💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Ridley Scott accused of 'whitewashing' Asian roles in The Martian

Serendipity

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

I also noticed that the white latinos such as Julie Gonzalo and Carlos Ponce who are both argentinian or puerto rican mostly just get white roles. They are discriminated against white media because white media has this image of what a latino looks like not knowing latino isn't really a race and the community if filled with many people of all shades of the book. 

Yeah. The white latinos always get the more "prestigious" and white-washed roles. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bette Davis

People always discuss discrimination and representation in the film and the entertainment industry and tbh I feel like Asians have it the worst by far. I'm glad it's finally being discussed.

Cold as ice cream, but still as sweet.

politicqxs

The original author says Park could be a white surname and Kapoor could be a black/Indian mix.. lol

giving up sodomy and moving to 🇦🇪 converting to ☪ and marrying four girls

Serendipity

I don't see what's wrong with white washing.

Movie makers want to sell their movies. Then they have to choose actors who will sell the product they are making. It's really simple. People complain about everything.

Ever thought about those millions of Asian Americans who want to act?

Have you ever seen a big movie starring an Asian, other than cheesy action flick (starring well established legends from China)

Another thing

Asian =/=Chinese

Have you ever seen any Indian or Middle Eastern actor?

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

Mitch XCX

i mean the director can cast who he/she likes...i don't see the problem

if it was a black director I'm sure the cast would be predominantly black

Serendipity

People always discuss discrimination and representation in the film and the entertainment industry and tbh I feel like Asians have it the worst by far. I'm glad it's finally being discussed.

Asians also face severe discrimination even in music

There has never been a major singer of any Asian origin over the course of history except one or two annoying 2 hit wonders that fade into oblivion

Serendipity

Kill Bill maybe ? I don't know

In general it like that:

Black people: criminals, thugs, lower class in movies 

Not when you have Halle Berry, Zoe Saldana.........the list goes on

Asian: over intelligent, speaking with accents

There are very well spoken Asian actors I bet out there

Hispanic/Latinos: Immigrants, usually live in poor neighborhoods and have to overcome some obstacle. Always speak "Spanglish" :lmao: Food and customs exaggerated while whites think they're so exotic for eating at Chipotle :rip: 

I think JLo established herself as a force tho

Not when you have Halle Berry, Zoe Saldana.........the list goes on

There are very well spoken Asian actors I bet out there

I think JLo established herself as a force tho

Exceptions always exists. But I'm talking about the majority of Hollywood movies 

Serendipity

i mean the director can cast who he/she likes...i don't see the problem

if it was a black director I'm sure the cast would be predominantly black

based on the bestselling novel by Andy Weir, features a diverse set of characters, two of which are Asian yet are played by white and black actors on screen.

It is based on a book, where there are diverse races, yet no hint of any Asian in the movie

Serendipity

Exceptions always exists. But I'm talking about the majority of Hollywood movies 

Exactly my point

Just because Lucy Liu, Bruce Lee and Jet Lee got roles does not invalidate the fact that there is any less racism

another point: their stage names are mostly Western

Didymus

"So few projects are written specifically with Asian-American characters in them and he’s now changed them to a white woman and black man. This was a great opportunity to give meaty roles to talented Asian American actors – and boost their careers"

This is hilarious bs. As if a director cares, or should care, about this.

That being said, I'm tired of Ridley's "If I didn't do this, I wouldn't be able to make a movie this big" excuses. Even though it's true, you don't need to brush it off as if that somehow makes it right and be an asshole about it. Just a slight change of words and tone could make people sympathise with him instead of justly insulting him even more. In any case, I'm glad people are starting to get fed up by these money-hungry wolves. Since it's all about the money, I say boycott the **** out of them.

Limited films are better anyway :lolly:

homomo

I read the novel last year, and honestly, I don't remember it describing Mindy as Asian in any way. As for Vincent, maybe they tried to find someone racially fit for the role, but couldn't find a perfect acting match, or someone Indian who could portray the character. People should stop pulling the race card. Only 

homomo

based on the bestselling novel by Andy Weir, features a diverse set of characters, two of which are Asian yet are played by white and black actors on screen.

It is based on a book, where there are diverse races, yet no hint of any Asian in the movie

Maybe they tried to cast someone who was Asian; however, they weren't good enough for the role.

You could fit the physical description perfectly; however, if you have a bad audition, you probably aren't getting that role.

Serendipity

I read the novel last year, and honestly, I don't remember it describing Mindy as Asian in any way. As for Vincent, maybe they tried to find someone racially fit for the role, but couldn't find a perfect acting match, or someone Indian who could portray the character. People should stop pulling the race card. Only 

more like didn't even try:saladga:

Archived