💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The "Not-Vampires" of AHS

Leo

Featured Posts

This may contain spoilers of the season as a whole!

Ryan Murphy in 2012: "there will never be werewolves or vampires"

Ryan Murphy in 2015: "I liked doing vampirism but I didn’t wanna do vampires"

I think we've all reached a point of referring to characters like The Countess and the people she turns as "vampires", I mean she says it herself in episode 2(?), when she 'turns' Tristan: "We were all vampires back then". But, Gaga said in her interview on the night of the premiere that the character wasn't a vampire.

I'm not trying to make a thread to argue "Murphy went back on his word!" or to make any claim that they are/aren't vampires, but I find it very interesting how the show plays with common traits of vampires.

- Ageless: obviously, the characters stop aging at the point they are turned, whether you are an older individual like Ramona's father, or a youthful woman like Iris. 

- Fangs: "We don't bite, we cut". The Countess refutes this during Tristan's exposition/Q&A session.

- No reflections: The Countess has a few scenes in front of mirrors, so this (even though it's kind of a classic rule of vampires, doesn't count in Hotel).

- Fatalities: It seems like, while they are more resilient than normal people, vampires can be killed in AHS just like regular old folk. We've seen a few die in a variety of ways, shot in the head, having their throat slit, drowned. (Note than one particular vampire was beheaded, either before their death or after, and decapitation is one of the traditional ways to kill a vampire).

- Sunlight: Saps their vitality, but doesn't kill.

Photographs: This is mentioned twice in the show, in not too obvious ways. Liz mentions to the Countess in her epic "Buy your own damn flowerssssss" speech that the Countess wouldn't like papa-paparazzi because she doesn't photograph well. A few episodes later, Ramona mentions that she looks good enough for pictures, if she could be photographed that is. So it seems these vampires meet the criteria that vampires do not appear in photographs. EDIT: As Drew mentioned, Scarlett took a selfie with her brother, although it did appear blurry.

- Invitation: This is perhaps the most interesting element of this season, I believe.

And I think Ryan was very clever to put vampires, in a hotel. One of the attributes of a vampire is that they cannot enter a home unless they are invited in. This is an idea that goes way back to some of the earliest vampire stories. So a vampire has to ask to come in before they can. Someone could correct me, but I think this is followed in the show. 

The Countess asks "may I come in?" when she tracks down Valentino. Donovan brings a "peace offering" and requests entry when he visits Ramona. And I think Ramona asks her father if he'll have her back when she returns after all those years. 

But the terrifying part is that the Countess owns the hotel, so the rules don't apply when she owns the building. Your room is her room. Ryan said he was scared of hotels, where everyone has a copy of your key and you are sharing a building with other people. Put vampires in there and suddenly they don't need permission to stand over your bed. Which is why I think having vampires and hotel in the same season works so perfectly.

Can anyone think of anymore "vampirisms" that do or do not apply to the show? There are dozens more but these are just the few I could muster :air: And feel free to drag me if I got anything wrong, which I probably did :gaycat: 

Didymus

"But the terrifying part is that the Countess owns the hotel, so the rules don't apply when she owns the building. Your room is her room. Ryan said he was scared of hotels, where everyone has a copy of your key and you are sharing a building with other people. Put vampires in there and suddenly they don't need permission to stand over your bed. Which is why I think having vampires and hotel in the same season works so perfectly."

Wow. That's an amazing thought..

There are so many good ideas in this show omg. It bothers me that they're not really being used other than serving as details that aren't part of the plot.

Nice read :applause:

SlayMeToVenus
2 minutes ago, DrewStevens said:

Holden was photographed by Scarlett tho

It was blurry. 

I don't have a Diamond Heart.

Didymus

I'm currently doing some basic reading on "Vampire lifestyle" as an actual subculture. Some elements that would fit with Hotel:

- drinking of blood, preferrably human, in the belief that it gives them strength
- emphasis on imagery involving combined sexual conduct and bloodletting
- general focus on sexuality (coming from vampire fiction)
- elements of sadomasochism
- link with crime: famous "vampiric" killers (ex. Tracey Wigginton)

Maybe he got some inspiration from that too.

5 minutes ago, DrewStevens said:

Holden was photographed by Scarlett tho

Good point! I forgot about that. But yeah, it was very blurry, I suppose why it was blurry could be taken either way.

DrewStevens
Just now, Leo said:

Good point! I forgot about that. But yeah, it was very blurry, I suppose why it was blurry could be taken either way.

I think they forgot about that photo when they wrote those lines addressing that part about vampirism. He was shown in the screen of the phone before she took the picture so the blur wouldn't be caused by the virus but by the movement.

Didymus

Something I still don't get though is how the (non-)vampiric current is transmitted. If I understood correctly, it's all about the consumption of already infected blood? 'cause obviously simply biting someone isn't enough to infect them - when they hurt someone they hurt to kill and that's it.

To transmit it there's always some sadomasochistic element involved: cutting open the own body instead of harming the victim. I don't think there's any sadomasochism in vampiric tradition, right? In Hotel it seems that the virus is only transmitted willingly.

Can someone remind me again how the virus even started?

Edit: Hold on, now I remember the kids' conversion.. that didn't occur with infected blood, did it? The kid that started the school mess was infected by blood transfusion, but the other kids just drank regular blood, right? So now I'm confused.

andy232000
7 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Something I still don't get though is how the (non-)vampiric current is transmitted. If I understood correctly, it's all about the consumption of already infected blood? 'cause obviously simply biting someone isn't enough to infect them - when they hurt someone they hurt to kill and that's it.

To transmit it there's always some sadomasochistic element involved: cutting open the own body instead of harming the victim. I don't think there's any sadomasochism in vampiric tradition, right? In Hotel it seems that the virus is only transmitted willingly.

Edit: Hold on, now I remember the kids' conversion.. that didn't occur with infected blood, did it? The kid that started the school mess was infected by blood transfusion, but the other kids just drank regular blood, right? So now I'm confused.

Almost. You dont need to 'drink' the already infecte blood, it just has to have contact with your own blood. The first kid was infected via transfusion and then he cut himself and made te other drink from him

3 minutes ago, brooklynnightss said:

before she met the countess, I thought?

Oh, probably! I just assumed she continued making movies after she was turned.

19 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Those damn kids were one of the worst things of this season :air: 

Archived