People who claim that haven't watched the latest episode :cool:

fvck me raw daddy

Flopenstein

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elijahfan
38 minutes ago, Warholian said:

It was definitely a publicity move. I'll be frank and say she didn't deserve to win with the women she was up against. It's clear they gave probably more rich and experienced performances than Gaga could muster. It's delusional to think that Gaga seriously outperformed all of those women on her first professional acting gig. I'm incredibly happy for her and I think she worked tremendously hard, but to say she won the award based entirely on her performance seems a little misguided. I think we should take into consideration the criticisms coming from the general public and not just defend her until we die. She didn't do anything wrong, it was the golden globes that gave the award to her.

You know, in the long history of awards, sometimes the Academy would rather award a newcomer who made a great first impression than an experienced artist. Just see Leo DiCaprio, nominated 5 times at the Oscars, never won. Meryl Streep, nominated 19 times and only won 3, which is amazing but still tame in comparison of the record-number of nominations. But also Alfred Hitchcock, who never won (can you believe it?!). Stanley Kubrick, who never won for best director, and has only 1 Oscar for visual effects.

I mean, of course it's not just a matter of talent, it's a matter of many things. It needs to be the perfect storm. It was Gaga's breakthrough as a comedian, she shined and professionals have seen what I've personally seen in her years ago, in the MTN video for instance: that she's a natural-born actrice, who's bringing back the sophistication and glamour of old Classic Hollywood. She has the talent, and it was the right moment for her. In my opinion, she totally deserved the award, and if she keeps going down that road, I think she's about to become the most iconic entertainer since Marilyn Monroe.

4 minutes ago, LebaneseDude said:

Was that not done already? What's the point in revisiting the past? 

That was the entire point of my post. There is no need to insert input even when it's obvious that there are issues, especially when your input has no impact whatsoever on what is being criticized. 

Criticism has its time and place, and with all due respect you are just pissing everyone off here who is trying to enjoy Gaga's success on her own ****ing fan site.

Also it's pretty funny how many people here are completely oblivious to the fact that they are Gaga fans and know her so well that anything she does that is "out of her Gaga character" can feel fake and contrived. 

Okay? But the reviews came out before her improvement. There's no need to get salty about this, no one is coming for her acting anymore. I also could not give any less shits if I'm making someone cry because they're delusional enough to think Gaga was 100% amazing from the beginning. It doesn't matter whether she seemed fake because she was out of character. She is an actress in the show, her job is to make us believe everything she's saying. And besides, non-fans and fans of the show also picked up on the same criticism. It was the hot topic of AHS's subreddit at the beginning of the season, because her acting did not match up to the rest of the cast then and that made her seem out of place. Her acting has also been a hot topic on the AHS subreddit lately, as everyone agrees that she has improved.

My point is that the criticism she got at the beginning of the season was not misplaced, since it was at the BEGINNING OF THE SEASON, and her acting was the worst out of the cast then. 

LebaneseDude
48 minutes ago, Warholian said:

It was definitely a publicity move. I'll be frank and say she didn't deserve to win with the women she was up against. It's clear they gave probably more rich and experienced performances than Gaga could muster. It's delusional to think that Gaga seriously outperformed all of those women on her first professional acting gig. I'm incredibly happy for her and I think she worked tremendously hard, but to say she won the award based entirely on her performance seems a little misguided. I think we should take into consideration the criticisms coming from the general public and not just defend her until we die. She didn't do anything wrong, it was the golden globes that gave the award to her.

This post is full of assumptions. 

Fun fact: You know nothing.

Edited just now by LebaneseDude.

LebaneseDude
6 minutes ago, Mast said:

Okay? But the reviews came out before her improvement. There's no need to get salty about this, no one is coming for her acting anymore. I also could not give any less shits if I'm making someone cry because they're delusional enough to think Gaga was 100% amazing from the beginning.

My point is that the criticism she got at the beginning of the season was not misplaced. 

I just got my ass kicked in League of Legends. Pardon my salt.

Anyway, I think I misunderstood the context of what is being discussed. I never even defended her intonations in her first two or three episodes. 

I just don't think it's necessary to bring back the past, and any current criticisms she is receiving about her acting given her improvement so far that are based on her first few episodes are just misguided.

7 minutes ago, LebaneseDude said:

This post is full of assumptions. 

Fun fact: You know nothing.

Why are you getting so defensive about this whole entire situation? :wtf: 

It's true, Kate Dunst deserved that award more than Gaga. I'm happy for Gaga and I can't take away her win, but her star power definitely had influence over the decision. You can't be here and tell me with a straight face that Gaga outperformed Kate Dunst.

Sorry to be so blunt but like :duck:

Michael Woodson
1 hour ago, Warholian said:

Her performance was great on AHS Hotel. She deserved that ****ing award. Just be happy for her. She worked really hard.  

LebaneseDude
Just now, Mast said:

Why are you getting so defensive about this whole entire situation? :wtf: 

It's true, Kate Dunst deserved that award more than Gaga. I'm happy for Gaga and I can't take away her win, but her star power definitely had influence over the decision. You can't be here and tell me with a straight face that Gaga outperformed Kate Dunst.

Why are you being so offensive about this whole entire situation? :green:

Why are you claiming to know what the criteria for the award choice was to make that statement?

Kirsten* (If you're going to defend her at least know her name... ) may be a better actress in terms of intonation, but other criteria can be impact, gravitas, confidence, body language, etc...

Are you saying that no award was ever given for these things? Weren't people saying that Cersei (forgot her name) deserved an award for walking naked?

Seriously. Stop.

Just now, LebaneseDude said:

Why are you being so offensive about this whole entire situation? :green:

Why are you claiming to know what the criteria for the award choice was to make that statement?

Kirsten* (If you're going to defend her at least know her name... ) may be a better actress in terms of intonation, but other criteria can be impact, gravitas, confidence, body language, etc...

Are you saying that no award was ever given for these things? Weren't people saying that Cersei (forgot her name) deserved an award for walking naked?

Seriously. Stop.

**Kristen, sorry :green:

Did you watch Fargo? Because Kristen literally embodied everything you just mentioned perfectly. Everyone expected her to win because of how amazing she did, it didn't have to do with just intonation. 

This alone: 

Michael Woodson
1 hour ago, Son of Venus said:

People who claim that haven't watched the show at all :cool:

I fixed it for you.

PaperIz

I'm in love with her acting. The countess is suppose to be reserved. And if you don't think she's been showing emotion then you haven't been paying attention the passed few episodes lol

LePetitGAGABLover
16 minutes ago, Mast said:

Did you watch Fargo? Because Kristen literally embodied everything you just mentioned perfectly. Everyone expected her to win because of how amazing she did, it didn't have to do with just intonation. 

This alone: 

Well. I agree, Gaga under-acted. However, Kristen over-acted.

LebaneseDude
19 minutes ago, Mast said:

This alone: 

Well, now that I'm focusing on her acting, it was very blatantly obvious that she was overemoting the entire time. The entire scene didn't feel natural at all. 

Perhaps if I was actually enjoying the show rather than focusing on criticizing her, I'd actually enjoy her performance more.

Reality

The Countess is a pretty complex character to play, though it fits Gaga perfectly! Because The Countess has such a history, and because she know a lot and has experienced a lot She doesn't really care, nor does she show really any sort of emotion—though there are specific examples of when she does. The Countess has one thing that has stuck with her though, and Gaga's said it herself, and that is confidence. The Countess is a very strong and independent person, and I think Gaga does the job nicely. 

However, that being said, she's embraced the character and has really shined through the latter episodes. The first few episodes were a little rough for her, not going to lie about that, but she's certainly improved over the course of each episode. It's her first major, real, acting gig, and people shouldn't be so judgmental to her about it.

They're just looking for another thing to cry about. 

🃏🖤👹

I thought it was interesting how, in an interview, Ryan Murphy (I think?) talked about how they'd do multiple takes, with Gaga giving different readings of the lines every time (and noting this as the mark of a real actress). It therefore seems likely that the "flat" readings in some scenes were intentionally chosen by the director -- especially since we can see, in other scenes, that she doesn't have to act that way.

(But I have no opinion on whether Gaga deserved the award over the other nominees, since I haven't seen their shows.)

Archived