💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How many of you thought Meghan Trainor would be a one hit wonder

Kesha

Featured Posts

Whispering

I didn't think her album would go platinum, but I knew she had potential for more hits. 

After I saw Meghan on The Voice, I knew she was smart musically. Then, I saw where she writes (actually writes) her own songs and songs for others. Add into the mix that she can actually sing live and has a good voice for radio. 

She's going to have many more hits to come.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whispering
13 hours ago, JbGaga said:

What else did she do besides AATB that charted well?...

Lets see how her next album proforms.

Gaga had 4 top 5 singles in a row off one album so....

Meghan has had two top 5s, one top 10s, and two other songs (including a feature) that were in the top 20. Her songs were definitely on the radio over the last couple of years. On top of that, her album was one of only three albums to go platinum during the year of its release. 

I don't think anyone is claiming she is having the success of Gaga, just that she isn't a one hit wonder. 

Winning a grammy doesn't exclude you from being a one hit wonder. Many people call winning "Best New Artist" the kiss of death since the majority of the winners are never heard from again. 

Just saying.

StrawberryBlond

I didn't expect her to go on to have 3 top tens and a top 20 in the US. The fact that Like I'm Gonna Lose You went top 10 after the album had been out for 5 months is rare today. But it's all going to depend on the performance of her new work. There are plenty of artists who have broken out in the last few years with a successful debut but fell into oblivion after that. You just can't tell these days. Yes, getting a platinum album is very rare now but at the same time, being new can actually make that more likely due to hype, the question is, can you keep it up? Lorde sold over a million of her debut in the US but 2.5 years later and with her next album nowhere in sight, do you really think she'll be a big deal when she comes back? Unlikely. Meghan could easily be a one album wonder - they're getting more and more common these days (I think Sam Smith's going to be the next casualty, tbh). The public just move on so quickly now and it takes someone quite different to keep their momentum going. And remember that post-AATB, she's barely had any hits internationally. LAM was forgotten about quickly and DFH and LIGLY didn't make a dent internationally (bar a #1 in Australia and NZ for the latter). Which means she could continue to be a hit in the States, not so internationally.

CakeLikeLG

she's like Lorde when it comes to commercial success. 1 Monster hit + decent album sales. Thats all. No impact

live each day like Gaga might drop an album

Her and Ariana Grande latte, yes,

But I don't really like Meghan that much. I don't know why. I think it's because she's tried to go sexier with some of her singles/collabs, and it doesn't mesh well with her image...

Archived