Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Universal passes on Barbra's "Gypsy"

Spock

Featured Posts

As theater fans eagerly await the much talked about movie adaptation of GYPSY, starring Barbra Streisand in the iconic role of Mamma Rose, the project has suffered another setback, according to Deadline.

Universal Pictures, the studio which has been developing the film for several years, has decided not to move forward with it. It now remains in the hands of Streisand and producer Joel Silver to find another backer for the project, which Deadline says is "ready to go."

As of now, Universal has given no explanation as to why they did an about-face on their involvement. It is speculated that it may be related to the poor showing of their recent Steve Jobs biopic and its inability to attract mainstream audiences, something that GYSPY would have to do in order to be a money-maker for the studio.

Earlier this month, John Travolta spoke to ExtraTV about joining the project and the possibility that Lady Gaga would also sign on, sharing "Well, yeah, I mean Barbra has been wanting to do GYPSY for years, and she's been developing it, and I think she always visualized Gaga as Louise and maybe me as Herbie."

Streisand's new GYPSY film been one of the most talked about (and most stalled) musical projects of the past few years. Streisand had been working with Universal Picturessince 2011. This would be the third movie version of GYPSY, which was first captured on film in 1962 (starring Rosalind Russell) and then again in 1993 for television (starring Bette Midler).

Screenwriter and THE LAST FIVE YEARS director Richard LaGravenese said earlier this year that the screenplay has been finished since before Christmas. The project is a reunion for the duo -- LaGravenese worked with Streisand on THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES in 1996. Downton Abbey scribe Jullian Fellowes is set to pen the screenplay.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Barbra-Streisands-GYPSY-Will-Not-Move-Forward-at-Universal-Pictures-20151027

who will love me when the night is over

RAMROD

Ofc films about Jobs flopped, we got a super thick biography book and a film about him before this one last year.

What can be told more about him that people haven't know?

Unfortunate they passed on the opportunity.

Life goes on, hope this film will come into fruition.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

manicholic

i hope it can get made sometime but this sounds like a huge setback

mostly because it represents our current culture allows very little room for movies now

it's big franchise blockbusters or super cool low-budget indie flicks

a famous musical that has narrow (gay) appeal done with A list stars will prove costly with not much room to recoup

maybe netflix / amazon will pick it up

There's nothing harder for people to do than admit they were fooled.

SpadesToStart

Ofc films about Jobs flopped, we got a super thick biography book and a film about him before this one last year.

Also, how exactly does a biopic about a tech genius cater to the same demographic as a new adaptation of a classic musical?  I didn't go see Jobs, but I would go to see Gypsy (with or without Gaga involved).  Into The Woods was super successful last year, so there's obviously a market for musicals.

LoveandMagic

Come on, gimme that thing I'm sure to love!

Universal needs a spanking!

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Archived