💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
review

Reviews of AHS Hotel [Updated]

AgusPop

Featured Posts

CannaeDrive

New York Times is mixed on the episode and (unfortunately) negative on Gaga.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/07/arts/television/review-american-horror-story-hotel-as-depraved-as-ever.html?_r=0

---

The phantasmagoric accouterments include Lady Gaga, the most notable addition to the cast, who appears halfway through the episode as a Joan Crawford-like predator called the Countess.

“American Horror Story” has always depended on its performers to give some flesh and feeling to its spindly armature of high design and old-movie pastiche, and “Hotel” suffers from the absence of Jessica Lange, who has left the series, and Lily Rabe, who is scheduled to appear in only a couple of episodes. In Ms. Lange’s absence, the role of malevolent den mother appears to have gone to Lady Gaga, and that’s a pretty steep drop-off.

---

And that's it. What pisses me off about this is that he doesn't even do her the courtesy of explaining why he didn't care for her performance. He's comparing her two scenes to Lange's entire AHS legacy, which suggests to me that he had his review written before he even watched.

I stopped taking the NYTimes seriously and not bother with their fake hipster style critics after they gave a lame lukewarm review for Bob Dylan's Shadows in the Night album of songs from Franck Sinatra. As for AHS and Gaga, we can safely say that the buzz is positive so far.

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit sad that first bigger media outlet did not care for Gaga. A bit unfare to compare. And guys dont just say any negative ones that might come are automaticly biased or something...but luckily so many positives! Majority so far. Uuuu its so close! Im so ready whatever The critics may say! Loving this project!

AgusPop

I am pleasantly surprised the Critics are mainly positives so far. Of course, there are some bad reviews. but I am surprised because the TV/Movie critics are always extremely hard and severe about the singers who enter in the acting world. even I would say: unfair and biased. This happened to Madonna, Rihanna, Taylor etc..They think it's "cool" to criticize a pop star who is acting in a movie or tv serie

I am pleasantly surprised the Critics are mainly positives so far. Of course, there are some bad reviews. but I am surprised because the TV/Movie critics are always extremely hard and severe about the singers who enter in the acting world. even I would say: unfair and biased. This happened to Madonna, Rihanna, Taylor etc..They think it's "cool" to criticize a pop star who is acting in a movie or tv serie

how many bad? The ones you already posted or others?

Bad Monster Kid

very true. Perfect example would be Mariah Carey's Glitter and Beyoncé in Austin Powers. Both of these were their first dive into the acting world. Both were roasted by critics and to be honest the performances were awful. However both divas recovered with later work. Mariah Carey in Precious and Beyoncé in Dream Girls. 

Almost forgot about Madonna. Critics did not like her in Who's That Girl. She also later recovered with Evita. 

AgusPop

how many bad? The ones you already posted or others?

there are 2, one is very severe about Gaga the other is just biased.

jezze0410

To be fair, though, all the NYTimes review pointed out was that Gaga was no replacement for Lange, which is a justifiable observation; Lange is a seasoned actress--one of the all time greats--with wins and nominations across every reputable acting award, whereas Gaga is a newcomer in her first extended acting role. If Lange were to perform a musical show-piece at the Oscars in lieu of Gaga, I'm sure the reviews would be similarly negative... 

What I do oppose quite vehemently is the media's incessant rambling about Gaga "replacing" Lange. They bring completely different things to the table, and all this talk of replacement inadvertently antagonises Gaga somewhat.

DrewStevens

It's Metacritic score went down again (from 68 to 66). 

It's quite funny considering the seasons with the highest critic scores are the seasons with the lowest users scores.

DrewStevens

Looks like a 2.5/4 to me. Which would explain the review. 

Oops sorry typo. I meant to type 2 and not 3.

Bad Monster Kid

Goodmenproject.com review 

Great review for Gaga and the Show!

http://goodmenproject.com/all-things-geek/american-horror-story-hotel-chapter-1-checking-in-review-xela/

"(Matt Bomber) and “The Countess” and (an impressive acting debut for Lady Gaga) they strut their stuff in Haute Couture and Gaga effectively chews the scenery whenever she’s on camera. She does a fair job of stepping in to Jessica Lang’s stilettos. http://goodmenproject.com/all-things-geek/american-horror-story-hotel-chapter-1-checking-in-review-xela/#sthash.BZhBgJZA.dpuf

thehanyo

To be fair, though, all the NYTimes review pointed out was that Gaga was no replacement for Lange, which is a justifiable observation; Lange is a seasoned actress--one of the all time greats--with wins and nominations across every reputable acting award, whereas Gaga is a newcomer in her first extended acting role. If Lange were to perform a musical show-piece at the Oscars in lieu of Gaga, I'm sure the reviews would be similarly negative... 

What I do oppose quite vehemently is the media's incessant rambling about Gaga "replacing" Lange. They bring completely different things to the table, and all this talk of replacement inadvertently antagonises Gaga somewhat.

The Countess was clearly originally written for Lange. Then Gaga called Ryan and poof, Lange "wanted to do a play" for one season. Gaga is clearly replacing Lange this season, but the network obviously doesn't want the public to think she should be as good as Lange, so the FX PR machine has been in full gear trying to delineate the two.

Archived