COLUMBIA 15,993 +26%

41DAVID BOWIE
BEST OF BOWIE

RHINO/PARLOPHONE 12,331 +69%

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

We miss you David. Rest In Peace.

tumblr_m8tksjyFbA1r47qvb.gif

Dangerous Man

David's son can stop complaining now and thank the goddess of music. 

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

Iwontell

Sales or not, she has made so many young ppl aware of him and of his work, which is so much more important...and I'm not even talking Grammy's Tribute, I'm talking ever since she became famous and would mention him as her personal paradigm for artistic greatness every now and then...

And then all these pretentious ****ers want to **** on her? What lack of vision...or maybe that's what bothers these people the most, the fear that they won't be able to use Bowie to feel better than everyone else anymore - which, by the way, goes against David's view of art and cultural presence, he hated elitism...

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

PartySick

I was about to say "pretty sure it's his death that boosted sales..." but

1 minute ago, Iwontell said:

Sales or not, she has made so many young ppl aware of him and of his work, which is so much more important...and I'm not even talking Grammy's Tribute, I'm talking ever since she became famous and would mention him as her personal paradigm for artistic greatness every now and then...

And then all these pretentious ****ers want to **** on her? What lack of vision...

No lies detected tbh^

ViviLittleM
3 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I'm not trying to knock Gaga but don't sales always go up after an artist's death? :sweat:

His death was on January 10th

PopBitch
2 hours ago, Kayla said:

I'm not trying to knock Gaga but don't sales always go up after an artist's death? :sweat:

Yes.  His sales were huge after his death all across the board as far as his early albums and his last two albums.  The charts were listed on the internet, for the UK and America especially are the ones I read.  HIs estate earnings from his music post his passing is expected to be huge for years to come, like Michael Jackson's, because the reverberation across the globe from his death has been massive, like Lennon's and Michael's, huge in relation to other artists who pass away.

No disrespect to Gaga, but she mentioned Bowie as an inspiration and a ton of other artists as inspiration. So do a ton of other artists in articles for years, and not pop artists, but rock artists, whose fans would be more likely to buy his music.  Her mentioning it never affected his sales when he was alive in any meaningful way.  She never once covered any of his music when she was alive in concert, like she did other artists. 

I agree the performance would get a natural spike for his sales after the Grammys,and bring attention to her fans more but that's natural. They would have had a tribute with or without Gaga, and it would have spiked. I think Gaga's multi-song medley probably enhanced that spike, but I have no idea what would have been done without her to compare.

I imagine it's a small percentage of her own fans that will go out and buy Bowie music. It's his death that have brought people from all walks of life delving into music or revisiting his music again.  The Grammys just brings his music back to the attention of music lovers of all ages again and you get that spike after the Grammys.  His music was getting a huge lift around the globe after he died from old fans who wanted to reown albums from his youth or albums they didn't have, from fans from the '90s, college kids, on and on, from all age groups.  My cousin in college said a lot of college kids were buying Bowie albums after his death. When the other tribute shows with all of his music come out on TV, another spike will be had.  But Bowie's estate will be making a ton of money for many years to come, and Little Monsters won't be but a blip of the music-buying public. I'm sure before he died they had already laid the groundwork for releases and compilation packages, etc., knowing the huge surge of interest in Bowie that was going to happen,  I'm sure he had a hand in deciding how his own legacy was going to be handled upon his impending death, knowing he had terminal cancer.

In the UK, upon his passing, ten of his albums went into the top 40 for sales.  If you looked at the top 100, it was 19 albums, and 13 singles in the UK.  That's massive.  Ten of his albums were in the Top 200 Billboard for America.  Blackstar went through the roof in sales.  Bowie is considered the greatest musical influence across all genres of music.  Gaga, a pop star, is not the be all end all to exposing his music, as is shown on here.  Fans flock to look at her performance in threads.  But a Bowie thread, uhm, not that many of us on it.  What does that tell you?  They love Bowie's music only in relation to Gaga performing it.

.Bowie lovers are mostly from other genre lovers of music. Musical artists of all ages have been touting Bowie as a musical influence for ages in interviews from all genres.  When he died, many rock lovers who hadn't followed Bowie much were shelling out huge on albums following discussions on Bowie threads about his changes in music album to album and realizing there was so much more to Bowie than they realized.  

ViviLittleM

David Bowie

Following Lady Gaga's reverent, 10-song tribute to the late alt icon, with Nile Rodgers, two of Bowie's albums scale the Billboard 200's top 40: his final LP, January's Blackstar, up 42-22 (24,000 units, up 68 percent), and Best of Bowie, which climbs 47-39 (17,000, up 37 percent).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6889403/grammy-gains-charts-taylor-swift-kendrick-lamar-hamilton

Archived