie Minogue) - Tove Lo
11. Got My Number - Kim Petras
12. Love Song - Lana Del Rey
13. Looking For America - Lana Del Rey
14. sad day - FKA twigs
15. Caroline Shut Up - Caroline Polachek
16. holy terrain (feat. Future) - FKA twigs
17. Hawaiian Mazes - BANKS
18. How To Disappear - Lana Del Rey
19. When He's Done - Tei Shi
20. Crave (feat. Swae Lee) - Madonna
21. Ocean of Tears - Caroline Polachek
22. listen before i go - Billie Eilish
23. Juicy - Doja Cat
24. What About Love - BANKS
25. You - Snoh Aalegra

Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

PopReaper

~ PopReaper's 2010's Superlatives ~

Best K-Pop Singles (In no specific order):

Spoiler

1. SHINee - Lucifer
2. f(x) - 4 Walls
3. Red Velvet - Russian Roulette
4. Taeyeon - I
5. Taemin - Move
6. LOONA/Kim Lip - Eclipse 
7. A-Pink - I'm So Sick
8. Lim Kim - SAL-KI
9. Girls' Generation - I Got A Boy
10. Cha Ji Yeon & LDN Noise - My Show
11. EXO - Growl
12. NCT U - The 7th Sense
13. Gain - Paradise Lost
14. Brown Eyed Girls - Brand New World
15. SISTAR - I Like That
16. KARA - Pandora
17. 2NE1 - I Am The Best
18. Sunmi - 24 Hours
19. IOI - Very Very Very
20. WINGS - Hair Short
21. TWICE - Feel Special
22. Suzy - Yes No Maybe
23. miss A  - Hush
24. Wonder Girls - I Feel You
25. Yubin - Lady
26. Nine Muses - Wild
27. 4Minute - Volume Up
28. Hyolyn - Dally
29. Hwasa - TWIT
30. Girls' Generation - The Boys
31. SHINee - View
32. KARA - Lupin
33. BoA - Kiss My Lips
34. INFINITE - Last Romeo
35. Orange Caramel - Catallena
36. Lim Kim - Awoo
37. LOONA/Yves - New
38. Ailee - I'll Show You
39. CHICHI - Love Is Energy
40. AOA - Good Luck

Best K-Pop B-Sides (In no specific order):

Spoiler

1. Red Velvet - Body Talk
2. Lim Kim - MONG
3. BTS - Home
4. SHINee - Lock You Down
5. LOONA/Yves - D-1
6. TWICE - Trick It
7. TWICE - Hot
8. Sulli - Dorothy
9. Taemin - Heart Stop (feat. Seulgi)
10. Jonghyun - Take The Dive
11. Jonghyun - Before Our Spring
12. Suzy - Les Préférences
13. f(x) - Airplane
14. UNIQ - Listen To Me
15. Ailee - Shut Up (feat. Simon D)
16. EXID - Boy
17. IU - Jam Jam
18. IOI - Hold Up
19. miss A - Love Song
20. Narsha - Fantastic
21. NCT 127 - Heartbreaker
22. YESEO - Million Things
23. Girls' Generation - Goodbye
24. Yuri - C'Est La Vie
25. SHINee - Don't Stop

Best J-Pop Songs (In no specific order):

Spoiler

1. Michi - Utada
2. Too Proud - Utada
3. Sober - Chanmina
4. Parallel Universe - Ai Otsuka
5. Labirynth - MONDO GROSSO
6. Ai-tai-tai - Red Velvet
7. The Great Escape - Girls' Generation
8. LUNAR - Nicole Jung
9. Namie Amuro - Photogenic
10. Namie Amuro - Stardust In My Eyes
11. Perfume - 1mm
12. Perfume - Cosmic Explorer/Fushizen Na Girl
13. Utada Hikaru - Tomodachi
14. Shishido Kavka - Love Corridor
15. SHINee - Password
16. SHINee - Picasso
17. SHINee - Get The Treasure
18. Wednesday Campanella - Napoleon
19. Wednesday Campanella - Aladdin
20. AISHA - Shy Demo Iiyo

Edited by PopReaper
Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

PoshLife

I can't stop looking at this photo. The background is so cheerful and they both look SO miserable :laughga: 

It kind of looks like the woman in the blue dress is holding Utada hostage and we need to send her a million dollars by midnight on New Years Eve if we ever want to see her again :emma: 

• LMAO 1